So you harvest the spice....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Laphtiya

So you harvest the spice....

Post by Laphtiya »

Okay so once you've harvested the spice....what happenes next? Where does it go? Is it processed in some way? I know there is spice coffee and spice beer. But how does it end up in food? Do people eat pure spice to gain the effects of long life? How do you get spice? Lots of questions that I would love to have answers for.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Baraka Bryan wrote:the harvester refined it (separated it from sand) i think.

it's easy to just cook spices into food, same with beer etc.

people took spice pure iirc.

as for how it was turned into fabric and other tactile stuff, i'm not sure. must have had processing of some sort
I realise they would have to do some sort of seperation. I assumed that was the cloud that the Harvester produced during harvesting the spice. I was just curious to know how some one would get their hands on it. Just trying to get some perspective on it. Do the great houses buy as much spice as they can afford and then sell it internally to wealthy famalies and house holds within their territory?

So foodwise the spice is just simply mixed in the foodstuffs. And it is used to treat fabrics to give them what? colouring, texture and makes them last longer?
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

basically you take a teaspoon amount .... make sure its not separated..you dont want too potent of a dose...then you put it on a mirror and chop it up in little pieces with a razor blade (much like a grain of sugar) ...then you use the razor blade to shape it in a straight long skinny line .... then you take a drinking straw ....cut about 1/3 of it off...take the 1/3 piece and put it up one of your nostrils...then you take the other end..put it over the spice ...and inhale very strongly thru the nostril with the straw...while doing this simultaniously follow the line of spice from up to down..or down to up (your preference) ..... snort until all spice has been absorbed into your nasal cavity...now its gonna burn...like a bitch especially if you've never done it before...dont worry..it passes...youll get a little drainage goin down your throat too...dont worry about that...its good for you ...any way...sit back...and prepare to see the future and live forever
Last edited by Tyrant on 19 Sep 2008 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

All of this is covered in Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson's upcoming Trilogy: Menial Tasks of Dune, Water Sellers of Dune, and Finally the chilling conclusion in Shut the hell up and buy this "of Dune" of Dune.

rumors still persist that they may be planning a sequel trilogy and possibly a Prequel to this trilogy
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You mean the post-Legends/pre-Houses "Great Schools" trilogy? :roll:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Tyrant wrote:basically you take a teaspoon amount .... make sure its not separated..you dont want too potent of a dose...then you put it on a mirror and chop it up in little pieces with a razor blade (much like a grain of sugar) ...then you use the razor blade to shape it in a straight long skinny line .... then you take a drinking straw ....cut about 1/3 of it off...take the 1/3 piece and put it up one of your nostrils...then you take the other end..put it over the spice ...and inhale very strongly thru the nostril with the straw...while doing this simultaniously follow the line of spice from up to down..or down to up (your preference) ..... snort until all spice has been absorbed into your nasal cavity...now its gonna burn...like a bitch especially if you've never done it before...dont worry..it passes...youll get a little drainage goin down your throat too...dont worry about that...its good for you ...any way...sit back...and prepare to see the future and live forever
Good one, Dude ! Image
TheDukester

Re: So you harvest the spice....

Post by TheDukester »

Laphtiya wrote:Okay so once you've harvested the spice....what happenes next?
Spice Burgers.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Wow I think I got my question answered.....or did I? LOL

Am I right to assume all the Spice goes to CHOAM and the Spacing Guild before the Landsraad get their hands on it. Hafter House Harkonnen have filled their private stockpiles of course.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I imagine Spice production is taxed by the emperor, so he gets his cut off the top, then it goes to CHOAM. Smugglers it seems deal directly with the Guild.

Once CHOAM has it, I imagine you can buy it from your local deale....representative.

With all that the fremen use Spice for it certainly must have a strange consistency. This fits if we factor in what Frank Herbert hinted what Worm by-product the spice might be. [shudder]
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, like you've never tasted your own. :roll:

:shock:

Ahem.

Let's keep some points in mind re that, shall we:

* Was not written in the books; is therefore not canonical.
* Was not really expressed in those terms by FH; he simply agreed in the course of the conversation/interview with something suggested by McNelly.

There is nothing in the original texts to suggest that the spice which is harvested and used by humans is produced by the worms.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'd smoke it in a glass pipe.

Spice that is, not semen.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote: There is nothing in the original texts to suggest that the spice which is harvested and used by humans is produced by the worms.
However, we do know that without the worms there is no spice.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Serkanner wrote:
SandChigger wrote: There is nothing in the original texts to suggest that the spice which is harvested and used by humans is produced by the worms.
However, we do know that without the worms there is no spice.
Didn't we decide at some point that the sandtrout likely had some method of reproducing which didn't involve sandworms, thus making the sandworms actually not essential to the spice? I thought that was the explanation for how the sandtrout could multiply and spread before the planet became suitable for the worms. Then again, I guess that there could be worms from the get-go after the first spice blows, but they are so small and don’t last long at all (humidity kills them rather quickly) disintegrating back into sandtrout almost immediately after emerging. Hmm. Not sure if that quite works with the whole conservation of mass business... I don't think that FH really had this 100% figured out.

What's the verdict on this?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...there would be mini-worms SIX YEARS after the first spice blows.

