Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

HoosierDaddy

Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Multiple threads here, and Chigger (maybe others too) even references them as a link on his blog/site.

I'm the type that votes with my feet, and my money. I haven't paid one cent to the HLP, and if my FH Dune books get worn out, I'll buy used ones to replace them. I will freely send digital copies of anything Dune related, to anybody that wants them. Every dollar paid to the HLP means more crappy books, and every hit dunenovels.com gets means more leverage they have on the publishers.

Am I alone in wanting the HLP to die a painful financial death?

:?:

PS: Byron, feel free to reply here.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

There's been talk about doing "blazes of glory" over there several times, but none of the "big players" ever seems to follow through.

I've been going back and forth all week on calling for a boycott of the DN BBS—something I haven't done yet in the year since I myself was banned. But what would be the point of yet another futile gesture when people seem more than happy to keep going back and cyberkissing the HLP's virtual ass?

I'm taking a longer view as far as their "demise", however. I WANT them to keep letting Kevin write his crappy "Dune" books. He's got the comb-over so far up his own ass now that he's just going to keep going as he has. He's convinced he can do no wrong. And he'll have to keep getting more and more extreme with those "unlimited special effects" and plot twists. And since he seems to have an abysmal understanding of the Duniverse, by the time he finishes Letotard of Dung and starts working on the "Great Schools of Dune" triology of mediprequels (between "Legends" and "Houses"), he should be completely out of hand (and out of his mind?). Even the stupidest of the new book fans should be getting tired of the crap and inconsistencies by then.

And if the new movie flops as badly as I hope it will, the two things together should help destroy any credibility the losers have in publishing or Hollywood. (Well, maybe not the latter. :roll: ) Forget about Byron being able to milk the ole cashcow. Maybe his grandchildren will be able to suck a few drops from the teats? :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

DN was the first really active home of the Orthodox Herbertarian Jihad.

Last August, around when Sandworms got published, SC, a few others, and myself got banned due to violations of the new rules(admittedly, I was asking for it :D ).

It's just about the only place on the internet that OHers can engage preeks(if you really want to call the one-sided deletion of posts as "engagement").

I don't know what other people's motivations are. I don't check DN that often, but when I do it's to get a healthy dose of righteousness, and a bit of tasty schadenfreude. It's really nice to see how dead it is over there since the OH Wanderings, and the level of stupidity and preekish delight is just amazing. It feels good to know that banning and censoring true Dune fans results in a shitty site.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I'm building up to a blaze of glory :twisted:

Rob
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I don't think it will hurt anybody to continue rubbing their face into the dung they write and publish. The idea of annoying the HLP is reason enough to keep doing it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I don't :) I left and never went back. Fuck em. Official sites suck anyway; they always have. I should have known better than to join in the first place, but I did meet everyone here, so it's not a total bad :)
waff

Post by waff »

I read Dunenovels for a long time, but was always sick of how it was designed to promote the Abominations as much as the true FH Dune novels. Never trust a discussion forum sponsored by publishers. They are worse than the Dirty Tleilaxu! Oh wait, I am a Master, so neveruhmind. They are powindah trash!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

waff wrote:I read Dunenovels for a long time, but was always sick of how it was designed to promote the Abominations as much as the true FH Dune novels. Never trust a discussion forum sponsored by publishers. They are worse than the Dirty Tleilaxu! Oh wait, I am a Master, so neveruhmind. They are powindah trash!
You are not the true Tleilatz Masterach!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Phaedrus wrote:You are not the true Tleilatz Masterach!
(groan)
TheDukester

Re: Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Post by TheDukester »

HoosierDaddy wrote:I haven't paid one cent to the HLP ...
I was just about to add a nice "me, too!" when I glanced at my bookshelf and saw Road to Dune. Damnit!

I bought it for the deleted scenes and the publication history, of course. None of the rest was even glanced at. But it still added to those idiots' bottom line.

I feel shame.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Why Does Anybody Read/Care About Dunenovels.com?

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:
HoosierDaddy wrote:I haven't paid one cent to the HLP ...
I was just about to add a nice "me, too!" when I glanced at my bookshelf and saw Road to Dune. Damnit!

I bought it for the deleted scenes and the publication history, of course. None of the rest was even glanced at. But it still added to those idiots' bottom line.

I feel shame.
To hate a thing, grasshopper, you must know a thing. And in this world that means material acquisition. Fear not, for your soul is not at risk for this most minor of transgressions.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:
(groan)
You're just a hater.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Phaedrus wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
(groan)
You're just a hater.
So punish me some more. :P
orald

Post by orald »

Chig loves being punished for the bad boy he is. :shock:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, and we all know how you dream of knowing just how bad I can be. :wink:

Back in the office, Monday morning, before work! Time to see what's hopping on Dumb Novels! ;)

HoosierDaddy! I thought of one reason why I keep reading the posts over there when I can:

Even though posting there probably has a retarding effect on your intelligence, just reading the posts always makes me feel better about myself: at least I'm not that stupid (=as stupid as such-and-such). :lol:

Edit after looking around: Whoa...new lows! :shock:
Pushtrak

Post by Pushtrak »

SandChigger wrote:And if the new movie flops as badly as I hope it will, the two things together should help destroy any credibility the losers have in publishing or Hollywood.
I hope it will be good, but sadly, I have a feeling you will get what you wish. Whatever about what officially sanctioned fan fiction is released after the fact, having a bad movie on Dune is a tragedy. It muddies the name of the book, and that I fear is an unavoidable path.
And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good?
-need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
-Robert Pirsig, Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Since I love Dune, normally I really would like to see a new movie version of it turn out well.

But I refuse to wish well anything with the name "Kevin J. Anderson" on it.

That was a completely unnecessary concession of the part of the Herberts, letting him worm his way in as co-producer.

(Unless he really is blackmailing them. ;) )

Just another bit of padding for his resume, something more for him to crow about.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, who wants to bet he tries to insert some references to prequel stuff he and BH invented?
Paul: But Father, why are we going to Arrakis when we know it's a trap?

Duke Leto: Well, I figured if we turned it down, House Vernius might be granted a half-fiefdom, especially since they only just regained Ix back from the Tleilaxu. Count Fenring has already been making noises to the Emperor that they are a better choice for Dune.

Paul: That Count Fenring. He kills me.
HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Or tries to, at least. :lol:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

you can bet your ass that's what they'll at least try to do, unless Berg has the balls to tell them to go lick paint.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Can you imagine the opening scenes, with flashbacks to Cymeks romping around during the Butlerian Jihad, before Paul is born on Kaitain and whisked away to Caladan. Wonder if Paul will make it rain at the end?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
waff

Post by waff »

chanilover wrote:Can you imagine the opening scenes, with flashbacks to Cymeks romping around during the Butlerian Jihad, before Paul is born on Kaitain and whisked away to Caladan. Wonder if Paul will make it rain at the end?
As long as Arnie plays Omnius... he can say, "I'll be back!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

chanilover wrote:Can you imagine the opening scenes, with flashbacks to Cymeks romping around during the Butlerian Jihad, before Paul is born on Kaitain and whisked away to Caladan. Wonder if Paul will make it rain at the end?
I agree Chanilover, i'm sure they will use the beginning to insert lots of stuff from the KJA books; like they did in the 1984 director's cut, with that little diaporama thiggy at the beginning, but instead it will last half an hour, resume the 6 prequel books and narrated by Norma Cenva :puke: (I'm so glad we have this pukin smiley :P )
orald

Post by orald »

I say they take the Terminator opening intact and only make everything CGI, as is the custom these days.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

How many of his ideas do you think that "below worm level of evolution money sucking hump" KJA will try to put in the movie? I can already imagine him pesking Berg like a gremlin.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood