Your favorite Duncan

Image
    Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Your favorite Duncan/ Duncan ghola?

Duncan Idaho the original
5
15%
Hayt/ Duncan Idaho
12
36%
Duncan Idaho: Last Idaho of the Tyrant
11
33%
Duncan Idaho: 12th Idaho of the BG Project
5
15%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
Drunken Idaho
Posts: 1197
Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Drunken Idaho » 03 Oct 2008 17:20

orald wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:How can anyone say they never liked the character?

Because they're infidel preeks? :x

Or because they're afraid of his rampant masculinity. 8)


I chose the 4th option, because God Leto's Duncan was a bit of an ass, what with not agreeing with God Leto, killing his earthly(Rakisly?) avatar(because you know he's not truly dead) and all, or putting up with whiny Siona.

Duncan #12 on the other hand has matured and had a better perpective on things.


Yeah he is rather masculine. I think it's at least implied in every book that he bangs someone.

The BG Duncan was good for that reason... I loved when he got his memories back and recalled the Tyrant killing him hundreds of times. Good stuff. Also, let's not forget that it's this Duncan who is the Kwisatz Awesomach!

User avatar
The Sons of Idaho
Posts: 90
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 18:38
Location: The Festival City of Onn

Postby The Sons of Idaho » 03 Oct 2008 19:03

Drunken Idaho wrote:You guys confuse me...

To me, Duncan IS Dune.


I see it the same way (i guess thats not surprising, given our usernames).
I was really surprised to hear people say they didn't like the character.

And also, without him, I think the story would be missing an important literary device. He's the one thing that ties the books together. I think it would be difficult to write a book set thousands of years after the last one if the readers didn't have a character that they recognized and could relate to.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...

User avatar
The Sons of Idaho
Posts: 90
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 18:38
Location: The Festival City of Onn

Postby The Sons of Idaho » 03 Oct 2008 19:06

Drunken Idaho wrote:Also, let's not forget that it's this Duncan who is the Kwisatz Awesomach!


I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Postby Mandy » 03 Oct 2008 19:14

I liked GEoD Duncan the best. The first Duncan wasn't around long enough, Hayt was cool, but to angst filled, and the last Duncan was a bit pervy.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 03 Oct 2008 20:46

Mandy wrote:and the last Duncan was a bit pervy.

No, that was FH being horny. Even a prophet has needs*. :P


*Well, maybe Aeron is too fucked up to have any. Bet he reeks too, though no one seem to mention it for some reason(even if he "washes" several times a day).
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
cmsahe
Posts: 598
Joined: 26 Aug 2008 22:40
Location: Mexico City

Re: Your favorite Duncan

Postby cmsahe » 03 Oct 2008 22:34

guild navigator wrote:Well, it looks like KJA and BH are gonna be doing some Duncans on their own in the book Leto of Dune..It's surprising that after 10 books they haven't covered this yet. Anyways, who is your favorite of the four major Duncans in the originals?


Duncan Macleod of the clan Macleod ;) I read that Peter Davies/David Panzer created this immortal (an immortal swordsman) based on Duncan Idaho .


Going back to the topic:
Duncan Idaho: 12th Idaho of the BG Project
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.


Who We Are and What We Stand For
http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe

User avatar
chanilover
Posts: 1639
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

Postby chanilover » 04 Oct 2008 10:19

I didn't like Duncan, he was a prick.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Image
Image

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 04 Oct 2008 14:21

Why, because the 3rd one was homophobic(not to mention a heretic to God Leto! :x )? The 4th is much better.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Rakis
Posts: 1583
Joined: 16 Feb 2008 00:00

Postby Rakis » 04 Oct 2008 22:57

I like the fourth one better because of all the lives he lived mixed into one; and the mystery he represented after the last two books that we will never know...
Image

User avatar
Tyrant
Posts: 381
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:45
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Tyrant » 05 Oct 2008 03:32

i cant believe the one that killed Leto is in first..that duncan was such a whiny dick
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!

User avatar
Drunken Idaho
Posts: 1197
Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Drunken Idaho » 05 Oct 2008 20:03

orald wrote:Why, because the 3rd one was homophobic(not to mention a heretic to God Leto! :x )? The 4th is much better.


I don't think he was simply homophobic. He was opposed to encouraging such activity within a military.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 06 Oct 2008 10:22

Somewhat, but it didn't stop him from having fun. Only gays(or rather lesbians in this case) seem to envoke his anger.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.



I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2821
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 06 Oct 2008 10:26

orald wrote:Somewhat, but it didn't stop him from having fun. Only gays(or rather lesbians in this case) seem to envoke his anger.


Why was he homophobic? I mean was there a reason why he disliked the lesbian relationships within the Fishspeakers?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

halcyo
Posts: 107
Joined: 13 Feb 2008 16:08

Postby halcyo » 06 Oct 2008 10:35

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I can't honestly say that I ever really liked the character.

:?


I didn't either, but I voted for the original.


You guys confuse me...

To me, Duncan IS Dune.

I voted for Leto II's final Duncan. My favourite book plus my favourite character (tied with Leto II anyway)...


I agree that Duncan is obviously a MAJOR part of Dune. The fact that he is the ONLY element in EVERY book suggests that he was far more important to Frank than just an interesting 'tie in' between the novels. The Duncans are an amazing mechanism for Frank to use as a contrast to his god-like, grandiose characters. I'm surprised that so many die hard fans view him as some kind of 'side character' or something.

That being said, we didn't know much about the original, but he did leave us on a very courageous note. Hayt is an excellent, tortured character. I can't pick the GEoD Duncan as my favorite, because his purpose was to basically spoil Leto's devious fun, and I liked Leto too much! I'd say the Duncan of the last two novels are my favorite by far...

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18123
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Oct 2008 11:01

It's not that he was a minor character, for the most part I think his purpose was to show a point of view from a common man.

I believe I've read FH interviews where he said he brought the character back because of overwhelming fan sentiment.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

halcyo
Posts: 107
Joined: 13 Feb 2008 16:08

Postby halcyo » 06 Oct 2008 11:07

Freakzilla wrote:It's not that he was a minor character, for the most part I think his purpose was to show a point of view from a common man.

I believe I've read FH interviews where he said he brought the character back because of overwhelming fan sentiment.


Well, the only problem I have with that is that I'd hardly consider Duncan to be a 'common man'. Obviously he is quite the badass, and I think it's more accurate to describe him as 'the man that most common men wish to be', ya know?!

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18123
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Oct 2008 11:12

halcyo wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's not that he was a minor character, for the most part I think his purpose was to show a point of view from a common man.

I believe I've read FH interviews where he said he brought the character back because of overwhelming fan sentiment.


Well, the only problem I have with that is that I'd hardly consider Duncan to be a 'common man'. Obviously he is quite the badass, and I think it's more accurate to describe him as 'the man that most common men wish to be', ya know?!


True, but he's much closer to the common man than Paul, Leto II or a Reverend Mother.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18123
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Oct 2008 11:25

Baraka Bryan wrote:
halcyo wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's not that he was a minor character, for the most part I think his purpose was to show a point of view from a common man.

I believe I've read FH interviews where he said he brought the character back because of overwhelming fan sentiment.


Well, the only problem I have with that is that I'd hardly consider Duncan to be a 'common man'. Obviously he is quite the badass, and I think it's more accurate to describe him as 'the man that most common men wish to be', ya know?!



i think by common man, Freak is getting at his not being a KH, not being a 'god' not being an emperor, not being anything more than an absolutely loyal soldier, commander, friend...
... that all despite his many unique talents that eventually develop towards the last one we see in heretics/Chapterhouse


Exactly, I'm not sure where FH was going with Duncan in the last book but there's nothing he could have done to affect all of mankind, despite what Pinky & The Brian wrote. I'm kind of glad it didn't go any further, Teg's super-speed was kind of overboard for my Dune taste.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Tyrant
Posts: 381
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:45
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby Tyrant » 06 Oct 2008 11:38

Freakzilla wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
halcyo wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's not that he was a minor character, for the most part I think his purpose was to show a point of view from a common man.

