Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

fantomas wrote:Edit: One solution might be, to academically improve the teaching system.Students are failing their teachers and vice-versa.
I've got another solution, Go F**k yourself.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

ok, i've not read through this entire thread, but i've just seen what GamePlayer wrote, and while I do agree, the problem is all people want is mediocre entertainment. People don't think because they don't want to. The masses are content to be told what to do, what to watch. They are content to be interested in who's sleeping with who, they are fine with the idea that news has been replaced with celebrity gossip.

There is no easy way of convincing people otherwise. We have arrived at a point were everything is stagnant. Nothing is changing, and no-one seems to want anything to change, and those of us that want it, either do not do anything about it, or our voices and actions are drowned out by the plebian masses who only want more of the same pre-chewed bit of steak they've been eating for years.
I am a mortal god.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Nekhrun wrote:
fantomas wrote:Edit: One solution might be, to academically improve the teaching system.Students are failing their teachers and vice-versa.
I've got another solution, Go F**k yourself.
There is no civility. Do you even care? You fucking drunk!
orald

Post by orald »

Oh no, not the "today's society..." bullshit again.

When has the greater society and masses ever cared about anything other than food/sex/shelter and the info that might help them achieve it(i.e gossip, though it has come to also include trivial shit about people that don't ever affect you, but is still basically driven by human instincts)?
Food and games were good enough for Rome and are good enough for all nations.

We few, we witty few, will always remain relatively but a few.

And Chig, no compromise? No quarter? Now who's being the fanatic? :wink: (I say kill'em and lets be done with it)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

thats my point orald, it never has cared for anything other than those things. and that is society's downfall. unfortunately, it also screws the rest of us over something chronic, because of the ignorance of the masses we must endure through the verbal diarrhea of the stage and screen and the dire tripe that gets printed on mass with no thought given except to profits.
I am a mortal god.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote::roll:

No no no! Don't answer in a way that requires him to THINK!

:lol:
Don't worry, some one will come along shortly to shit all over the thread with a big "everything sucks and I don't give a shit" post :)

In fact, here comes oraldo now :lol:
orald

Post by orald »

Oh yea, my post could be summed up with "everything sucks"(though I do seem to give a shit here), only my point is "it always sucked" versus yours that is "it was a pink paradise when I was a kid, but now it sucks".

Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

In the spirit of "Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer" I
have recently registered at DN. I would be happy to be an anonymous foil
for the unenlightened, or do some recon if needed. As to my immortal soul,
gah! it's a lost cause and has been for a while. ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

fantomas wrote: Edit: One solution might be, to academically improve the teaching system.
Students are failing their teachers and vice-versa.

Go fuck yourself with a fucking cactus you cunt!

Rob
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

GamePlayer wrote:This isn't about some bullshit "war" or trying to find some compromise between a business and their dissatisfied customers. You're obviously lacking a lot of perspective about the larger issues at play here, fantomas. KJA/BH and the Dune prequels are just one minor symptom of a much larger problem in our society; the systematic endorsement and celebration of mediocrity at the expense of recognizing and cultivating creativity.

This is not some problem unique to the Dune franchise, nor was the HLP the first to exploit it. From Star Wars to Star Trek, anime to literature, pop music to pop culture, societies all around the world are becoming globalized, homogenized wastelands of pointless consumer product for the sake of consumer product. Our own political correctness has created an environment in which every product is designed to sell the maximum number of units to largest market of potential customers in the least offensive format possible.

The only way to stop all this is to convince people to stop buying mediocre entertainment. To do that, people have to start thinking and that's sadly a very tall order these days.
In other words, capitalism + entertainment = shitty products.

If the goal is to maximize profits at least expense in time and effort, "entertainment" that can be mass produced is "better" than putting a lot of work into something that's better art or has deeper meaning or whatever. That's one of the problems with the mentality that profit is king.

As long as the Freakzilla Law of Stupidity holds, and assuming that enough people have the resources to purchase entertainment, it's easier(more cost-efficient, in terms of the ratio of profit-to-expenses being as high as possible.) to sell a "worse" product in the entertainment industry than a better product. And since the Law always holds...it turns out that good art only prevails if the masses are kept as poor as possible. It's almost amusing.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

Wait there a moment, what does "worse product" mean in the entertainment field for you? Do you mean to tell me the shitquels are a worse product than FH's Dune series? Howcome?

Every person has his/her own kind of entertainment, and sadly, most people would get more into the shitquels than into Dune.
For them Dune IS the(gasp!) worse product. :shock:

Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Robspierre wrote:
fantomas wrote: Edit: One solution might be, to academically improve the teaching system.

Rob
Incompetent.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

SandChigger wrote:Fantomas, blow it out your other end already.

THERE CAN BE NO PEACE.

Unless they admit their shit books are fanfic and contain more of their own feeble imaginings than ideas from FH.

Unless they admit that Kevin is the one doing most of the writing.

Let's see, what else? :twisted:
My sentiments exactly. And furthermore, show us the fucking Notes and Outline if you have so much fucking confidence in your work. I hate to hear that crap about how we will go through the notes line by line finding every little error and inconsistency....yeah, damn fucking right I will!! If you had done a thorough job to start with we wouldn't be in this boat.

There is no reconciliation anymore. They are too smug, too obtuse and too inve$ted in this mockery to turn back now. Keep the pay checks coming, keep the official board sufficiently edited and clean of malcontents, and reap the benefits of screwing a great man's legacy, you jackasses. And furthermore if you continue to feed the machine more and more $$$$$, than you are no fucking better than they are Fantomas (or any other prequelite for that matter).
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Tleilax Master B wrote:

THERE CAN BE NO PEACE.

Unless they admit their shit books are fanfic and contain more of their own feeble imaginings than ideas from FH.

My sentiments exactly. And furthermore, show us the fucking Notes and Outline if you have so much fucking confidence in your work. I hate to hear that crap about how we will go through the notes line by line finding every little error and inconsistency....yeah, damn fucking right I will!! If you had done a thorough job to start with we wouldn't be in this boat.

There is no reconciliation anymore. They are too smug, too obtuse and too inve$ted in this mockery to turn back now. Keep the pay checks coming, keep the official board sufficiently edited and clean of malcontents, and reap the benefits of screwing a great man's legacy, you jackasses. And furthermore if you continue to feed the machine more and more $$$$$, than you are no fucking better than they are Fantomas (or any other prequelite for that matter).
May I, at least, buy the 6 original works. Please?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

fantomas wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

THERE CAN BE NO PEACE.

You don't deserve them you dirty troll! :twisted:
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

fantomas wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

THERE CAN BE NO PEACE.

If you buy them used, that's fine. If you receive them as a gift, get the receipt and return them for credit ASAP. Checking them out from the library is acceptable as well. Stealing them from a bookstore is borderline IMO, but I personally wouldn't fault someone, as their heart is in the right place.

:wink:
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:Wait there a moment, what does "worse product" mean in the entertainment field for you? Do you mean to tell me the shitquels are a worse product than FH's Dune series? Howcome?
Let me define my terms.

For me:

Better product: high quality work that is well-written, with interesting characters and plots, with a deeper theme that makes one think.
Worse product: pointless pulp that has shallow one-dimensional characters, are driven by a pointless plot and move from action sequence to action sequence, and have prose the likes of which romance writers look down upon.

For them:

Better product: More books = more money = better, regardless of the contents of the book.
Worse product: That which doesn't sell well.
Every person has his/her own kind of entertainment, and sadly, most people would get more into the shitquels than into Dune.
There's no accounting for taste, they say.
For them Dune IS the(gasp!) worse product. :shock:
That's my point.
fantomas wrote:May I, at least, buy the 6 original works. Please?
Depends. Do you want to contribute to the continued rape of Frank Herbert's corpse? If you don't, find used copies. If you do, head down to the local Books-a-Dozen or Barnes and Ignoble and buy to your heart's delight.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

GamePlayer wrote:This isn't about some bullshit "war" or trying to find some compromise between a business and their dissatisfied customers. You're obviously lacking a lot of perspective about the larger issues at play here, fantomas. KJA/BH and the Dune prequels are just one minor symptom of a much larger problem in our society; the systematic endorsement and celebration of mediocrity at the expense of recognizing and cultivating creativity.
Meh. Shitty art is a thing of all time. You don't think that the likes of Van Gogh or Michelangelo had contemporaries who produced shitty paintings and sculptures?

The only thing that changed in the last century or so is that with more literate people there are more and more people who appreciate works of literature and art, or whatever they think passes for it. It doesn't affect the people who can distinguish between Dune and the 'quels.

For what it's worth, I think KJA and Brian are a pair of pretentious and arrogant dweebs who should stop hiding behind the excuse of "this is how Frank Herbert would have wanted it".
But as for their readers, to each his own.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Yeah, this topic has picked up... :twisted:
orald

Post by orald »

Van Gogh was a crazy doo-doo head anyway.

Michelangelo on the other hand...

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Robspierre wrote:

Rob
Hey, Robbo, Happy BD, ya big skirt-wearing lug you. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

HoosierDaddy wrote: Stealing them from a bookstore is borderline IMO, but I personally wouldn't fault someone, as their heart is in the right place.

:laughing:
Thanks,
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

fantomas wrote:
HoosierDaddy wrote: Stealing them from a bookstore is borderline IMO, but I personally wouldn't fault someone, as their heart is in the right place.

:laughing:
Thanks,
After further review, stealing FH books from a bookstore would be clearly wrong, as the bookstore would take the loss, not the publisher.

Stealing them directly from the publisher works fine. We would have to direct this activity to the covert operations division of the Orthodox Herbert.

:twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for that correction.

(Advising a druggee to steal...never a good thing. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

orald wrote:Van Gogh was a crazy doo-doo head anyway.
You're talking my language, ya big poop. ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.