• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

    Image
      Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

    Postby cmsahe » 04 Sep 2008 22:26

    If so, what's your opinion about their representation in the Dune novels? They are an important part in the mithology of the saga, I can draw conmparisons:
    Fencing is represented by Duncan Idaho and the krysnive duels of the Fremen.

    And the Prana Bindu that seems to synthesize several martial arts.

    And Has Dune motivated to study Martial Arts?

    Best Regards,
    Carlos
    Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.


    Who We Are and What We Stand For
    http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
    ----
    Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
    User avatar
    cmsahe
     
    Posts: 598
    Joined: 26 Aug 2008 22:40
    Location: Mexico City

    Postby Illogical Banana » 05 Sep 2008 00:04

    I love martial arts, I studied Jujutsu here for about 6 months. But most of the places are just McDojos so I've resigned myself to independent study. You bring up some interesting things to think about :D
    “But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
    Illogical Banana
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: 24 Feb 2008 11:49

    Postby Mr. Teg » 05 Sep 2008 09:37

    Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

    (Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    User avatar
    Mr. Teg
    Moderator
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
    Location: Chair

    Postby Tleszer » 05 Sep 2008 09:49

    I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger but stopped by the time I started college.

    What I like about Dune is that for all of the sci-fi elements (navigators, lasguns, shields) it was equally about the past (shield-fighting, prana bindu, feudal houses).

    Its a shame this world can't be accurately reproduced on film.
    DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
    User avatar
    Tleszer
     
    Posts: 2161
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

    Postby Freakzilla » 05 Sep 2008 09:53

    Mr. Teg wrote:Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

    (Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )


    What's vitamin I?
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Mr. Teg » 05 Sep 2008 19:54

    Freakzilla wrote:
    Mr. Teg wrote:Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

    (Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )


    What's vitamin I?


    Ibuprofin :wink:
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    User avatar
    Mr. Teg
    Moderator
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
    Location: Chair

    Postby Laphtiya » 06 Sep 2008 04:57

    I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art
    User avatar
    Laphtiya
     
    Posts: 215
    Joined: 29 Aug 2008 11:57
    Location: In an outpost, on the edge of space!

    Postby Mr. Teg » 06 Sep 2008 05:38

    Laphtiya wrote:I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art


    I had the opportunity awhile back to train in kendo with the local police inside their station dojo for a couple of months. Good training, very intense stuff! (If you need inexpensive gear there's a company in L.A. that sells the whole set for arond $400 if I remember correctly, even people in Japan order from them).
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    User avatar
    Mr. Teg
    Moderator
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
    Location: Chair

    Re: Do anyone of you practices Martial Arts?

    Postby Nekhrun » 06 Sep 2008 08:45

    cmsahe wrote:If so, what's your opinion about their representation in the Dune novels? They are an important part in the mithology of the saga, I can draw conmparisons:
    Fencing is represented by Duncan Idaho and the krysnive duels of the Fremen.

    And the Prana Bindu that seems to synthesize several martial arts.

    And Has Dune motivated to study Martial Arts?

    Best Regards,
    Carlos

    I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Sep 2008 18:19

    Mr. Teg wrote:
    Laphtiya wrote:I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art


    I had the opportunity awhile back to train in kendo with the local police inside their station dojo for a couple of months. Good training, very intense stuff! (If you need inexpensive gear there's a company in L.A. that sells the whole set for arond $400 if I remember correctly, even people in Japan order from them).


    The police in Japan must be scary as hell. If I'm not mistaken the laws are pretty strict concerning violence and other serious crimes are they not?

    Nekhrun wrote:I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.


    T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby SandChigger » 06 Sep 2008 19:19

    Coma patients?

    :cry:

    There went my post in this thread....


    (Feah notto za porisu ob Japan, Mistah Sang. Rike eburi-wan erusu, zey smellu rike—yessu, you guest it—FEESHu! :lol: )
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 06 Sep 2008 21:23

    SandChigger wrote:Coma patients?

    :cry:

    There went my post in this thread....


    (Feah notto za porisu ob Japan, Mistah Sang. Rike eburi-wan erusu, zey smellu rike—yessu, you guest it—FEESHu! :lol: )


    Good good, I'll mention that to my black panther buddies! :wink:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby Mr. Teg » 06 Sep 2008 21:42

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Mr. Teg wrote:
    Laphtiya wrote:I follow Kendo and Iaido. Just convinced my brother to john, I wouldnt say Dune was the reason that I joined these. But I can understand why Dune could make people want to join a Martial Art


    I had the opportunity awhile back to train in kendo with the local police inside their station dojo for a couple of months. Good training, very intense stuff! (If you need inexpensive gear there's a company in L.A. that sells the whole set for arond $400 if I remember correctly, even people in Japan order from them).


    The police in Japan must be scary as hell. If I'm not mistaken the laws are pretty strict concerning violence and other serious crimes are they not?

    Nekhrun wrote:I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.


    T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)


    Outside the dojo they're more like keystone cops (of course not the guys I trained with :wink: ).

