CH:D/HoD differences copy

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If enyone hasn't read the DE entry on no-fields you should. It's been a long time but I remember it being interesting and making some sense.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Edric

Post by Edric »

I thought I'd just mention that I checked all six books of the series . . . Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune had no differences between the UK & US editions.

I guess we all know about the differences between Heretics and Chapterhouse by now.

As for Dune Messiah the story was the same in both versions except for the begining. The UK version starts off with a couple of paragraphs of recap from Dune. The US version starts with a two page mini chapter called the "Death Cell Interview With Bronso of Ix."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You've certainly been busy. :)

(Now, about that other matter.... ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:If enyone hasn't read the DE entry on no-fields you should. It's been a long time but I remember it being interesting and making some sense.
I'll have to try to get a copy of the DE from somewhere. I gave a copy to my father about 567 years ago, when it first came out, and spent many an hour poring over it. I remember the entries of the sandworm cycle and butlerian Jihad were particularly fascinating.

Haven't been able to find a copy since that didn't cost an arm and a leg, though.

HBJ
Edric

Post by Edric »

I have a request regarding the US versions of Heretics and Chapterhouse, could someone with a US copy of the novels go through the RED US only text and add Italics where required? once done could you send the updated copies to me?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:If enyone hasn't read the DE entry on no-fields you should. It's been a long time but I remember it being interesting and making some sense.
I'll have to try to get a copy of the DE from somewhere. I gave a copy to my father about 567 years ago, when it first came out, and spent many an hour poring over it. I remember the entries of the sandworm cycle and butlerian Jihad were particularly fascinating.

Haven't been able to find a copy since that didn't cost an arm and a leg, though.

HBJ
There is a PDF...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

PM me with an email HJ and I'll send the DE .pdf.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks, I already found it online. Google's a beautiful thing.

HBJ
SadisticCynic

Re: CH:D/HoD differences copy

Post by SadisticCynic »

I knew this was around somewhere; any chance of obtaining those differences? :pray:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:I knew this was around somewhere; any chance of obtaining those differences? :pray:
I've sent you the HoD composite in Word format, seems that's all I have at home.

I'd appreciate if you'd remind me tomorrow, I have both in PDF at work. I need to send them to myself too.

I thought it would be in my sent mail, but no.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:I knew this was around somewhere; any chance of obtaining those differences? :pray:
I've sent you the HoD composite in Word format, seems that's all I have at home.

I'd appreciate if you'd remind me tomorrow, I have both in PDF at work. I need to send them to myself too.

I thought it would be in my sent mail, but no.
NM, Sent.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:text-thankyoublue:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Sev

Post by Sev »

I wasn't aware until reading this thread that there were differences between what I've read in the UK to what most of you have read in the US - any chance of an email copy please?
Thanks
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sev wrote:I wasn't aware until reading this thread that there were differences between what I've read in the UK to what most of you have read in the US - any chance of an email copy please?
Thanks
Only because you said the magic word...
~Pink Snowman
Edric

Post by Edric »

Anyone supprised by the differences in the content between the US and UK versions? ie the background to Teg's career [Heretics of Dune] serving the Sisterhood as oppossed to the skippy detail given in the US version?
Teg had once said that at a negotiation, standing with his clenched fists pressed against a tabletop while he leaned toward the three stiff faces across from him—two men and a woman representing the combined interests of Fish Speakers and Ixians. The three were aligned against a Guild-fostered consortium which was fronting for CHOAM: a dispute over five planetary marketplaces. Bene Gesserit interests were involved because they maintained Keeps and other missions on each of the planets, all sure to be demolished in any violence arising from this dispute. The Sisterhood intruded in the role of interested arbitrator, showing at the start that they would take violent action against anyone resorting to arms.
Seeing the pattern in it, Teg had marshaled sixteen of his personally-trained legions in no-ship monitors prepared to act instantly at his signal.
Tempers ran high during the negotiations and Teg was never sure whether his eloquence or the certainty of escalated violence from his forces won the day for a compromise settlement. The compromise took two of his legions to each of the five planets, overseers of the agreement. Two of his lieutenants had been knifed and he had been forced to execute nine civilians before it was settled; minor bloodshed considering the potential for greater conflict.
Afterward the Sisterhood analyzed the affair and concluded that Teg's reputation for inspired warfare had been as much a factor in the solution as any other element of the compromise. Teg accepted this praise as one more symptom of the terrible powers which could be balanced so delicately where their interests conflicted. Everything such powers did was ultimately a pawn in some distant negotiation. All such matters could be interpreted as confrontations where the Sisterhood's aim was to prevent monopolies and manage prices.
As he disembarked from his lighter, Teg shook his head to clear his mind of old recollections. That was all ancient history, things which occurred before his retirement, before the ghola.
That entire passage is omitted in the US version!

I spent ages typing up the differences and as yet am still waiting for the fans to take it to the next level by talking about them in detail, any takers?

