Is Dune dead?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Mandy wrote:Dune isn't dead, but discussion forums are probably becoming a passing fad. I don't argue with preeks, and haven't tainted the original novels with P&tB's crap.. but it's hard to debate with people who think they know it all sometimes. I've noticed Dune fans can be nitpickers which sucks some of the fun out of discussions.
Yeah, and don't make a mistake. Because, you know you're the only one that's ever done that, according to the people on the internet :laughing:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tleilax Master B wrote:I've archived some of his stuff :wink:
Tleilax Master H?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

And now to add to everything said, the forums themselves are dissapearing. Remember Arrakeen? Remember the Official Dunenovels forum. Both dead. I'm glad I made the decision to join this forum.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh Guldur in his Sandy Heaven, SO AM I!

I personally do not know what I would do without your insightful comments.

:roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nebiros wrote:And now to add to everything said, the forums themselves are dissapearing. Remember Arrakeen? Remember the Official Dunenovels forum. Both dead. I'm glad I made the decision to join this forum.
Remember the Landsraad? That still exists, but the post count is only marginally above Arrakeen atm. And a few others I occasionally swing by ain't exactly buzzing either...

We're definately in a lull. The Movie might energise the fanbase in the same way the miniseries did, but this time around we don't have the optimism we had for the original prequels - the "still finding their feet" excuse is wearing very thin...

Yup.. definately a lull:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22Frank ... 2C+arrakis
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Ya, me neither. Good comic though.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

DuneFishUK wrote:Yup.. definately a lull:
Man, those Romanians love Frank Herbert.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

orald wrote:
Mandy wrote:lol.. Orald, you're one of the nitpickers!

I'd have never guessed you meant me... :roll:
Lighten up, I wasn't referring to you when I typed it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Yup.. definately a lull:
Man, those Romanians love Frank Herbert.
Ive noticed a lot of Rumanians on just about every Dune board I have been on.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:
orald wrote:
Mandy wrote:lol.. Orald, you're one of the nitpickers!

I'd have never guessed you meant me... :roll:
Lighten up, I wasn't referring to you when I typed it.
:roll: My original post was a tongue in cheek to yours, as in, I know I might be called a nitpicker etc(though frankly, I'm not sure I ever do nitpick much). Then the second post is to show you I did understand the possible irony in me saying o about nitpickers etc.

So you see, I know it all already. 8)

I never knew there was such a statistics search on Google, that looks cool.
Wonder what happens if I type in "sex"...you think I'll break Google? :P
Omphalos wrote:Ive noticed a lot of Rumanians on just about every Dune board I have been on.
Those damn Romanians are taking over Dune! :shock:

I'm half Romanian myself, mind you.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Which half?

No, let me guess!

The mouth, right? :P
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

My better half is Romanian ... weirdness.
Simon

Post by Simon »

As usual you guys are flipping out over nothing, rest assured that the classics are doing just fine and are still masterworks (well Dune - GEOD at any rate).

As to the authors of this thread's initial comments about fans of the new stuff being unable to hold a discussion in "defense"(?) of the new stuff....

What's there to defend? There are continuity errors, can't defend that. They aren't a paragraph by paragraph match for the 4 original books, no argument there. The only thing we differ on is that we preeks can over look imperfections and still derive enjoyment from BH and KJA's books.

They aren't bad. Not at all. Just not "Great Masterworks of Fiction".
I enjoy the "space opera, special effects extravaganza" aspect of the new stuff, it's not deep, but I don't see the harm you guys see.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. We'll see how PoD does sales wise come September and find out if BH and KJA really sunk the series the way many of you maintain they have...
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Simon wrote:I guess the proof is in the pudding. We'll see how PoD does sales wise come September and find out if BH and KJA really sunk the series the way many of you maintain they have...
Actually - there is some goodness in this point.

For the past 3 years the duo have been writing and releasing books aimed at existing and long-time fans, of which OHs probably make up a significant proportion. RTD, and the Dune 7s are not aimed at the 'new fan' target group they were so eager to please earlier on. So it makes sense that now is the time for new fans to be alienated and old fans to moan.

If they can recapture the atmosphere that surrounded House Atreides it will be a victory for them and go some way to supporting their arguments. However it's difficult not to be cynical that they are re-re-visiting Paul ... again. And then what? re-re-re-visiting Paul?

End of the day though - Dune didn't sell very well when it was first released... :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sales don't really prove anything. If they did, we would have to conclude that Kevin is a good writer.

He isn't.

"Overlooking imperfections" is one thing. Not even seeing them to begin with is another entirely.

Kevin reacted very strongly to the suggestion that he (and Brian) had dumbed down the books to appeal to a younger, stupider demographic. Which makes me think there is some truth in it.

Anyone who doesn't fight against the growing stupidity of our times is just helping it along. But don't mind me...enjoy your bread and circuses. :roll:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:But don't mind me...enjoy your bread and circuses. :roll:
And Lead pipesand insanity.
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote: Anyone who doesn't fight against the growing stupidity of our times is just helping it along.
Burn baby burn!!! :twisted:

Now lets get some MD: 20/20 and watch some reality T.V!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Pipesand?

Is that anything like drumsand? :P

(Reality TV....feh. Lazy producers catering to voyeuristic idiots.)
Simon

Post by Simon »

the fall of western civilization!

(it's sad and hilarious all at the same time)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It'll be much less amusing living under a Xian fundamentalist junta in a third-world country or under the dhimmitude established by the new World Caliphate, I'm sure. :wink:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If sales mean quality the the backstreet boys are the greatest musical genius's in history. They smashed sales for the Beatles, let alone the sales of the true masters of music; Jazz and Classical composers/musicians. That's like saying McDonalds is finer food than real restaraunts that actually make their food. I'm fine with people enjoying the prequils, there were even a couple scene's I didn't mind myself in the Legends series, but saying that sales reflect quality is bullshit.

The reality is that most people are of (or below, we've got a few high scorers dragging up the averages) average intelligence and average attention span and average attention to detail. By and Large, what do they want to read? Average or below average writing. Note: I'm not saying that everyone who enjoys sub par writing is automatically average or sub-average, just that people who are at or below average rarely appreciate the finer things.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Totally correct, sales do not equal quality, I was alluding to public interest in the franchise. I wasn't trying to debate quality with you gents, be it the new books or the readers they do or don't attract, I'm well versed in your views on these subjects. :wink:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I agree that bringing more people to Dune is good, I don't beleive that ends justify the means however. I know that you know my stance on that though, so I'll call it a day on this subject for the time being.