Favorite Dune Encyclopedia articles

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

The Sons of Idaho

Favorite Dune Encyclopedia articles

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

So I really like the Dune Encyclopedia. I like the detail it goes into, its really cool to see another author's perspective on the Duniverse, and I think it was pretty well done.
I've never tried to read it all the way through though. Every once in a while I'll just read a few random articles (and I'm usually pleasantly surprised).

So i'm curious... what are some interesting articles that you guys have found?

A few that stand out for me are the alternate stories of Muad'dib's life.
me in another thread wrote: One of the stories speculates that Paul was actually killed in the Harkonnen attack and a charismatic Fremen leader stepped up and claimed his name/title to facilitate a revolution.
There are also some stories about the young Muad'dib wandering in the desert and encountering desert demons that tested him with riddles and challenges. It reminded me of something like the Bible - it tells the stories of real people, but the stories have become distorted, and history ends up reading like fiction.
Already, someone pointed out an entry about a "pleasure planet" that I wasn't aware of (silly as it may be). So I'm hoping to find some others that I might not have come across.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I like to read random passages, too ... whatever seems interesting at the moment.

I thought they did a great job with the Sardaukar articles. And DE's explanation of the Landsraad really helped me understand the series better when I was younger.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

TheDukester wrote:I thought they did a great job with the Sardaukar articles. And DE's explanation of the Landsraad really helped me understand the series better when I was younger.
I like how much detail he goes into on stuff like this. The Sardaukar ranking system is layed out in detail and they have family crests for dozens of Noble Houses.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
guild navigator

Post by guild navigator »

I'd say I definitely prefer the DE over the prequels. After I reread the originals again (currently on GEoD) I'm planning to do my first ever cover to cover read of the DE. I personally like the Duncan articles, it didn't seem like anything FH would write with female Duncans, gay Duncans, and a Duncan that was a recreation of the BT KH!!! Interesting articles nonetheless, though.
If I ever stopped writing, my head would explode.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

guild navigator wrote:I'd say I definitely prefer the DE over the prequels. After I reread the originals again (currently on GEoD) I'm planning to do my first ever cover to cover read of the DE. I personally like the Duncan articles, it didn't seem like anything FH would write with female Duncans, gay Duncans, and a Duncan that was a recreation of the BT KH!!! Interesting articles nonetheless, though.
That's something I've never had the ambition to do. Besides it being a huge book, I agree that a lot of the articles are way off. I've probably skimmed most of them though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My favorite one is about the giant clams that they use as engines to run the ornithopters. That one never fails to entertain.

I like the one on Holtzman too. Forever orbitting, only making contact a few times before the Jihad found him and skragged his metallic ass.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:My favorite one is about the giant clams that they use as engines to run the ornithopters. That one never fails to entertain.
That was probably one of the strangest, I wonder if that author misinterpreted the proscriptions of the Butlerian Jihad.
I like the one on Holtzman too. Forever orbitting, only making contact a few times before the Jihad found him and skragged his metallic ass.
I thought that one was good. He was in some crazy orbit and only appeared like every 3,000 years or something and each time he has some new astounding application for his theories.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman