Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Woohoooo!!!

I'm a member of the Dead Posts Society!!!!1

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol: Congratulations!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Good on ya, Robbo!

Lift yer skirt and shake it at 'em right good you did! :lol:

:shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:Good on ya, Robbo!

Lift yer skirt and shake it at 'em right good you did! :lol:

:shock:
By Byron's reaction we know who's feeling a wee bit inadequate :wink:

Rob
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

Rob, I only saw the title of that post you made at DN. I had been away from the PC a while, and when I went to read it, it had been deleted. Do you still have a copy of what you posted or even a general summary?
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

There comes a time when one must respond in an open and blunt manner. Eight books have been written, two more than Frank himself wrote, all for what? Obviously not to build upon the groundwork laid by Frank. If that was the case, Erasmus and Omnius would not of been created by the authors and an entire trilogy not devoted to building up the back story for two characters who they authors have stated they created.

After it books it is clear, neither author has the vision, let alone the understanding, to write works that are tributes to what Frank spent much of his lifetime creating and nurturing. Instead the authors have taken it upon themselves to write their own Dune fantasy’s, to mold what Frank created into the image that pleases them, ignoring all of the work that Frank so carefully developed, all to “fix” what Frank neglected to include because he had the gall to not include all that exciting stuff.

Which leads into the fact that after eight books it is abundantly clear that the authors have no understanding of what Frank was trying to do and so caught up in trying to create their own Dune that they threw away and destroyed the work of Frank, The Golden Path and the God Emperor are clear examples that the authors made no attempt to understand the basic themes that were extremely important to the Dune Universe. Deus Ex Machina has no place in Dune, neither does the cardboard comic book style of Hero they ineptly attempt to portray.

Eight books of poor writing, blatant disregard for the work of the creator, and the egotistical behavior of the man who is a hired hand, yet acts as if he is in fact the master of Dune, yes I speak of Kevin J. Anderson, I wash my hands of New Dune. Kevin’s arsehole attitude and snake oil salesman behavior on top of his whoring of his own work leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. It was not the words of Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert that sold copies, it was the Dune name itself, that sold the works.

The road to hell is paid with good intentions and good intentions have created the situation where instead of preserving the legacy of a master, it is used to fuel the ego and fantasy’s of a manipulative t wat who has defiled the legacy Frank left behind.

The HLP needs to have think long and hard, is the desecration of mans lifetimes work worth the gains that you have seen? Are they worth associating yourself with a man who counts success not by quality but by quantity, who blatantly rips off ideas and concepts from more accomplished writers?

The damage has been done and every novel the hacks write drives another nail into the coffin of Frank’s legacy. I want no part in accepting and praising the mediocrity that is the new benchmark for Dune.

Shite is shite and will always stink no matter how you dress it up and the HLP should be ashamed for allowing a shite writer get involved, make no mistake Kevin J. Anderson is a shite writer of the highest degree.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Great stuff.

Is that what you posted over at ByronThePettyTyrant.com? If so, I'd have to say it's probably the single greatest thing ever written over there ... so, of course it got deleted. :wink:

Any comment on this, Byron? We know you lurk here pretty regularly.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

Thanks for posting that. Was it up for long before being deleted?
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Great post, but I'm not surprised you were banned. :)

HBJ
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Nice hand, sir.
waff

Post by waff »

Amen, brother!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Pushtrak wrote:Thanks for posting that. Was it up for long before being deleted?
Aboot 13 hours :twisted:

And no clarification is needed I went out in a blaze of glory, I broke the rules, i gor banned nuff said.

Ron
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

TheDukester wrote:Great stuff.

Is that what you posted over at ByronThePettyTyrant.com? If so, I'd have to say it's probably the single greatest thing ever written over there ... so, of course it got deleted. :wink:
I don't know. Some of chanilover's exchanges with random trolls were brilliant.

Edit: I just found one such thread, including the most brilliant thing Sole Man has ever said:
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

That's an impressive leaving post, Rob.

As for arguing with trolls, I quite liked meeting Omar for the first time. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Exactly the point Robspiere, nicely put 8) couldnt have made it better myself.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

I don't think anymore needs saying after that. That pretty much covered all the bases without being to specific and nit-picky. Power to you!
I am a mortal god.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

SandChigger wrote: But I refuse to wish well anything with the name "Kevin J. Anderson" on it.
"I'm Kevin J. Anderson, and....I'm a Hack"

"Hi Kevin"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Just got the boot at DN for putting up that penny arcade comic.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just got the boot at DN for putting up that penny arcade comic.
I posted after you or there's about and I got deleted. I think is my first time being deleted.

All I said was that C.H.O.A.M.'s profit had been acquired partly thru the support of the Great Houses and that the books could be fix in the future by cooperation using C.H.O.A.M.'s current methods and orthodox ones. I asked for an agreement between C.H.O.A.M. and the Great Houses to help FH's legacy endure and be endearing to new fans. I was trying to say that the cooperation of the Great Houses is vital to Dune because of their data banks and their willingness to share it.

I might be pissing off both sides here, but a compromise has to be reached. The Exodus or Exiling of the Great Houses from the Duniverse must be addressed by both parties involved and discussion of solutions mitigated with cold logic, and not emotions, on either side.
Civil discussion must prevail.

I forsee a day where little Fremen are told about the rift that almost destroyed the Dunivers and all Its inhabitants.
I forsee peace! :wink:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just got the boot at DN for putting up that penny arcade comic.
So worth it though ...

And I'll bet it frustrates Byron to no end that he can't actually ban Gabe and Tycho, too. Because, gosh darn it all, they are real meanies!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Fantomas, blow it out your other end already.

THERE CAN BE NO PEACE.

Unless they admit their shit books are fanfic and contain more of their own feeble imaginings than ideas from FH.

Unless they admit that Kevin is the one doing most of the writing.

Let's see, what else? :twisted:
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:Let's see, what else? :twisted:
The might admit that censorship never leads to civil discussion.

Oh, wait, I know. They could just stop writing Dune books.

And they have to release the Outline and Notes.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

This isn't about some bullshit "war" or trying to find some compromise between a business and their dissatisfied customers. You're obviously lacking a lot of perspective about the larger issues at play here, fantomas. KJA/BH and the Dune prequels are just one minor symptom of a much larger problem in our society; the systematic endorsement and celebration of mediocrity at the expense of recognizing and cultivating creativity.

This is not some problem unique to the Dune franchise, nor was the HLP the first to exploit it. From Star Wars to Star Trek, anime to literature, pop music to pop culture, societies all around the world are becoming globalized, homogenized wastelands of pointless consumer product for the sake of consumer product. Our own political correctness has created an environment in which every product is designed to sell the maximum number of units to largest market of potential customers in the least offensive format possible.

The only way to stop all this is to convince people to stop buying mediocre entertainment. To do that, people have to start thinking and that's sadly a very tall order these days.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:roll:

No no no! Don't answer in a way that requires him to THINK!

:lol:
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

GamePlayer wrote:This isn't about some bullshit "war" or trying to find some compromise between a business and their dissatisfied customers. You're obviously lacking a lot of perspective about the larger issues at play here, fantomas. KJA/BH and the Dune prequels are just one minor symptom of a much larger problem in our society; the systematic endorsement and celebration of mediocrity at the expense of recognizing and cultivating creativity.

This is not some problem unique to the Dune franchise, nor was the HLP the first to exploit it. From Star Wars to Star Trek, anime to literature, pop music to pop culture, societies all around the world are becoming globalized, homogenized wastelands of pointless consumer product for the sake of consumer product. Our own political correctness has created an environment in which every product is designed to sell the maximum number of units to largest market of potential customers in the least offensive format possible.

The only way to stop all this is to convince people to stop buying mediocre entertainment. To do that, people have to start thinking and that's sadly a very tall order these days.
I do not consider "it" a bullshit war, but it is war.

The last two sentences in your quote? How is this goal to be accomplished?
I read that in other books the damaged done had been "fixed" and that it took 5-6 years to do. I thought something similar could be done with Dune.
Edit: One solution might be, to academically improve the teaching system.
Students are failing their teachers and vice-versa.