Leto and Ghanima

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Secher_Nbiw

Leto and Ghanima

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....
I am a mortal god.
orald

Post by orald »

In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
HoosierDaddy

Re: Leto and Ghanima

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....
Why bother getting married if no sexual contact and no children? And if two people want to "live together", whats to stop them?

As for Leto and Ghani, they married to consolidate the throne/power. And correct me if I'm wrong, once Leto II took the sandtrout skin, he couldn't father children. And before that, both were prepubescent.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

orald wrote:Read Time Enough For Love. :wink: ( :puke: )

Good book

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Didnt Heinlein kind of touch on these issues in Podkayne of Mars too? its been years since I read that one and i cannot remember for certain.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

anyone got a pdf of this so i can read in my spare time, aka at work? ;)
I am a mortal god.
waff

Post by waff »

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Secher_Nbiw wrote:Someone recently asked me if it's ok to marry your sibling, providing there would be no sexual contact and no offspring born, and it got me thinking about the Leto/Ghani situation. Marrying a sibling doesn't seem to be an accepted thing, but how difficult must it have been on those two, given they have full access to other memory and it is stated they play the parent game, where, in effect, they let their parents control their bodies ( this was also something handled very well in the COD mini-series). I was just pondering on this and thought i'd offer it up as food for thought....
Why bother getting married if no sexual contact and no children? And if two people want to "live together", whats to stop them?

As for Leto and Ghani, they married to consolidate the throne/power. And correct me if I'm wrong, once Leto II took the sandtrout skin, he couldn't father children. And before that, both were prepubescent.
They were kids, but they were following the ancient Egyptian model of marrying inside the royal family (all that very old other memory). But it was his plan that Ghani breed with the Corrino line, and then he could manipulate the subsequent Atreides through his breeding program to create a Siona in the end.

Leto tells Hwi in GEoD that he started the transformation before he became sexually mature. He felt the hunger--both for food and probably in that other region too--so in his pre-flipper days he would just start running!!!!! (I think they had a cute little CG McAvoy doing a Forrest Gump at the end of the miniseries--and yes, McAvoy was way older than the book Leto). I love how everyone looks for a sandworm penis on him in GEoD.
orald

Post by orald »

waff wrote:I love how everyone looks for a sandworm penis on him in GEoD.
Not only look, but find! :shock:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Drunken Idaho wrote:IE Fucking...
Lawl!

Yeah, we know what it means ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Drunken Idaho wrote:It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...
Nope. Its when you are pronounced man and wife. Or whatever. Though failure of consummation is adequate grounds in most states to get a divorce.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Drunken Idaho wrote:It works in the Duniverse, but in our world, isn't the marriage only official when the bride and groom have consummated the marriage? IE Fucking...
Depends on the culture, I can't think of any that I'm totally sure of off the top of my head by I think there have been/are several cultures where a marriage doesn't need to be consummated to be official. Could be wrong though.

Look at George Takai and his husband, official marriage but they're probably too old to get it up. :wink: (I kid, I kid)

EDIT TO ADD:
Omphalos wrote:
Nope. Its when you are pronounced man and wife. Or whatever. Though failure of consummation is adequate grounds in most states to get a divorce.
There you go, I forgot OUR culture. :oops: