What Do We REALLY Know About Brian Herbert And The HLP?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Post by trang »

Found this while trolling around on google, After I found it I went to seach for earnings or earnings record and a link came up for the Almost Undeleted Site. It was under a thread called "HLP Business" I hope this isnt duplicate info. I didnt find any earnings records.

I found it interesting to put names to the HLP and my jaw dropped at the description of things they own the rights to! party hats and temp tatoo's for GodEmperor's sake!! greedy folks!!

Here is the links and info:

Google Query "who are the Herbert Limited Partnership"

http://www.findownersearch.com/owner/2495251/

http://www.findownersearch.com/brand/4003044/

HERBERT LIMITED PARTNERSHIP BRIAN HERBERT,
PENNY MERRITT, THERESA SHACKELFORD, JULIE HERBERT,
KIMBERLY HERBERT, MARGAUX HERBERT, DAVID MERRITT,
BYRON MERRITT, ROBERT MERRITT - ALL U.S. CITIZENS

c/o Frankfurt Garbus Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC
488 Madison Avenue New York NEW YORK 10022

SERIES OF FICTION BOOKS, COMIC BOOKS BASED UPON SERIES OF
FICTION BOOKS, TRADING CARDS, TRADING CARD ALBUMS,
SERIES OF BOOKS RELATING TO COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS
AND/OR FICTIONAL NARRATIVES, ANIMATION CELS, BOOKMARKS,
GRAPHIC NOVELS, MAGAZINES RELATING TO BOOK CHARACTERS,
POSTERS, CALENDARS, MAPS, GREETING CARDS, POSTCARDS,
RUBBER INK STAMPS, PLAYING CARDS, PAPER PENNANTS,
STICKER ALBUMS, STICKERS, DECALS, BUMPER STICKERS,
COLORING POSTERS, COLORING BOOKS, CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY BOOKS,
SKETCH PADS, STATIONERY, NOTEBOOKS, BOND PAPER,
ARTS AND CRAFTS PAPER, PENCILS, PENS,
UNGRADUATED SCHOOL RULERS, CHECK BOOK COVERS,
ADDRESS BOOKS, SCRAPBOOKS, COMPOSITION BOOKS,
INSTRUCTION MANUALS AND GUIDEBOOKS RELATING TO BOOK CHARACTERS,
PAPER BOOK COVERS, ART PRINTS, PAPER MERCHANDISE BAGS,
PAPER GIFT BAGS, WRAPPING PAPER, PAPER PARTY DECORATIONS,
PAPER PARTY HATS, PAPER PARTY BAGS, PAPER LUNCH BAGS,
AND PLASTIC DECALS FOR USE AS TEMPORARY TATTOOS
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

trang wrote:CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY BOOKS
Ah, the new books! :D

Trang, what was the date on that record? I was under the impression that there are 11 of them

BRIAN HERBERT & [half-sister] PENNY MERRITT are the senior partners. (2)

THERESA SHACKELFORD is the third wife, but I assume she isn't a senior partner (FH and she were only married what, a year or so?). (3)

JULIE HERBERT, KIMBERLY HERBERT, MARGAUX HERBERT are the three daughters of Brian. (6)

BYRON MERRITT is Penny's son. (7)

Edit:

DAVID MERRITT, ROBERT MERRITT ??? One is no doubt Byron's father (Robert?) and the other his brother. (9)

If Penny's spouse is a member, why not Brians? Add JAN HERBERT for (10).

While looking for anything on Brian's plane crash in Dreamer, I found that both David and Robert Merritt are Byron's brothers. RON MERRIT is Penny's husband. Adding Ron and Jan would bring the total to eleven.

End edit

And Kevin makes eleven! :P
Last edited by SandChigger on 29 Aug 2008 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
trang

Post by trang »

didnt have a date on either page that I saw, just at the bottom the engine says 2007-2008.

Heck if you know of more of them thats cool, just posting what I found. I didnt know any of them really until I saw it, not officially anyway.

Trang.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Sorry, I'm feeling lazy this morning and haven't looked at the linked pages yet. :( )

I'll run through the introductions, acknowledgments and afterwords of the new books later; I've always assumed that the HLP members are among the people they name there. ;)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Fear of flying...

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros, Baraka Bryan and I have been kicking at the topic of Brian's fear of flying again over on T(A)U, and I decided last night to have a go through Dreamer of Dune to see if I could find whether Brian had mentioned anything about his own phobia there. I mean, he's anally retentive about how many bottles of which wine were served with particular dinners and goes on and on (and on and on) about how he was abused and ignored by Frank as a child, so maybe, I thought, he was BALANCED and SOPHISTICATED enough to turn that POINTED analytical insight at his own mental problems.

The index, usually fairly helpful, turned up nothing of interest, so I started leafing through the book and spot-reading, hoping to find something. I kept thinking, "This shit almost won a Hugo? Dayum...talk about yer sympathy votes! Poor Brian...lost both brilliant parents and can't write worth shit. Poor guy!" :shock:

Just as I was about to give up and turn in for the night, I found this:
BH in DoD (355) wrote:As we closed our conversation, my father asked me to fly to Hawaii in April while he was away on a book tour. I mentioned the possibility of Jan going instead, since jan had become like a daughter to Mom.

"That or get some psychological help for your fear of flying," he said.
YES! His own father told him to get help for what he obviously saw as a mental problem.

Well...finding that little tidbit kept me looking for another hour. I didn't see anything else (turns out I'd backtracked too far), so I decided to turn in and look further this morning.

You may remember that when asked about his uncle's FoF, Byron mentioned something about a crash involving a small plane and, IIRC, Brian having been injured. Either way, he reportedly hasn't flown since.

Renewing the search this morning, I next found this:
BH in DoD (300) wrote:...And inside I felt a gnawing terror of a different nature, a feeling I'd experienced on occasion that foreces were at work trying to make me fly, against my will. I hadn't flown in more than ten years. Now it was a deep-seated fear ingrained in my psyche, and my parents were talking about living at least part of each year on a remote Pacific island. What if they decided to live there year-round?
OK. This was about events in 1980, so that set the date of the trauma, whatever it was, sometime before 1970.

Back further still....

And finally...I found it!
BH in DoD (276) wrote:Mom and Dad made their second trip to Europe in late 1975. Just before leaving, Mom took me into her office in one of the bedroom wings and said, almost matter-of-factly, "If we fall out of the sky, Brian, I want you to take care of things."

I hated hearing her talk like that, particularly with the way I felt about flying. In 1968, I had an unfortunate experience while taking a flying lesson in a single-engine Piper Colt, an incident where, due to the error of my instructor, we nearly collided with an airliner. Since that time I had not flown, and had vowed I would never do so again, in any sort of aircraft.
:shock:

Shit.

I mean, as in CHICKEN shit. That's it? A near miss? No mention of injuries. A freak accident that happens...how often? And he decides never to fly again?

He was 21 at the time. He's 61 now. And supposedly hasn't flown for 40 years?

Talk about a profound lack of balls. I kinda get more now why Kevin may be able to push this wimp around.

But really read between the lines, too: "I'm too frightened of dying to get on a plane for a few hours...to visit my possibly dying mother. I won't even look into using tranquilizers or medication [or my old drug of choice, alcohol]. I don't want to die...but I'm willing to send my wife in my place. Anything or anyone as long as it's not me!"

Admirable.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Now you need to post Kevin's e-mail responses to you and we get a pretty neet thread :twisted: I wonder what Byron will accuse us for this :roll: Not that i personally give a royal duck fuck about it.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, I'm just posting quotes from a book they published and I purchased and adding my own opinion and speculation. He can correct any errors or misperceptions if he wants to, but I haven't seen him in these parts in quite a while.

For example, I'm pretty sure Byron stated or implied that it was a crash and that Brian was injured, even if only slightly. (I'm not sure whether his response was public, on one of the DN BBS threads—which may or may not still be there—or whether it was by PM or email. If it was by either of the latter, I will still have a copy and can check it later. I'll do so when I import Kevin's email messages; they're all still in Eudora files.)

Either way, it's not like it's a secret if they let Brian publish it in the book.

It's not clear where it happened, or when in 1968. I don't know, something doesn't add up when you think about it. The incident happened, he says, during a flying lesson. That means he was interested in learning to fly, no? Would someone who really wanted to learn give it up that quickly after one bad experience? Was it his first lesson maybe? The first time he had ever flown? Was the instructor the one actually flying, or was he directing and Brian flying?

I guess this explains why there's no news trail: it might not even have been a big enough story to warrant reporting to the media.

But it was big enough to traumatize BwiBwi for life. :roll:

(Sorry, but as I think I have mentioned before, I really have very little sympathy for mental illness that does not have some physiological cause, like a hormonal or neuro-transmitter imbalance. If the horse throws you off or you crash your bike or car [actually IIRC Brian is no stranger to the last] and it doesn't kill you, you get back on and get on with it. Namby-pamby coddling nonsense. Someone tell him to grow the fuck up before he dies. :roll: Who knows, it might even make him a better writer.)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:... something doesn't add up ...
I'm beginning to think it never does with the Herberts/HLP folks. The stories seem to get modified to fit the occasion. Throw in KJA — who, frankly, strikes me as a flat-out liar — and you've got a nice recipe for "stretching" the truth.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

You make a good argument about fear vs balls. I just feel like all in all (over all the arguments) that Brian is the only one who deserves the smallest bit of pity. That doesn't forgive the fact that he sold his father's legacy out to a simpleton hack who is raping sci-fi legacies left and right.

what I'm tryin to say is: I feel sorry for Brian. I am of the sort that if KJA asked forgiveness of the OH community, in a truly sincere way, I would grant it. But I'm not such a hopeless cause as to expect it, especially from someone like KJA. He needs a good bitch slap and a good long time locked away face to face with his own mediocrity.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Fear of flying...

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Shit.

I mean, as in CHICKEN shit. That's it? A near miss? No mention of injuries. A freak accident that happens...how often? And he decides never to fly again?

Talk about a profound lack of balls. I kinda get more now why Kevin may be able to push this wimp around.

But really read between the lines, too: "I'm too frightened of dying to get on a plane for a few hours...to visit my possibly dying mother. I won't even look into using tranquilizers or medication [or my old drug of choice, alcohol]. I don't want to die...but I'm willing to send my wife in my place. Anything or anyone as long as it's not me!"

Admirable.
I fucking knew it. Its some made-up psychological bullshit to get attention. So he had the desire to go up on a plane and learn to fly the fucking thing, one bad things happens and he swears off Aribusses. What a puss.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, whatever.

I've pretty much lost interest poking at this one with a stick. It doesn't even squeak or whimper.

It's painfully obvious Brian Herbert is not anywhere near the writer or even the man his father was. He evidently has mistaken his legal inheritance of the (copy)rights to his father's materials and legacy as meaning he was worthy to add to the latter his own (if he really is contributing anything to the writing) and Kevin's pitiful excrescences.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

my father doesn't care to fly, of course some of the stuff he survived in his 37 years of fighting wildfires makes this understandable. When he was with CDF he was on a helicopter that had its engine start to go out 10 miles from the landing field, when it was 10 feet off the ground coming in the engine literally dropped out of the copter. Later on when he was with the Forest Sevice they were flying out on a government contract flight, they look out the window and the engine is on fire as they are sitting on the runway. There were also numerous bad flights throughout the years though as I recall the time he spent in Washington as a helitack forman was actually fairly uneventful, though when i was being born he did have to grab the helicopters landing skid so they could carry him off the fire he was on because the copter couldn't land at his location.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Does "doesn't care to fly" mean he would if there were a good enough reason?

Even if not, a man who puts in 37 years of firefighting and who gets back on aircraft even after bad experiences. Versus someone who has one near miss (and we have no idea even how close of a miss it was) and refuses to fly for over 40 years.

Sorry, Robbo, but I'm having a hard time seeing the comparison.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

not to mention he was on a one engine plane...them rinky dink planes go down all the time ..... its hardly ever the big ones that go down....so just because he got in a one engine death machine doesnt mean he shouldnt fly midwest airlines .... i'd rather not fly in the smaller planes myself... but get me on the big fuckers and i have no problem with it
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Near Miss-Any circumstance in flight where the degree of separation between two aircraft is considered by either pilot to have constituted a hazardous situation involving potential risk of collision.
So they were practicing flying in formation, and Brian freaks out...

Most likely they tried to land on the wrong strip and got mixed up in the pattern.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:But really read between the lines, too: "I'm too frightened of dying to get on a plane for a few hours...to visit my possibly dying mother. I won't even look into using tranquilizers or medication [or my old drug of choice, alcohol]. I don't want to die...but I'm willing to send my wife in my place. Anything or anyone as long as it's not me!"

Admirable.
Seems similar to his internet fears as well. I won't go near it, but I sure as hell will use it to make as much money off my father as I can through my daughter! Who cares if she sees anything that might offend her.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Remember, Byron said Brian has "philosophical reservations" about the Internet. He never would admit anything more. KJA repeated the "he saw something offensive" story in one of his emails, but that could have just been another facet of what I think is an effort on his part, maybe subconscious, to diss Brian whenever he thinks he can get away with it. (The little snips in his blawgs about Brian not being finished writing yet, etc.)

But yeah, that's another great point. "I have reservations about this thing called the Internet but yet I'm willing to have it be used as a PR tool. Money money money, it's a rich man's world!" :wink:
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

I can understand being shaken up by something for possibly a number of years, but year, 40 years is a bit much. It strikes me as he's almost simply being stubborn about his refusal to fly.

It's like when I choked on a gumball as a kid. It went right down my throat and I started choking. Foolish me, I tried to swallow it, which just made it worse. Here I was holding my throat, and my friends just laughed at me and called bullshit. Then I finally managed to cought it up. It went flying across the street. I probably didn't have any gum for the rest of the day, but I'm sure I was back at it within a couple of them. :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:
BH in DoD (276) wrote:Mom and Dad made their second trip to Europe in late 1975. Just before leaving, Mom took me into her office in one of the bedroom wings and said, almost matter-of-factly, "If we fall out of the sky, Brian, I want you to take care of things."

I hated hearing her talk like that, particularly with the way I felt about flying. In 1968, I had an unfortunate experience while taking a flying lesson in a single-engine Piper Colt, an incident where, due to the error of my instructor, we nearly collided with an airliner. Since that time I had not flown, and had vowed I would never do so again, in any sort of aircraft.

Shit.

Is that a joke? "Nearly collided"? As in, basically nothing happened? That isn't even an accident that creates a phobia!

My friend was in a car accident in which a fellow passenger was actually killed; he has managed to overcome his fear. What the hell is BH's excuse? Brian Herbert is an utter fucking disgrace. :roll:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

GamePlayer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Shit.

Is that a joke? "Nearly collided"? As in, basically nothing happened? That isn't even an accident that creates a phobia!

My friend was in a car accident in which a fellow passenger was actually killed; he has managed to overcome his fear. What the hell is BH's excuse? Brian Herbert is an utter fucking disgrace. :roll:
Frank Herbert have had a huge shame of a son like that. I fell sorry for FH and Berverly haven`t had a family and a son with the size of their character.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

orald

Post by orald »

sparafucile wrote:It's like when I choked on a gumball as a kid. It went right down my throat and I started choking. Foolish me, I tried to swallow it, which just made it worse. Here I was holding my throat, and my friends just laughed at me and called bullshit. Then I finally managed to cought it up. It went flying across the street. I probably didn't have any gum for the rest of the day, but I'm sure I was back at it within a couple of them. :lol:
Well, I avoid eating unprocessed(and not so kin on processed either, except maybe tuna since there aren't any bones) fish due to the bones.

That "do it to my wife/daughter!" thing kinda reminds me of room 101 in 1984. :lol:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'll see your uncyclopedia and raise you one genre-stealing parody poster

(that article rocks, btw. Thanks for sharing)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandChigger wrote:Ampoliros, Baraka Bryan and I have been kicking at the topic of Brian's fear of flying again over on T(A)U, and I decided last night to have a go through Dreamer of Dune to see if I could find whether Brian had mentioned anything about his own phobia there. I mean, he's anally retentive about how many bottles of which wine were served with particular dinners and goes on and on (and on and on) about how he was abused and ignored by Frank as a child, so maybe, I thought, he was BALANCED and SOPHISTICATED enough to turn that POINTED analytical insight at his own mental problems.

The index, usually fairly helpful, turned up nothing of interest, so I started leafing through the book and spot-reading, hoping to find something. I kept thinking, "This shit almost won a Hugo? Dayum...talk about yer sympathy votes! Poor Brian...lost both brilliant parents and can't write worth shit. Poor guy!" :shock:

Just as I was about to give up and turn in for the night, I found this:
BH in DoD (355) wrote:As we closed our conversation, my father asked me to fly to Hawaii in April while he was away on a book tour. I mentioned the possibility of Jan going instead, since jan had become like a daughter to Mom.

YES! His own father told him to get help for what he obviously saw as a mental problem.

Well...finding that little tidbit kept me looking for another hour. I didn't see anything else (turns out I'd backtracked too far), so I decided to turn in and look further this morning.

You may remember that when asked about his uncle's FoF, Byron mentioned something about a crash involving a small plane and, IIRC, Brian having been injured. Either way, he reportedly hasn't flown since.

Renewing the search this morning, I next found this:
BH in DoD (300) wrote:...And inside I felt a gnawing terror of a different nature, a feeling I'd experienced on occasion that foreces were at work trying to make me fly, against my will. I hadn't flown in more than ten years. Now it was a deep-seated fear ingrained in my psyche, and my parents were talking about living at least part of each year on a remote Pacific island. What if they decided to live there year-round?
OK. This was about events in 1980, so that set the date of the trauma, whatever it was, sometime before 1970.

Back further still....

And finally...I found it!

Shit.

Admirable.
Poor attention-seeking Brian, trying to outdo the gay brother but failing miserably. Such a FLOP son. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
orald

Post by orald »

Bah, Brian probably just spilled booz all over the controls.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.