    Taichi is a fighting art if you find the right teacher.
    However, with that said, I know a couple of gentlemen who are very good at jujutsu because they train in taichi on the side (taichi helps improve their movement).
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    User avatar
    Mr. Teg
    Moderator
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
    Location: Chair

    Postby trang » 07 Sep 2008 01:51

    Judo when in the Marine Corps, not much of anything since I got out in 1996.

    As for Dune influence not specifically, but added to my general interest in War, Military, and such, it definatly fits in. Prana Bindu seems like the pinacle of the combined martial arts. Ultimate control of mind and body, so I can see how it would attract anyone.

    Trang
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby Freakzilla » 07 Sep 2008 05:05

    Mr. Teg wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:
    Mr. Teg wrote:Unique the way Frank integrated fighting arts into Dune considering the time.

    (Yes, started in high school and still train with the help of a little vitamin I in the morning :wink: )


    What's vitamin I?


    Ibuprofin :wink:


    Oh, :lol: That's been a regular supliment for me for a long time now too.

    When I was a kid, we called LSD vitamin A (Acid).
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Freakzilla » 07 Sep 2008 05:08

    I've taken lessons in Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido and the Judo-type style they teach in the army but I've never gone beyond the basics.

    One of these days I'd like to study knife fighting.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18074
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Laphtiya » 07 Sep 2008 05:09

    There is also a nice site www.ninecircles.co.uk which is good for Kendo, Iaido, Aikido and other Japenese arts. If Dune has influenced me in anyway, it might be down to the need to defend myself. Especially when you can easily make the link between Spice and Oil :wink: Once the Oil is gone I'd rather be prepared to fight and not need to than the other way around lol!
    User avatar
    Laphtiya
     
    Posts: 215
    Joined: 29 Aug 2008 11:57
    Location: In an outpost, on the edge of space!

    Postby chanilover » 07 Sep 2008 05:17

    I did Karate for a few years but stopped. It's great exercise.
    "You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Postby Nekhrun » 07 Sep 2008 11:22

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Nekhrun wrote:I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.


    T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)

    It most certainly is. Each movement of the form can be delivered as a strike or redirection.
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 07 Sep 2008 21:07

    Nekhrun wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    Nekhrun wrote:I practice T'ai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. Dune has neither reminded me of them nor inspired further study of Martial arts, though I'm sure the Sisterhood's style follows a similar philosophy to that of Bruce Lee, and they look better in black unitards.


    T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)

    It most certainly is. Each movement of the form can be delivered as a strike or redirection.


    :lol:
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby orald » 08 Sep 2008 03:18

    All this talk of martial arts remind me of the scene in Indianna Jones and the lost cabinat thingy, where some arab dude spins his swords all fancy like that...so Indy shoots him down with one bullet. Get my meaning? :wink:

    Also, look at Taraze- cut down with a simple lasgun beam...or Nayla for that matter.
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby Mr. Teg » 08 Sep 2008 06:35

    orald wrote:All this talk of martial arts remind me of the scene in Indianna Jones and the lost cabinat thingy, where some arab dude spins his swords all fancy like that...so Indy shoots him down with one bullet. Get my meaning? :wink:


    Wingate Institute of Physical Education, Israel? Get my meaning? :wink:
    CHOAM
    Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
    Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP
    User avatar
    Mr. Teg
    Moderator
     
    Posts: 699
    Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
    Location: Chair

    Postby orald » 08 Sep 2008 09:06

    What meaning? I was there exactly once, to deliever some oils or somesuch.
    We didn't get any help offloading that shit from the truck from any of the supposedly fit guys there, so they can go bugger themselves for all I care.

    But seriously, what meaning? Sure, that Indy bit was a joke, I can perfectly understand, and wouldn't mind trying in the future, the interest in martial arts, but there's only so much it can help.
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    re:

    Postby cmsahe » 09 Sep 2008 00:07

    And also, my question is influenced by the Children of Dune miniseries, where Martial Arts are blatantly represented, I love the way in which Leto II kicks Alia's guards using Taekwondo chagguis (kicks) :)


    Tleszer wrote:I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger but stopped by the time I started college.

    What I like about Dune is that for all of the sci-fi elements (navigators, lasguns, shields) it was equally about the past (shield-fighting, prana bindu, feudal houses).

    Its a shame this world can't be accurately reproduced on film.
    Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.


    Who We Are and What We Stand For
    http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
    ----
    Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
    User avatar
    cmsahe
     
    Posts: 598
    Joined: 26 Aug 2008 22:40
    Location: Mexico City

    re:

    Postby cmsahe » 09 Sep 2008 00:12

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:
    T'ai Chi is only a martial art if you're planning on fighting coma patients. :wink: (I actually love it, but it sure as hell ain't a fighting technique)


    I disagree watch this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X254e0JZuuU
    Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.


    Who We Are and What We Stand For
    http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
    ----
    Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
    User avatar
    cmsahe
     
    Posts: 598
    Joined: 26 Aug 2008 22:40
    Location: Mexico City

    Next

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest