Is Dune dead?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Secher Nbiw

Is Dune dead?

Post by Secher Nbiw »

I've been on the internet for ages, and I've visited many message boards. I hung out on House Atreides for quite some time. I remember being excited when the first prequel novel was announced, it sparked my interest in Dune again.

But lately everything has gone to hell.

The prequels were dissapointments, and the whole franchise is being milked like a gay fetish flick.

There used to be an online community that actually discussed the novels, the themes, the plots and the characters. It was a small community but pretty loyal and energetic.

Pinky and the Brain killed the Dune-franchise for me, I can't get as much fun from it anymore as I once did. Everything's been shot to hell on that front, with mindless drivel directed at an audience that is too retarded to form a decent coherent argument.

And the online community has splintered. Everybody is bitching and moaning about everybody. And I'm no different with this post. It's become impossible to play nice anymore, because every side has dug its heels into the ground, too stubborn to budge, too convinced to have any sort of discussion.

So what's left?

Groups getting smaller and smaller, the gaps increasing between different factions, people going on personal crusades against the people they considered friends at one point?

The reason why I stayed the hell away from Dune these last couple of months was because it's become a source of frustration. I don't like that.
orald

Re: Is Dune dead?

Post by orald »

Secher Nbiw wrote:It's become impossible to play nice anymore, because every side has dug its heels into the ground, too stubborn to budge, too convinced to have any sort of discussion.

So what's left?

Groups getting smaller and smaller, the gaps increasing between different factions, people going on personal crusades against the people they considered friends at one point?
What do you mean by "sides"? There's only one side.
Whoever was a Dune fan before is on that side, so there're no quarrels among friends regarding that sack of shit that P&B dug out of their sewage.

Really, do you know any self-respecting Dune fan that ever claimed they weren't shit incarnate?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Shit can't be incarnate. Incarnate means something without physical form becoming physical :P

That said, you should play an mmo or two. The amount of dune related names is staggering.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Good Dune is dying, and getting more and more so every day. Each time some kid picks up a new Dune book (and let's not fool ourselves, its happening more and more) FH's vision erodes by just a skosh more. Those new books are so insidious that even I, who fucking hates them, gets hung up by ideas in them. Ill be having a conversation and Ill says something stupid like "artificial spice," or "Erasmus" or something like that.

God, I truly hope that there is a mini-renaissance of some sort in the next twenty years or so, where all of the mediocre crappola that this last decade has produced is whiped away and society restarts itself with the good things. Shit like "The New Dune" and Britney Spears and American-made sedans are just swept under the table, as if they never happened.

I know. I'm dreaming.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

We could bring about such rebirth and change.
All we need is a a single A-bomb in the right place. :wink:

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

orald wrote:We could bring about such rebirth and change.
All we need is a a single A-bomb in the right place. :wink:
Israel? :D
orald

Post by orald »

While Jerusalem is potentially a good place to start, I do believe that rock thingy in Saudi-Arabia the muslims worship would be an even faster catalyst.
That or Washington DC.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:That or Washington DC.
Yea, right. Its my home and I dont think I would care too much. :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Secher Nbiw! Welcome back!

I don't know if everybody is "bitching and moaning about everybody"...I'm still pretty focused! :D

Kevin, the HLP, Brian (a little, but he's such a non-combatant—no Web presence, crappy writer—that it's hardly worth the effort), KJA fanboys, and that cow Hyppo...a select group of deserving targets!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Oh yea! How rude of me! Hello again Secher Nbiw!

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nice to meet you. I think that I'm proof that Dune is at least still on life support. When I picked up Dune for the first time Hunters was already out. I was smart enough to start with the original 6 though.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

The problem is Dune shouldn't be some popular entertainment staple on the tip of everyone's tongue. That's the whole problem with this HLP bullshit about "keeping Dune in the public eye". Dune should be a treasured gem, a timeless classic that is discovered in high school/college/uni over and over again by each new generation. And when it becomes a major popular culture event, it should be when a renaissance occurs or a proper, faithful film adaptation of the book is being produced. Much like Lord of the Rings, which was way off the radar and then once the movies came out, it exploded again.

Point being, Dune shouldn't be some pathetic pimped product to feed the insatiable appetite of vapid consumer culture. Dune is something that should endure beyond the 15 minutes of fame until it bubbles up every 5 to 10 years with a major re-release, a literary rediscovery or a legitimate, passionate adaptation. That's how things used to work when people actually put thought into their purchases and treasured originality rather than championing mediocrity.

As for the fandom, it's in shambles and ironically the blame for that is not as easy as pointing fingers. I mean so much time is spent complaining about the prequels and shit-slinging, even if legitimate Dune talk is taking place, it's drowned in a sea of endless controversy about the lousy prequels. We've got the HLP on one side shilling mediocre crap and most fandoms complaining about it. First rule of being noticed is being mentioned and mentions of Dune have now become synonymous with prequels crap. It's just sad and I can understand why the fandom is shrinking.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 27 May 2008 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Hey Secher, glad you made it. At least to vent a little :P

I went through the same realization a few months back. A prolonged break from the seemingly endless debating with preeks was just what the doctor ordered to revive at least some of my interest in Dune.

I don't know that Dune is dead. But its on life support and it's prognosis isn't real good from where I'm standing.....
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Say who now?

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hello Secher Nbiw.

No, Dune isn't dead, I think there was just a lot of bad feeling around last year with what went on at Dunenovels, which was made even worse by that demented admin at Arrakeen. I think a lot of people just lost interest or were very disillusioned by what had gone on. I started reading Frank's books again this year and was reminded why I joined a Dune forum in the first place. It seemed at one point that the utter crap going down online was distracting too much from Dune, but now the last vestiges of that shit have been suspended from here, hopefully things will settle down again.

Psst, Orald, now there are three of us. This place is going to EXPLODE in a shower of sequins and glitter any day.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Tleilax Master B

Pardot Kynes wrote:Say who now?
Huh? Secher Nbiw started this thread. I was responding to him.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Dune isn't dead, but discussion forums are probably becoming a passing fad. I don't argue with preeks, and haven't tainted the original novels with P&tB's crap.. but it's hard to debate with people who think they know it all sometimes. I've noticed Dune fans can be nitpickers which sucks some of the fun out of discussions.
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:but it's hard to debate with people who think they know it all sometimes. I've noticed Dune fans can be nitpickers which sucks some of the fun out of discussions.
Yea! :(

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:Dune isn't dead, but discussion forums are probably becoming a passing fad. I don't argue with preeks, and haven't tainted the original novels with P&tB's crap.. but it's hard to debate with people who think they know it all sometimes. I've noticed Dune fans can be nitpickers which sucks some of the fun out of discussions.
This is the internet. Everyone is like that.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Pardot Kynes wrote:Say who now?
Huh? Secher Nbiw started this thread. I was responding to him.

I don't know who he is :P

-Julius Caesar

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

lol.. Orald, you're one of the nitpickers!

and no.. not everyone on the internet it like that, but I have noticed that sci fi fans in general are a bit anal.
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:lol.. Orald, you're one of the nitpickers!

I'd have never guessed you meant me... :roll:

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

and no.. not everyone on the internet it like that, but I have noticed that sci fi fans in general are a bit anal.
Eh? No, I don't like anal! What?

:oops:

-Julius Caesar

Tleilax Master B

Pardot Kynes wrote:

Eh? No, I don't like anal! What?

:oops:
Suuuurrreeee you don't :wink: SN was a great OHer on the "official" site and posted some very insightful and accurate critiques of the "new canon." I've archived some of his stuff :wink:

I'm glad that sourpuss made it over here :P
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Aye, then welcome!

As long as he's not one of them confunded prequelite whores.

-Julius Caesar