CH:D/HoD differences copy

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Re:

Post by SandChigger »

MattMahdi wrote:And by the way, I'm pretty sure that the "Death Cell Interview" is actually based on what Frank's son had written in Winds....
Say what the fuck?

How can something written in the 60s be "based on" something shat out by a hack squatting beside a forest path in 2008-9? :roll:

Did you mean to say instead that you believe that what is in Winds was based on the "Death Cell Interview"?
Last edited by SandChigger on 15 Aug 2009 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Re: CH:D/HoD differences copy

Post by TheDukester »

Same thought, but I wasn't sure how to approach it.

I'll keep it simple, I guess: please tell us you inadvertently got those two things reversed.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freak, can i get a copy sent to my e-mail please?
Many thanks in advance. :P
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Done
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Thank you, Thank you, thank you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
MattMahdi

Re: Re:

Post by MattMahdi »

SandChigger wrote:
MattMahdi wrote:And by the way, I'm pretty sure that the "Death Cell Interview" is actually based on what Frank's son had written in Winds....
How can something written in the 60s be "based on" something shat out by a hack squatting beside a forest path in 2008-9?

Did you mean to say instead that you believe that what is in Winds was based on the "Death Cell Interview"?
OUCH. Way to stir up controversy.

I haven't read Winds but it does have a great cover. Just browsed the Amazon reviews for fun....

And trust me I was kidding. I'd forgotten all about Bronso's "Death Cell Interview" because my copy doesn't have it. Which is strange. But one of the Winds reviews went off about Bronso and it seemed a good chance to play around.

FWIW, as far as that particular sandbox is concerned, I had hope for their conclusion. And I at least enjoyed everything of Hunters up to the final chapter. Well, aside from the fact that Duncan and Teg were pretty stupid where it was obvious that we probably had an impostor aboard. Maybe I'd better leave that sandbox alone after all....

Let's just leave this at the fact that it was only for a laugh.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK. :)
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

Can I get a copy sent to me too please?
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:Can I get a copy sent to me too please?
Sent
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

Thank you.
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
AzmureII

Post by AzmureII »

Sorry, I'm late to this party I know, but is it still possible to get those copies of HOD and CH:D that list all the differences between the US and UK editions?

I've only ever read the UK versions of HOD and CH:D but I recently purchased the whole set of US editions and was going to use them for my next reread. I had been told that there were slight differences, such as the opening prologue of HOD being left out of the US edition, but I didn't realise they were so major or widespread. These colour-coded versions sound like a fantastic resource.

On a related note, for those that have read both versions, which do you prefer and why? And did reading the different versions make you rethink anything or add anything to your enjoyment of them (or detract from it, as the case may be)?

Thanks.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you're not late to the party;
we encourage the resurrection of old threads like this one,
certainly in lieu of starting another thread on the same topic ...

the kids are just now getting to work, and diddling with whatever it is they diddle with in their cubicles;
Freakzilla should have already finished his daily diddling and is most likely at this moment in the break room,
getting coffee and stealing someone's lunch ... let him get back and get settled and check the 4chan Jailbait
page and he'll get around to it ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

AzmureII wrote:Sorry, I'm late to this party I know, but is it still possible to get those copies of HOD and CH:D that list all the differences between the US and UK editions?
You've got mail!
I've only ever read the UK versions of HOD and CH:D but I recently purchased the whole set of US editions and was going to use them for my next reread. I had been told that there were slight differences, such as the opening prologue of HOD being left out of the US edition, but I didn't realise they were so major or widespread. These colour-coded versions sound like a fantastic resource.

On a related note, for those that have read both versions, which do you prefer and why? And did reading the different versions make you rethink anything or add anything to your enjoyment of them (or detract from it, as the case may be)?

Thanks.
I plan on reading these composites in my next re-read of the series and making note of the differences in th Reading Group.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Some of the changes were fairly major, I found them pretty interesting to read.
AzmureII

Post by AzmureII »

Thanks a lot, Freak. I look forward to reading these.

It's interesting that there were such major changes between the US and UK editions for these two but not for the first four books (not including the deathcell interview/Weird of Dune thing in DM). I've heard about similar things happening in other books, but not any that I've read as often or know as well as HOD or CH:D.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I exist only to serve. :D
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

It's possible he had someone lazy working for him at that time who forgot to send the final drafts for those books to certain publishers, so either North America or UK ended up with a not-quite-final edit... I don't know, that's my best bet.
AzmureII

Post by AzmureII »

Well I've just read through the HoD differences, which weren't quite as major as I was expecting. In general it seemed to me that the UK version was a little more complete. The additional material just seemed to add a bit more richness and texture to the whole thing, especially things like the prologue and the passage about Teg's diffusing of the situation that threatened five planets with BG keeps and bases.

I don't think the small changes to Waff's reactions during his grilling by Taraza really made that much of difference to that scene, although the UK version is certainly more explicit about his intentions.

All in all, I definitely prefer the UK version. Perhaps it's just because I'm used to that version, but to me it just feels more complete.

Will get onto CH:D later today.

Thanks to Edric for all his painstaking work in creating these composite copies and making it easier for the rest of us to compare the differences.