Us VS Them

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Us VS Them

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Now, how do we compare to Sietch Tabr?
Do we really need to bother?
It's for Science.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Now, how do we compare to Sietch Tabr?
Do we really need to bother?
It's for Science.
That line never works for me when I try it. :(
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nekhrun wrote:
Now, how do we compare to Sietch Tabr?
They don't even deserve a comparison.
TheDukester wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:The last 4 months:

Jacurutu total posts = 9795 (up 4% per month)
Jacurutu total posts per day = 81.63 (UP 3.4, we beat that slump we had last period)
DN total posts = 871 (DOWN 31% per month)
DN total posts per day = 7.26 (down 3.3, they're happily continuing their decline)
Wow. Just ... wow.

Every time we get these survey results, something really jumps out at me. This time it's the four-month figures. They had 871 posts in FOUR months? :shock:

Pa-thet-ic.
I know, it really makes me feel good, especially when our numbers are up - last period was a really tough one for us, really tough, and now we have what I think is one of the best 4 month periods to date.

FREAK - go look at the edit I made to my last post after you made your post. You'll like it.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I know, it really makes me feel good, especially when our numbers are up - last period was a really tough one for us, really tough, and now we have what I think is one of the best 4 month periods to date.
Yeah, things have really been buzzing here the last few months.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Jacurutu's looking shinier than ever!

Nice work Thing: :clap:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

[Yeah, it's a re-post. Hell with it, though]
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote:
You should email that to Byron, along with the stats I just posted.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Bah, all [our] members are Sandchigger's sockpuppets. The man's a machine! :lol:
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Bah, all [our] members are Sandchigger's sockpuppets. The man's a machine! :lol:
Therefore... all our posts are spam... :think: ... :lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

This thread is my last remaining angry Dune activity. I really resent that place having turned out to be what it was. I miss being able to argue with people defending the originals, and Byron killed that, not by banning me, but by censoring all such discussions. Do you remember some of the threads we had there? I had epic, essay-like posts absolutely destroying people's arguments, even hard-core prequel defenders didn't want to argue any more. Even when Byron was banning people left and right there was at least some discussion happening, but eventually he just killed it all.

I miss it, I really do. The FTL thread was probably my greatest work over there, I'm glad it is preserved in the OH archives.

I love this place, but it really is just OH - which is fine. But someone would need to be a total idiot (RedBugPest) or very very ballsy to argue with us here.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:This thread is my last remaining angry Dune activity. I really resent that place having turned out to be what it was. I miss being able to argue with people defending the originals, and Byron killed that, not by banning me, but by censoring all such discussions. Do you remember some of the threads we had there? I had epic, essay-like posts absolutely destroying people's arguments, even hard-core prequel defenders didn't want to argue any more. Even when Byron was banning people left and right there was at least some discussion happening, but eventually he just killed it all.

I miss it, I really do. The FTL thread was probably my greatest work over there, I'm glad it is preserved in the OH archives.
Yes, there were some good discussions there.
I love this place, but it really is just OH - which is fine. But someone would need to be a total idiot (RedBugPest) or very very ballsy to argue with us here.
There's a fine line between foolishness and bravery. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

We should start comparing their down time in comparison with ours.
This isn't supposed to happen.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:We should start comparing their down time in comparison with ours.
This isn't supposed to happen.
We have down time?
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

What do you mean?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:What do you mean?
This site almost never goes down and if it does it's back up quickly.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Oh, I see - I didn't know what was meant by down time.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh, I see - I didn't know what was meant by down time.
The term downtime is used to refer to periods when a system is unavailable. Downtime or outage duration refers to a period of time that a system fails to provide or perform its primary function. Reliability, Availability, Recovery, and Unavailability are related concepts. The expected Unavailability is the percentage of a timespan that a system is unavailable or offline. This is usually a result of the system failing to function because of an unplanned event, or because of routine maintenance.
The term is commonly applied to networks and servers. The common reasons for unplanned outages are system failures (such as a crash) or communications failures (commonly known as network outage).
The term is also commonly applied in industrial environments in relation to failures in industrial production equipment. Some facilities measure the downtime incurred during a work shift, or during a 12 or 24-hour period. Another common practice is to identify each downtime event as having an operational, electrical or mechanical origin.
The opposite of downtime is uptime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtime" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't even balance my checkbook on downtime. I have an abacus at home for that.
~Tron (1982)
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Bah, all [our] members are Sandchigger's sockpuppets. The man's a machine! :lol:
Therefore... all our posts are spam... :think: ... :lol:
Bite me, Skull Head! :twisted:

:lol:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I miss being able to argue with people defending the originals
:shock:

Why would you argue with people who are defending the originals? :cry:

;) :P

(Ya wanna punch me in the nose right now, dontcha? :lol: )
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I miss being able to argue with people defending the originals
:shock:

Why would you argue with people who are defending the originals? :cry:

;) :P

(Ya wanna punch me in the nose right now, dontcha? :lol: )
Damnit! What a typo. :doh:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
Exactly. The Cast Out know how to keep it up. DN likes their webmasters like they like they like their writers. It's just another big difference in the comparison of US vs. THEM.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:This thread is my last remaining angry Dune activity. I really resent that place having turned out to be what it was. I miss being able to argue with people defending the originals, and Byron killed that, not by banning me, but by censoring all such discussions. Do you remember some of the threads we had there? I had epic, essay-like posts absolutely destroying people's arguments, even hard-core prequel defenders didn't want to argue any more. Even when Byron was banning people left and right there was at least some discussion happening, but eventually he just killed it all.

I'm pretty sure that thread is archived over at T(A)U, Thing. In the "Archives" thread at the bottom of the main page.

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Exactly. The Cast Out know how to keep it up. DN likes their webmasters like they like they like their writers. It's just another big difference in the comparison of US vs. THEM.
The Tidwell is ubiquitous. Internet boards and connectivity are but an afterthought for the hackmeister general. FORGET IT NOT!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: I love this place, but it really is just OH - which is fine. But someone would need to be a total idiot (RedBugPest) or very very ballsy to argue with us here.
I agree. I was being a total idiot to think that there would be any possibility of getting you to accept that someone can really enjoy both the original series and the new books, and to argue here where there is a lack of tolerance or respect for any non OH sanctioned viewpoints. Of course that is your prerogative... :D

The problem lies in our basic foundations of how we choose to view the Dune Universe, and that will not change for either of us. Therefore, any further arguments concerning the original vs the new are pointless.

RBP

Post by Hunchback Jack »

redbugpest wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: I love this place, but it really is just OH - which is fine. But someone would need to be a total idiot (RedBugPest) or very very ballsy to argue with us here.
I agree. I was being a total idiot to think that there would be any possibility of getting you to accept that someone can really enjoy both the original series and the new books, and to argue here where there is a lack of tolerance or respect for any non OH sanctioned viewpoints. Of course that is your prerogative... :D
It's not so much that there are "OH-sanctioned viewpoints", but that people here tend to have the same opinions. This is Jacurutu; the people here are "cast out" for a reason - they expressed dissatisfaction about the new books on DN, and were banned.

If a poster here expresses an opinion that the new books are great SF, and worthy successors of the original series, they're not going to get a lot of support; consider the audience. They should expect that Jacurutu members engaging them in discussion will try to convince them that the new books are crap, giving long and impassioned reasons.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks