Leto of Dune: Destined to fail

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Drunken Idaho

Leto of Dune: Destined to fail

Post by Drunken Idaho »

So I was dwelling on the Dune cash cow, and how the HLP is milking it, riding it, and even tipping it, and I realized something pretty encouraging.

Leto of Dune will prove BH and KJA's worth. In case anyone wasn't already convinced, this book will help drive home the point that they should not be writing Dune.

Why? Because who else can write the character of Leto II, besides Frank himself? The delicate thought processes and the random musings, those were all Frank Herbert at his best. It can't be reproduced, especially by these two.

I don't know about you guys, but God Emperor of Dune is easily my favourite Dune book, and it's the feat of writing such an amazing character that made it so.

BH & KJA already failed once with a supremely disappointing Leto II ghola in Sadworms of Dune, so I don't know what makes them think they can pull it off again.
Last edited by Drunken Idaho on 16 Sep 2008 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Despite the fact that Serena and Normacle showing up in PoD turned out to be a hoax (I still say damn you Chig! :lol: ) I feel pretty confident that one of them (more likely Normacle) will show up and guide Leto in LoD. That should add nicely to the crashing and burning which will take up the rest of the pages.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I completely agree. In GEoD, you really felt that Leto had lived for 3500 years. Just the weight of experience and the burden of responsibility - as well as the presence of the Worm - really came through in the writing.

I like GEoD a lot. I think of the first four books as one epic story arc, culminating in Leto's victory for humanity - and his death. Heretics and CHapter House were a fine continuation, but I think of them as the beginning of a new story arc, really.

How KJA and BH handle Leto just doesn't bear thinking about. Sadly, at this point, I fear that the only people reading the books are those that won't see the lack - or won't care about it.

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Leto of Dune will be a sacrilege. There is no escape, it is inevitable.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Baraka Bryan wrote:... worm on maiden sex scenes.
Oh God. Is there a way to delete that idea from all existence? Please?

HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Seriously ... I want to scrub my mind now. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

"The immense and phallic Sandworm then proceeded to tease her until the liquid came out, like an aroused sandtrout..."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

AAARRRGGHH!!! My eyes!!! My eyes!!!

HBJ
Sole Man

On Leto of Dune

Post by Sole Man »

Baraka Bryan wrote: ...worm on maiden sex scenes.
Does that actually happen in GEoD, or is that one of you people's sick fantsies?

Well, I think since we don't have confirmation its going to be about Lwto II (Or do we?) you can't actually say that. It probably will be, but unless I'm wrong, it could be about Duke Leto, Paul's father, and his experinces growing up and raising Paul and a bunch oof other crap.
Drunken Idaho

Re: On Leto of Dune

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Sole Man wrote:
Does that actually happen in GEoD, or is that one of you people's sick fantsies?

Well, I think since we don't have confirmation its going to be about Lwto II (Or do we?) you can't actually say that. It probably will be, but unless I'm wrong, it could be about Duke Leto, Paul's father, and his experinces growing up and raising Paul and a bunch oof other crap.
Yeah, but when was Duke Leto ever "of Dune" besides what we see in the first book?

And read God Emperor, damn it! I promise there are no sex scenes of that nature (Leto II wishes)...
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sole Man wrote:

Oh I'm pretty sure they've repeatedly stated that LoD is all about filling in the 3500 year gap between CoD and GEoD. They've said that it's the most often "requested" book that people ask them to write. :vomit:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm pretty sure the most requested book for them to publish is

Apology To Dune
We Fucked Up Dune
KJA is a Hacktard (who wishes he was 'of Dune')

After that probably The Notes.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Ampoliros wrote:I'm pretty sure the most requested book for them to publish is

Apology To Dune
We Fucked Up Dune
KJA is a Hacktard (who wishes he was 'of Dune')

After that probably The Notes.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:"The immense and phallic Sandworm then proceeded to tease her until the liquid came out, like an aroused sandtrout..."
:shock:

And now I know what my next segment of "Leto of Dune" will be about.

**shudders**
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
cmsahe

Re: Leto of Dune: Destined to fail

Post by cmsahe »

Drunken Idaho wrote:S...

I don't know about you guys, but God Emperor of Dune is easily my favourite Dune book, and it's the feat of writing such an amazing character that made it so.