I believe I've read FH interviews where he said he brought the character back because of overwhelming fan sentiment.


Well, the only problem I have with that is that I'd hardly consider Duncan to be a 'common man'. Obviously he is quite the badass, and I think it's more accurate to describe him as 'the man that most common men wish to be', ya know?!



i think by common man, Freak is getting at his not being a KH, not being a 'god' not being an emperor, not being anything more than an absolutely loyal soldier, commander, friend...
... that all despite his many unique talents that eventually develop towards the last one we see in heretics/Chapterhouse


Exactly, I'm not sure where FH was going with Duncan in the last book but there's nothing he could have done to affect all of mankind, despite what Pinky & The Brian wrote. I'm kind of glad it didn't go any further, Teg's super-speed was kind of overboard for my Dune taste.


blasphemy!!! Teg is probably my second favorite Dune character ..i dont really see how you could consider tegs "speed" as overboard...after all..he is Atreides .... which you obviously know were known for their "talents"... what are your thoughts on his being able to see no-ships?
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2517
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 06 Oct 2008 11:48

I'm on the fence about the super speed. Maybe Frank was heading in a direction to break through prescience and just move into an awareness that was above time. Muad'dib and Leto II have mental prescience, Teg breaks through it into physical 'prescience'.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18123
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Oct 2008 12:08

Tyrant wrote:blasphemy!!! Teg is probably my second favorite Dune character ..i dont really see how you could consider tegs "speed" as overboard...after all..he is Atreides .... which you obviously know were known for their "talents"... what are your thoughts on his being able to see no-ships?


I thought Teg was a great character too, better than Duncan.

I saw Teg's ability to see no-ships as a natural progression, kind of like a technology race but in evolution.

I thought that could possibly be a threat to the Golden Path if and only if The Scattering had stalled beyond Leto's Vision.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

halcyo
Posts: 107
Joined: 13 Feb 2008 16:08

Postby halcyo » 06 Oct 2008 14:21

Freakzilla wrote:True, but he's much closer to the common man than Paul, Leto II or a Reverend Mother.


No, no, I understand, and I agree - I was just clarifying I guess.


As far as Teg's speed goes, it also was one of the few things that caused me to 'half wince'. But I guess Leto's superhuman speed and power from the sandtrout skin was kind of similar in terms of 'sci fi superpowers' (even though that is more 'explainable')...

It's definitely one of those elements of the series, that if made into a film by some hot shot director, would be a super retarded Matrix rip off, when in fact, there are probably more subtle ways to imagine it looking.

User avatar
chanilover
Posts: 1639
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

Postby chanilover » 06 Oct 2008 15:26

orald wrote:Why, because the 3rd one was homophobic(not to mention a heretic to God Leto! :x )? The 4th is much better.


No, it's because he's a dullard. I think he was brought back in GEoD mostly for exposition purposes, and Frank kept him around for the last two books for no reason whatsoever.

Oh, of course, he's the ULTIMATE KH. Everything is ultimate for Kevvy - ultra spice, ultimate KH, thunderous orgasms (ultragasms?). I'm still recovering from Sandworms of Dune, it was ultra-dire.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Image
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18123
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 06 Oct 2008 15:32

chanilover wrote:I'm still recovering from Sandworms of Dune, it was ultra-dire.


:lol:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
TheDukester
Posts: 3808
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
Location: Operation Enduring Bacon
Contact:

Postby TheDukester » 06 Oct 2008 16:00

chanilover wrote:I'm still recovering from Sandworms of Dune, it was ultra-dire.

You made it back to the light? Apologies if you posted the news somewhere else, but I hadn't heard that you'd successfully (if that's even the right word) made it through Waterworms. Have your eyes stopped bleeding yet?

Oh, and I'll add one more "ultra": ultra-Star Wars. The more I look into the subject, the more I'm convinced that Kevvie thinks Dune is just another Star Wars. Mentats, Bene Gesserit, Face Dancers, Navigators, and on and on ... they're all just Jedi to The Comb-Over.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.


Return to “˱”