Is Dune is a work of science fiction or a work of fantasy?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

To keep it simple (and, frankly, better), you want to do two things:

1. Look for Isaac Asimov to be the only name on the cover;

2. Read the books in order of publication, not in order of their fictional chronology.

You want to start here, in other words:

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Novels ... 736&sr=8-2
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Thanks guys... I have Edge, Earth, and Prelude (in addition to the original trilogy) which it turns out are in fact written by Asimov.

Yeah, like I said, once I'm finished with Dosadi Experiment, I'll have read all four stories of Frank Hebrert's Consentiency universe, which so far has been weird as hell. After that, it's on to Foundation!

No spoilers please! :P
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I just read the Foundation series this summer for the first time, I'd read them in the order suggested by others. He really went and kja'ed himself with some of the other books.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Yeah, like I said, once I'm finished with Dosadi Experiment, I'll have read all four stories of Frank Hebrert's Consentiency universe, which so far has been weird as hell. After that, it's on to Foundation!
Newbie question, but what are the four ConSentiency novels? I'm just reading Whipping Star now, but I was only aware of Dosadi being in the same universe.

HBJ,
injecting some FH content into the thread. Go figure.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Yeah, like I said, once I'm finished with Dosadi Experiment, I'll have read all four stories of Frank Hebrert's Consentiency universe, which so far has been weird as hell. After that, it's on to Foundation!
Newbie question, but what are the four ConSentiency novels? I'm just reading Whipping Star now, but I was only aware of Dosadi being in the same universe.

HBJ,
There are a couple of shorts also set in that universe. A Matter of Traces and The Tactful Saboteur I believe are the titles.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Hunchback Jack wrote:

HBJ,
The first two are short stories. They are "A Matter of Traces" and "The Tactful Saboteur." In the first one, McKie has an EXTREMELY brief cameo as he sabotages a recording device of some kind, but he is not the focus of the story. The second story has a lot of good info about the universe they're in, and is mainly about how Bildoon became director of the BuSab (though McKie is still the main character). After that, it's Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment.

Both of the short stories can be found in "Eye."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks, Thing. Do you know if they've been anthologised anywhere readily available?

Edited to add: Thanks, Drunken.

HBJ