A little jihad of our own?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Motivated wrote:So tell me... how exactly did we all prove our point?
By winning every single discussion on the issue.

The PR-war, on the other hand, is lost. It is about money and lawyers, and we do not have a chance.
Such is life, and such is the internet for a generation more - until better tools and better users come along and find out that copyright means nothing with regards to canon and that sites that censor are inherently bullshit.
I recommend helping out the EFF, the FSF and the FSLC to hasten that day.

In the meantime, take comfort in the fact that we have members here who actually read the prequels first, but were still able to see how horribly wrong they were compared to the ideas and themes in Frank's books - no amount of lies and stupid reductions can hide their brilliance, not for those who are willing to read real literature.

And those who are not able to differentiate between literature and pulp were never the audience for Dune anyway...

If you want to cross the line, go steal the notes ;-)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I just want us to stay on the moral high ground.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, let's huddle together on that rapidly eroding slope and shiver together, spheencters clenched.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have to point out that as a student of literature we have already won this war. The battles that remain are in dispute yes (Heroes books, Great School Books) but in the end there is no way the new books will ever be considered canon by the people who actually determine that.

Again, the fact that they are on the defensive now shows that we are having an effect.

It's pointless to resort to illegal means to win a war we've already won.

I think its Hypo
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Motivated wrote:We haven't won anything... because Brian and Kevin are still writing and publishing crap with the name Dune on it.
That's odd. I didn't realize we were involved in a contest or a game of some sort that actually has a final score. I don't actually see a scoreboard ... :?

I'm not here to win anything, brother. Third grade was a long time ago; I don't play make-believe any longer.

If you think the definition of "winning" includes stopping the publication of further Dune materials, then I'm going to tell you straight-up: you are fucking delusional. There will be a Leto book. There will be a Jessica book. There will be a movie. No fan community can possibly influence those events to the point where the publishers decide not to publish. There's too many dollars at stake and too many members of the HLP who need their paydays. And they've got too good of a money-making formula: have KJA re-write some of his Young Jedi crap and sell it to the 12-year-olds. Everyone cashes a check; everyone is happy.

The only "victories" to be had in this situation are small (but important) ones. Every potential preek who is shown the error of his ways is a soul (not to mention mind) that is saved. Every potential customer who walks out of B&N without any faux-Dune books thinking "I've heard that the writers suck" is a few dollars kept out of the HLP coffers.

Beyond that, though ... let's not pretend. The HLP will keep publishing this shit, one per year, until the end of time. Having already admitted that they hate Frank Herbert and have sold their souls to the dollar, why would they ever stop?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

One thing I agree with is that I'd like to see this site rank WAY higher on search engines when people search Frank Herbert, Dune, and just for good measure: Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. I'm sure there are other important words that we should rank higher for.

I never would have found this place if it wasn't for seeing links in peoples sigs at DN. Unless someone happens to search "Jacurutu" we're pretty close to invisible right now.

Searching Dune Forum on google Jacurutu isn't anywhere in the first ten page, I didn't check any farther. Page two does have this link to Chigger's blog talking about Jacurutu, but that's still on page two and isn't as good as this site being linked.
Hairy Ticks of Dune Blog » Dune ForumsFreakzilla has started a new Dune forum for people interested in discussing the Dune Novels without censorship by those with vested interests (in ...
chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?cat=33 - 29k - Cached - Similar pages
Does anyone know what part of this site is searched by the search engines? We need to cram in all the important words and we should see a pretty big increase in traffic. There's no reason we can't be within the first few links on the first page.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

good idea.

I changed my mind, its not Hyppo

IT'S KEVIN!!!!

Hi Kevin, welcome to Jacurutu.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I think it's Simon.

Whoever you are, if you think Dunenovels is so bad, why do you care if you get banned from there? I think you're here to shit-stir, but time will tell.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Freakzilla wrote: I wouldn't be suprised if this was an attempt to get me or other staff to back such a thing in order to have us shut down.
I agree. It's a pre-emptive strike by either the HLP or the publicist company to say "hey, look how crazy these people are they are talking about illegal activities and threatening the HLP"

It doesn't matter that none of the regular posters here agree with 'Motivated' It's still on our board.

I'm sure if 'Motivated' gets banned and this thread deleted someone on DN will call us on hypocrisy.

