children of dune passage

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

flash9286

children of dune passage

Post by flash9286 »

"This is not the treatment usually accorded a guest and an old friend who has shared your dangers," Idaho said, knowing he'd used this argument before.
Stilgar put down his cup, setting it carefully into its place on the tray
and keeping his attention on it as he spoke. "We Fremen don't feel guilt for the same things that arouse such feelings in others," he said. He raised his attention to Idaho's face.
He must be made to take Ghani and flee this place, Idaho thought. He said: "It was not my intention to raise a storm of guilt."
"I understand that," Stilgar said. "I raise the question to impress upon you our Fremen attitude, because that is what we are dealing with: Fremen. Even Alia thinks Fremen."
"And the Priests?"
Sorry, I'm not well versed in english, could someone explain the party about raising the question, i see no question.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hi. Here, in this passage, it's probably better to think of "question" as just meaning "issue" or "matter".

Idaho is told he can't send messages, and asks Stilgar if that's how someone should treat a guest or old friend. His complaint could be taken as an attempt to make Stilgar feel guilty and relent. Stilgar points out that a Fremen feels no guilt in such a situation; he has given his word to maintain neutrality, he will not break his word. Idaho says he wasn't trying to lay a guilt trip on Stilgar, and Stilgar says he brought up (and emphasized) the issue of guilt to remind Idaho that he is dealing with Fremen.

I hope that helps.

What is your native language, by the way?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
flash9286

Post by flash9286 »

Very good, I assumed the definition was something close to that. Thank you for you're help.