BH & KJA already failed once with a supremely disappointing Leto II ghola in Sadworms of Dune, so I don't know what makes them think they can pull it off again.
Ditto for me Leto II is my favorite character (that's why I shoot my childish youtube videos with my custom Leto II toy) and GEoD it's my favorite book of the saga.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Sole Man wrote:
Does that actually hap....

Oh I'm pretty sure they've repeatedly stated that LoD is all about filling in the 3500 year gap between CoD and GEoD. They've said that it's the most often "requested" book that people ask them to write. :vomit:
"Hi Brian! Hi KJA, I'd love to read a trilogy on each and everyone of the Duncan Idaho Gholas there is so much to read about and a huge gap to fill in."
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

cmsahe wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Sole Man wrote:
Does that actually hap....

Oh I'm pretty sure they've repeatedly stated that LoD is all about filling in the 3500 year gap between CoD and GEoD. They've said that it's the most often "requested" book that people ask them to write. :vomit :
"Hi Brian! Hi KJA, I'd love to read a trilogy on each and everyone of the Duncan Idaho Gholas there is so much to read about and a huge gap to fill in."
You shouldn't give them ideas! shhhhh

Give them a cookie :cookie sm:

Nice BH...now sit, yes sit!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

trang

Post by trang »

I believe everyones points for the book to fail are astute. The simple point I think it will fail on is the title itself.

they cant call it Leto of Dune, because thats pauls father.
they cant call it Leto II of Dune, because that sounds stupid.
(Pronounced: Leto 'two of dune, or Leto "the second of Dune)

They cant call it Worm of dune, well cause they already got one with worm in the title, sandworms. The witless masses of prequel/sequel land will be confused.

They cant call it God Emperor, well because, well FH used that one!!

So I just dont see a working title, this alone is to complex for them, nevermind your points on the immense care that would be needed to write anything about the GodEmperor outside FH's guidence.

Its a long way off (by Bh/KJA reckoning, 1 hero every two years, would be jessica in 2010ish, Irulan in 2012ish, and leto in 2014ish) so it will be a long time disscussion.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Almost-pre-worm quasi-God-not-as-Normacle of Dune.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

cmsahe wrote:"Hi Brian! Hi KJA, I'd love to read a trilogy on each and everyone of the Duncan Idaho Gholas there is so much to read about and a huge gap to fill in."
The horror! The horror!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I believe there are numerous epigraphs attributed to various books by Duncan. Wasn't one of them entitled A Thousand Lives? I, Duncan of Dune would work just as well. :roll:

In "Dune 7-plus" they played around with ghola babbies. In the House books and now these Heroes things, they're fucking with the original characters. And it's just not going to work.

Where in the beginning of Dune is the Paul who just a few years earlier went through any number of harrowing events (slice'em-dice'em flying saws at the wedding of his father to some Ecazi bint [the bride-to-be gets her throat sliced open]; being lost in the Caladan jungles with Duncan during a Grumman assassin attack, etc etc etc)? And who is this Emperor Paul-Muad'Dib emoting all over the stage in those sections of the book? Ghastly.

If they can fuck up this badly with these characters and no one stop them, no one is going to bat an eyelid when they go gunning for Leto II.

Nothing is going to stop these rapists.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

(slice'em-dice'em flying saws at the wedding of his father to some Ecazi bint

so much for Duke Leto remaining single so as to give each of the Houses hope fo alliance, and so that he would never betray his Jessica eh?
I am a mortal god.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, after the partially successful assassination attempt, he vows he will never consider another political marriage.

But of course Jessica says no, no, no! :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Re: Leto of Dune: Destined to fail

Post by Drunken Idaho »

cmsahe wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:S...

Ditto for me Leto II is my favorite character (that's why I shoot my childish youtube videos with my custom Leto II toy) and GEoD it's my favorite book of the saga.
That sounds cool as hell... I demand a link.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

SandChigger wrote:Well, after the partially successful assassination attempt, he vows he will never consider another political marriage.

But of course Jessica says no, no, no! :roll:
*has had enough and goes to fetch weaponry* right, this really is taking things to ridiculous levels, so far beyond credulity it's untrue. do we have adresses for these complete and untter philistines, because i think now is the time to go a' huntin' :twisted:
I am a mortal god.