So yeah 'Motivated' come clean on your identity (Kevin).
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Seems pretty transparent to me, too.

Honestly, this is a great reason why Orald and a couple of others need to be told that posting threats of violence or illegal activities, no matter how much in jest, is just an insanely stupid thing to do in a public setting.

As for you, "Motivated," either identify or fuck right off.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I don't have anything new to add to the discussion but I do like to express I am not in favour of illegal activities related to the HLP or any of its members. The whole idea about burning the McDune books was made in jest and should stay that way.

Lundse made it clear: "By winning every single discussion on the issue," we have proved our points.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sole Man

on killling the Brian books

Post by Sole Man »

I've been thinking about taking a sharpie and marking through the computer scan, mcthingy bob, type person...

I kill 'em all and let God (Or whatever) sort 'em out.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Not quite up to speed yet? :roll:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:One thing I agree with is that I'd like to see this site rank WAY higher on search engines when people search Frank Herbert, Dune, and just for good measure: Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. I'm sure there are other important words that we should rank higher for.

I never would have found this place if it wasn't for seeing links in peoples sigs at DN. Unless someone happens to search "Jacurutu" we're pretty close to invisible right now.

Searching Dune Forum on google Jacurutu isn't anywhere in the first ten page, I didn't check any farther. Page two does have this link to Chigger's blog talking about Jacurutu, but that's still on page two and isn't as good as this site being linked.
Hairy Ticks of Dune Blog » Dune ForumsFreakzilla has started a new Dune forum for people interested in discussing the Dune Novels without censorship by those with vested interests (in ...
chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?cat=33 - 29k - Cached - Similar pages
Does anyone know what part of this site is searched by the search engines? We need to cram in all the important words and we should see a pretty big increase in traffic. There's no reason we can't be within the first few links on the first page.
If anyone has any suggestion on how to do this I'd like to hear them.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

Ampoliros wrote:

I think its Hypo

No, we would've smelled the ole bag lady a mile away if it was her :?
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

It is Normacle...really.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:If anyone has any suggestion on how to do this I'd like to hear them.
Can you do meta tags/keywords on forums?

Links - email every Dune fansite ever and get on their links pages. I think Google works on pages that have other pages linking to them or something like that.

Word association thread? :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:If anyone has any suggestion on how to do this I'd like to hear them.
Can you do meta tags/keywords on forums?
Yes, but Ragabash would have to edit them into the boardware files and upload them again.

(It's been a while since I played with this one now, but I think there is a header template that would put the META tags into every page rendered.)
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Freakzilla wrote:For the record, I do not approve of anything illegal.
except for a little puff puff pass 8)
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

cant u guys just look at his isp to see who it is?..compare it to others who have posted? ... who has access to all that...Freak i assume
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tyrant wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:For the record, I do not approve of anything illegal.
except for a little puff puff pass 8)
I meant regarding the HLP/KJA.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tyrant wrote:cant u guys just look at his isp to see who it is?..compare it to others who have posted? ... who has access to all that...Freak i assume
I know who it is. If they want to reveal any other identity it's up to them.

Everyone here is free to do and say whatever they want. I just wanted to be on the record that I don't advocate anything illegal or violent.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I don't think it's Hyppo : Too much egocentric to use a sockpuppet...People HAVE to know it's her... :)

I don't care about a popularity contest with DNBBS...or google search result...

Just LOOK at DNBBS right now...since Freak is gone, it has sunk to a level of mediocrity beyond any official site should allow...A new book has come up and there is NO sustained discussion whatsoever about it...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Rakis wrote:A new book has come up and there is NO sustained discussion whatsoever about it...
I was just thinking the same thing.

I mean, a new book just came out Tuesday ... it's the official website of the whole enterprise ... and there's not a single worthwhile discussion to be found. Some "fans" those preeks are, huh?

It's both pathetic and sad. That place isn't even worth the effort to lurk any longer.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Just for the record, the store I work at hasn't sold a single copy yet. We also only received eight copies. Paul of Dune isn't even listed as being on our New in Sci-Fi section. I guess they don't expect it to sell very well. I'll have to check and see if there is even a display option for it. That means wither or not the company I work for or the publisher created display material.

While my store isn't a very high volume one, we are in a downtown location, so most of our sales come from new and popular books.