CoD Miniseries

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Secher_Nbiw

CoD Miniseries

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

This has been bugging me for ages. In the first part, the DM part, during the birth/rounding up the traitors scene, the whole sequence is played out to a beautiful song. Anyone know what it is and where i can get it from???

Ermm, i look like a prat know, but i got it. eventually.
I am a mortal god.
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

Seems you found it... but at any rate, it's called Inama Nushif, I believe. Fantastic song.
cmsahe

Re: CoD Miniseries

Post by cmsahe »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:This has been bugging me for ages. In the first part, the DM part, during the birth/rounding up the traitors scene, the whole sequence is played out to a beautiful song. Anyone know what it is and where i can get it from???

Ermm, i look like a prat know, but i got it. eventually.
The Children of Dune soundtrack is available on Amazon.com.
Last edited by cmsahe on 25 Mar 2009 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

It's here, along with the lyrics.

http://www.briantyler.com/cd/children_of_dune.html

Anyone else tried to make heads and tails of them? Apparently, it is a hymn to Alia (but does not mention anything about "of the knife"). I am not sure that the things said about Alia are all that... appropriate.
She does rise to the head of the 'church' at about this point in the story, but it is not a happy reign for her or her subjects - at least not in the long run.

Somehow, it feels more like the Ghola's Hymn in the tone of its lyrics:
He is the fool saint,
The golden stranger living forever
On the edge of reason.
The melody and arrangement is absolutely beautiful, though! And fits quite well with the montage (youtube it if you haven't seen it) - the conspiracy being ended and Paul readying himself to be told that Chani is dead...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There's a page about it on WP:
"Inama Nushif" is a track from the soundtrack to the 2003 Sci Fi channel mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. It is sung entirely in the fictional Fremen language by Azam Ali. The lyrics and score were both written by Brian Tyler, who composed the soundtrack for the mini-series. The track can be heard during the "Cleansing of the House" montage, in which Leto II and Ghanima are born and various loose ends are tied up, removing possible threats to House Atreides and Paul Muad'Dib. Brian Tyler pieced the lyrics together from excerpts of Fremen that appear throughout the Dune series of novels. The name of the song translates as "She is Eternal."
Actually, he obviously referred to The Dune Encyclopedia for the bulk of the lyrics, because most of the "Fremen" words don't appear in FH's books. ;)
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandChigger wrote:There's a page about it on WP:
"Inama Nushif" is a track from the soundtrack to the 2003 Sci Fi channel mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. It is sung entirely in the fictional Fremen language by Azam Ali. The lyrics and score were both written by Brian Tyler, who composed the soundtrack for the mini-series. The track can be heard during the "Cleansing of the House" montage, in which Leto II and Ghanima are born and various loose ends are tied up, removing possible threats to House Atreides and Paul Muad'Dib. Brian Tyler pieced the lyrics together from excerpts of Fremen that appear throughout the Dune series of novels. The name of the song translates as "She is Eternal."
Actually, he obviously referred to The Dune Encyclopedia for the bulk of the lyrics, because most of the "Fremen" words don't appear in FH's books. ;)
Haha - this means we have a source for wikipedia that the DE is considered part of the "Dune series of novels"!
Oh great, that reminded me of Zeus... :-(
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, Tyler may be a great composer/musician (I quite like the song myself), but he's evidently shit when it comes to research and obviously doesn't know a goddammed thing about Arabic.

I didn't have my copy of TDE or the pdf on the machine I was using earlier, but this is from pp 237-238 (Berkley trade pbk, 2nd printing 1984), article "Fremen Language":
... The passage is from a speech by Muad'Dib, given in Arrakis Awakening by the Princess Irulan (Arrakis Studies 15, Grumman: United Worlds).

[version in Fremen alphabet omitted ;) ]

Transcription:

innama nishuf al-asir mayyit u hiy ayish. liana zaratha zarati. u gawlha gawli. u tishuf hatt al-hudud alman albaid. aywa libarr adam al-malum tishuf liani.

Translation:

"Though we deem the captive dead, yet does she live. For her seed is my seed and her voice is my voice. And she sees unto the farthest reaches of possibility. Yea, unto the vale of the unknowable does she see because of me."
The article was written by Alan Kaye and John Quijada, and they created this text. [Edit: Correction: They translated an epigraph from Dune into a form of Arabic, most likely Egyptian.] Kaye was a professor of English, comparative literature and linguistics at CSU Fullerton who specialized in Arabic (and who passed away last May); Quijada is a linguist and fairly well known conlanger.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I'll trust the experts over the artist any day. ;)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I got a feedback message through the DE section of HToD this evening. Seems I was too hard on poor Brian Tyler for plagiarizing the lyrics of "Inama Nushif".

I will be blogging a response. ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I got a feedback message through the DE section of HToD this evening. Seems I was too hard on poor Brian Tyler for plagiarizing the lyrics of "Inama Nushif".

I will be blogging a response. ;)
Linky?

that thread has got to be buried pretty deep, I would guess.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, I haven't blogged it yet; next on the list of things to do this morning.

(This was a message that came in from the mail/contact form in the DE section, not a response to a blog post. I'm going to blog my response initially, and then probably work it into one of the "Inama Nushif" pages on the site. But yeah, after I got that bullshit response from Tyler on Myspace I've basically dropped it, since I've essentially exhausted the sources for the story. ;) )

Edit: posted: http://chiggerblog.hairyticksofdune.net/blog/?p=1253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;