Although "mini" probably isn't the right word for something as big as they are:
The few survivors entered a semidormant cyst-hibernation to emerge in six years as small (about three meters long) sandworms.
You can't have spice without sandtrout.

You can't have worms without sandtrout.

You can't have sandtrout without a license. :P
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Um...there would be mini-worms SIX YEARS after the first spice blows.

Although "mini" probably isn't the right word for something as big as they are:
The few survivors entered a semidormant cyst-hibernation to emerge in six years as small (about three meters long) sandworms.
You can't have spice without sandtrout.

You can't have worms without sandtrout.

You can't have sandtrout without a license. :P
That's what I was saying, but we do hear in HoD and ChD that it takes quite a bit of time (though FH seemed to be fairly inconsistant as to how long) for the sandtrout to turn a sufficient area into a habitat for worms. Both books mention that the worms don't show up until conditions are right.

I'm thinking that (in accordance with what I said earlier) you're right, the small worms actually appear much sooner but people never get to see them because they die quickly from over exposure to moisture.

What I'm trying to remember/find out is whether we decided that the sandtrout can likely reproduce on their own (before a prespice mass hits critical) or if it makes more sense that all sandtrout originate from dead worms.
Sole Man

on the worms

Post by Sole Man »

Worms don't die, they go to magic fairy land!

I always figured the spice was worked into fabrics, apaer, ect. they those things are normally made. But, with the spice as an extra (Only?) ingredint.

I figured the royal houses had it in salt shakers and sa;lted it into thier food.

I figurered Spice Beer goes to your head real fast.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I always imagined Spice beer like whisky ( or something with a strong taste) with a bit of malt and cinnamon...hmmmm...

(Goes to the liquor cabinet)

:wink:
A Thing of Eternity

I'm going to make my self spice coffee right now!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Read this bit a couple of days ago and thought of this thread...
Leto discussing propaganda with Paul in Dune wrote:"Did you know we're using spice residue as raw material and already have our own factory to manufacture filmbase?"
Something like cellulose separated out during the refining process maybe?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That or, heck, some kind of plastic even. ;)

One thing to always keep in mind is that these are ALIEN life forms with very different biochemistry. The spice is the only element in the entire great interconnected cycle of life from sand plankton to sandworms that is remotely edible.

Spice residue...what's left after refining?

Do we have list of products made from spice around here somewhere?
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Spice residue...what's left after refining?
Concentrated resin... :P
jakoye

Re:

Post by jakoye »

Ampoliros wrote: With all that the fremen use Spice for it certainly must have a strange consistency. This fits if we factor in what Frank Herbert hinted what Worm by-product the spice might be. [shudder]
Really? I didn't get that impression at all. I got the impression that the spice was created by sandtrout encapsulating a volume of water underneath the surface and brewing up the spice in some kind of chemical interaction. At some point, the process causes the "spice bubble" (for lack of a better term) to rise upwards through the earth and explode onto the surface, producing a spice patch and a bunch of dead sandtrout. Of course, nobody from the Imperium every talks about finding dead sandtrout in a spice blow, so maybe my imaginings are dead wrong.

One question I did have, which no one seems to be able to answer is: what do the worms eat? Yes, the occasional 'thopter and thumper and unwary (read: non-Fremen) desert traveler, but besides that, how in the world do they maintain that gigormous body mass? There's no other animal for them to prey on (we won't count the hopping mouse that they may occasionally dine on), so where do they get their energy from?
jakoye

Re: So you harvest the spice....

Post by jakoye »

Ah, never mind. Reading other posts on here, the answer seems to be the mysterious "sand plankton". Ok.

Not sure if I buy that they're the precursors to worms though... that seems biologically unsound.
tenfingersofdoom

Re: Re:

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

jakoye wrote:
Ampoliros wrote: With all that the fremen use Spice for it certainly must have a strange consistency. This fits if we factor in what Frank Herbert hinted what Worm by-product the spice might be. [shudder]
Really? I didn't get that impression at all. I got the impression that the spice was created by sandtrout encapsulating a volume of water underneath the surface and brewing up the spice in some kind of chemical interaction. At some point, the process causes the "spice bubble" (for lack of a better term) to rise upwards through the earth and explode onto the surface, producing a spice patch and a bunch of dead sandtrout. Of course, nobody from the Imperium every talks about finding dead sandtrout in a spice blow, so maybe my imaginings are dead wrong.

One question I did have, which no one seems to be able to answer is: what do the worms eat? Yes, the occasional 'thopter and thumper and unwary (read: non-Fremen) desert traveler, but besides that, how in the world do they maintain that gigormous body mass? There's no other animal for them to prey on (we won't count the hopping mouse that they may occasionally dine on), so where do they get their energy from?
Worms eat sand or soil, it goes into their chemical furnace of a stomach and they excrete superheated oxygen out of their tail end(there is a quote somewhere). maybe thats how they transform ecosystems into desert alongside sandtrout, consuming the soil and blasting out oxygen through their anus with sand as another by product. I hope they pass harvesters out of their systems as tiny compacted pieces of sand. Aside from the fact they fart air instead of silicone-dioxide maybe they're silicon based lifeforms since they react negatively with water, even though they would need a sulfur rich environment to live comfortably.
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.