Any plans to post the differences chapter by chapter in the reading group?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I remember going through and reading them all, some seemed very significant. I would be up for discussion.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(I need to find my copies. And annotate my working files. :? )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Edric wrote:Anyone supprised by the differences in the content between the US and UK versions? ie the background to Teg's career [Heretics of Dune] serving the Sisterhood as oppossed to the skippy detail given in the US version?
Edric! Long time! :D
Teg had once said that at a negotiation, standing with his clenched fists pressed against a tabletop while he leaned toward the three stiff faces across from him—two men and a woman representing the combined interests of Fish Speakers and Ixians. The three were aligned against a Guild-fostered consortium which was fronting for CHOAM: a dispute over five planetary marketplaces. Bene Gesserit interests were involved because they maintained Keeps and other missions on each of the planets, all sure to be demolished in any violence arising from this dispute. The Sisterhood intruded in the role of interested arbitrator, showing at the start that they would take violent action against anyone resorting to arms.
Seeing the pattern in it, Teg had marshaled sixteen of his personally-trained legions in no-ship monitors prepared to act instantly at his signal.
Tempers ran high during the negotiations and Teg was never sure whether his eloquence or the certainty of escalated violence from his forces won the day for a compromise settlement. The compromise took two of his legions to each of the five planets, overseers of the agreement. Two of his lieutenants had been knifed and he had been forced to execute nine civilians before it was settled; minor bloodshed considering the potential for greater conflict.
Afterward the Sisterhood analyzed the affair and concluded that Teg's reputation for inspired warfare had been as much a factor in the solution as any other element of the compromise. Teg accepted this praise as one more symptom of the terrible powers which could be balanced so delicately where their interests conflicted. Everything such powers did was ultimately a pawn in some distant negotiation. All such matters could be interpreted as confrontations where the Sisterhood's aim was to prevent monopolies and manage prices.
As he disembarked from his lighter, Teg shook his head to clear his mind of old recollections. That was all ancient history, things which occurred before his retirement, before the ghola.
That entire passage is omitted in the US version!

I spent ages typing up the differences and as yet am still waiting for the fans to take it to the next level by talking about them in detail, any takers?
I've been getting requests for them regularly, coincidentally, I just sent them both to someone today!
Any plans to post the differences chapter by chapter in the reading group?
Definately.

I needed a break from the series after doing the summaries for all six books at once but It's about time I got back to it.
~Pink Snowman
Edric

Post by Edric »

That's great to hear Freak, I'm just waiting to get my teeth into CHD as that has the most differences!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:oops: I'm sorry to say that I have only just scaned through and looked at the major diferences. Some are very interesting. It's difficult for me to find time to read, I'm trying to get all the work off my desk so I can take a few days off. It's impossible for me to find a quite place to read at home. I've been cleaning up my man-cave in the basement. I've got AC, TV, PC, Dart Board (need darts), COLD BEER... If I only had a microwave, toilet and a sink I could live down there.

:P
~Pink Snowman
Edric

Post by Edric »

I've tried to make a start of pointing out some of the differences in the reading group, hope that helps to get things moving.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:If I only had a microwave, toilet and a sink I could live down there.

:P
Get an oven and a bucket and you're laughing. :)
Edric

Post by Edric »

Freakzilla wrote::oops: I'm sorry to say that I have only just scaned through and looked at the major diferences. Some are very interesting. It's difficult for me to find time to read,
Believe me you are missing a treat! Most of the differences are in Chapterhouse Dune but some of the stuff in Heretics of Dune are also interesting.
MattMahdi

Re:

Post by MattMahdi »

Edric wrote:I thought I'd just mention that I checked all six books of the series . . . Dune, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune had no differences between the UK & US editions.

I guess we all know about the differences between Heretics and Chapterhouse by now.

As for Dune Messiah the story was the same in both versions except for the begining. The UK version starts off with a couple of paragraphs of recap from Dune. The US version starts with a two page mini chapter called the "Death Cell Interview With Bronso of Ix."
Thank you, Edric. That's a question I'd had and I'm thankful I reread the thread before posting it. Good to know that it's only the last two books that have such differences.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure that the "Death Cell Interview" is actually based on what Frank's son had written in Winds....
MattMahdi

Re:

Post by MattMahdi »

Edric wrote:I have a request regarding the US versions of Heretics and Chapterhouse, could someone with a US copy of the novels go through the RED US only text and add Italics where required? once done could you send the updated copies to me?
And herein lies the interesting stuff. Edric, did anyone ever note the italics for you?

I've some OCD tendencies and, although I've had the files for a while, this is the first time I've chosen to read through them. I'm about halfway done with Heretics. As I go I'm noting a few questions I've had, a handful of typos.

And my biggest question is this: does the UK version really read "Muad'Dib"? Every US version of Heretics that I've consulted has "Muad'dib" instead.

At any rate, hoping for a chance to be helpful.