Dune Universe article on Wikipedia updated.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lisan Al-Gaib

Dune Universe article on Wikipedia updated.

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I made some alteration in the Dune Universe article on Wikipedia to gather more informartions about it.
I would like to know if you people like it:

I insert the "two and a half pages" citation from Scott Brick interview of BH and KJA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_unive ... _Dune_7.29

And I put the Jacurutu forum in external link, to make the digger's search more enjoyable :D :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_unive ... rnal_links

Well, opinions?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SimonH

Post by SimonH »

I can't see either - am I missing them? or has someone deleted your changes?

:shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

TAnthony got 'em.

Actually, I should have posted about this earlier:

Material from fan sites and posts to BBSs in particular are NOT acceptable citation sources for Wikipedia.

(Just FYI: TAnthony is a good guy. We disagree on some things occasionally but he's been doing a really good job of policing the Dune-related pages for well over a year now.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Why does that Tanthony guy leave the link up for Dunenovels? Shouldn't that should be removed as well?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Official site of the reigning copyright holders/"authors".

I personally object to the unquestioning reposting there of their claims about the notes and outline, but it doesn't seem to wash and it's really not worth the fight.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Yep, was deleted. I didnt know it was forbidden to reference fan foruns. My bad.
I wanted to post the "two and half page" because is true. Its related to a Interview that was transcripted here. The person how reads the article have the right to know what is the size of the "so important" outline.

Who is TAnthony? Is he some kind of guardian of Dune articles on Wikipedia?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Yep, was deleted. I didnt know it was forbidden to reference fan foruns. My bad.
I wanted to post the "two and half page" because is true. Its related to a Interview that was transcripted here. The person how reads the article have the right to know what is the size of the "so important" outline.

Who is TAnthony? Is he some kind of guardian of Dune articles on Wikipedia?
Yeah. He deleted my first few uneducated posts too. He’s fine, just a bit stubborn about certain things.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My biggest problem with how things are done at present is the uncritical acceptance of anything the Hacks Twain spew out of their facial anuses.

Lisan: if you reference the original online sources of the interviews where they've said the outline is only a few pages, you might get it in. ;)
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:My biggest problem with how things are done at present is the uncritical acceptance of anything the Hacks Twain spew out of their facial anuses.

Lisan: if you reference the original online sources of the interviews where they've said the outline is only a few pages, you might get it in. ;)
I'd love to get rid of the "based on franks notes" for all the books they haven't expressly claimed in a published interview are based in some way on the notes. I'm going to go through all the sources listed for each of the prequels Wikipedia pages and if the sources don't explicitly state that that particular book was based on the notes I'm getting those statements the fuck off WP. This "you need a source" game can be played both ways.

EDIT TO ADD: after going over all the sources wikipedia has for those statements - one of the interviews does have KJA stating that they used notes they found for parts of the House series... but there is absolutely zero mention of notes being used for the Legends series. Small (and possibly temporary) victory, I'll revise those Legends pages right away. :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, they used some of FH's notes for the House books when they discovered them AFTER they had already "brainstormed" and plotted out the books they wanted to write.

So essentially what you have (giving things the most generous interpretation) is some FH "idea skin" grafted onto a the ghastly flesh and bones of a KJA/BH gholem/Frankenstein monster.

Ghastly.

As someone (maybe TAnthony or probably Konman?) pointed out over there a ways back, if they incorporate material from FH's notes in any capacity, their claim that the books are "based on" something by FH is technically true. :?
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Yes, they used some of FH's notes for the House books when they discovered them AFTER they had already "brainstormed" and plotted out the books they wanted to write.

So essentially what you have (giving things the most generous interpretation) is some FH "idea skin" grafted onto a the ghastly flesh and bones of a KJA/BH gholem/Frankenstein monster.

Ghastly.

As someone (maybe TAnthony or probably Konman?) pointed out over there a ways back, if they incorporate material from FH's notes in any capacity, their claim that the books are "based on" something by FH is technically true. :?
This is true. For now though, anything Legends related is getting that claim removed. :evil:
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_unive ... _Dune_7.29
The outline's size was made explicit on a interview with Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson at the end of Hunters of Dune audiobook. The audiobook review can be seen here: http://www.scifidimensions.com/Aug07/huntersofdune.htm
My last try to include the "two and half pages outline" citation at the Dune Universe article.

-- The Stolen Journals

TheDukester

Re: Dune Universe article on Wikipedia updated.

Post by TheDukester »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Well, opinions?
Wikipedia is a complete farce. How's that?

I'll just defer to The Onion rather than rant any further:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
orald

Post by orald »

:lol:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_unive ... _Dune_7.29
The outline's size was made explicit on a interview with Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson at the end of Hunters of Dune audiobook. The audiobook review can be seen here: http://www.scifidimensions.com/Aug07/huntersofdune.htm
My last try to include the "two and half pages outline" citation at the Dune Universe article.
I saw that, was wondering if it was someone from here.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Dune Universe article on Wikipedia updated.

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:
Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Well, opinions?
Wikipedia is a complete farce. How's that?
Worthy of Byron Merritt in the old days?