Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Timeline

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

orald

Post by orald »

Sorry, I can't hear the tune over the scraping the knife stuck in my back is making on my bones. :?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

^^ Uh huh. Anywhoooooooo.....

Back on topic. I'm actually not a big fan of entries in timeliness that have the date as "??????" Seems kind of pointless to add these events if you don't have the time it occurred. A timeline without the time is, well, just a line I suppose :?

for my personal version of this, I will probably delete entries like:

???? B.G.
Following the Second Interspace Migrations, the Jews hide their identity from the non-Jews.
[Chapterhouse: Dune]

Since there is no time reference. But, as I stated before, give my thanks to Edric for doing the work on it!!
Last edited by Tleilax Master B on 22 May 2008 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Tleilax Master B wrote:^^ Uh huh. Anywhoooooooo.....

Back on topic. I'm actually not a big fan of entries in timeliness that have the date as "??????" Seems kind of pointless to add these events if you don't have the time it occurred. A timeline without the time is, well, just a line I suppose :?

???? B.G.
Following the Second Interspace Migrations, the Jews hide their identity from the non-Jews.

Since there is no time reference. But, as I stated before, give my thanks Edric for doing the work on it!!
But for those of us that have not read the entire series(and are a little lazy) it reads like an outline, interesting me in the material and things missed in my perusal of Dune. :D
Tleilax Master B

fantomas wrote:

???? B.G.

Since there is no time reference. But, as I stated before, give my thanks Edric for doing the work on it!!
But for those of us that have not read the entire series(and are a little lazy) it reads like an outline, interesting me in the material and things missed in my perusal of Dune. :D
Well, if you are that lazy, just read this:

:wink:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Is that Robbie the Robot? WTF?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:Is that Robbie the Robot? WTF?
Hehe, beats me. Maybe the machine used for combat training?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

THAT'S IT! THAT MUST BE WHAT KEVIN AND BRIAN USED!!! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Has anyone read that? Does the "Other Works" bit refer to other Dune books, or his entire oevure? Even if, I dont recall Robby popping up in any of Herbert's other works. :lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:Has anyone read that? Does the "Other Works" bit refer to other Dune books, or his entire oevure? Even if, I dont recall Robby popping up in any of Herbert's other works. :lol:
I searched on line and found this Omph:
This concise supplement to Dune and other works by Frank Herbert helps students understand the overall structure of the novel, actions and motivations of the characters, and the social and cultural perspectives of the author.
This volume also covers Dune Messiah, The Godmakers, Under Pressure, Destination: Void, The Eyes of Heinenberg, The Green Brain, The Santaroga Barrier, Whipping Star, and Hellstom's Hive
You can download the ebook here for 5.99:

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_displ ... IID=129913
orald

Post by orald »

I disagree, TMB, a dateless entry can still be useful to show between what events it happened, i.e the chronological order.
But I do agree we need to change that specific entry a bit. Something like:
???? B.G.
Following the Second Interspace Migrations, the Jews hide their identity from the evil, baby-eating infidels.
Much better this way. :)

Tleilax Master B

orald wrote:I disagree, TMB, a dateless entry can still be useful to show between what events it happened, i.e the chronological order.
But I do agree we need to change that specific entry a bit. Something like:
???? B.G.
Following the Second Interspace Migrations, the Jews hide their identity from the evil, baby-eating infidels.
Much better this way. :)
:evil: And BTW, you aren't allowed to disagree with me powindah scum! :twisted:
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
fantomas wrote:

???? B.G.

Where do I get a copy? Is this a joke?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

How about if we gave a range of dates in parenthesis after the ?????s? ;)

Narrowed down as much as possible, of course:

?? (88 B.G. ~ 1 A.G.) The C.E.T. convenes....

I see both sides of the question, though. Many important events in Duniverse history were not given a specific date by FH. Too many "????" in the timeline (as in what Dr Torkos has given us, not to downplay his efforts, of course) isn't very interesting and makes me think the creator of the timeline was afraid to speculate.

On the other hand, a timeline with only events for which we can determine an exact date would be fairly sparse, no? :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

That creates the impression that it took as long as the range for what is described to happen, not that it happened sometime within the range.

We should mark it with the range, then "date uncertain" or something to differentiate.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Omphalos wrote:That creates the impression that it took as long as the range for what is described to happen, not that it happened sometime within the range.

We should mark it with the range, then "date uncertain" or something to differentiate.
Disco!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

fantomas wrote:
Omphalos wrote:That creates the impression that it took as long as the range for what is described to happen, not that it happened sometime within the range.

Disco!
Sometimes, I just dont get you. :(

Goodnight Golden Path!
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Omphalos wrote:
fantomas wrote:

Disco!
Sometimes, I just dont get you. :(
I meant, you are right!

disco is from Pulp Fiction, when Uma asks something i think, she got the correct answer, she said 'Disco"

Your suggestion to SC about the dates is a very good one!

The Hustle was a good tune! :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ah! Gameplayer would have gotten that one.

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:Sometimes, I just dont get you. :(
Just sometimes? :roll:

And yes, an "only certain dates" timeline would be concluded in about half a dozen entries, wouldn't it?

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

For such reason are keys created.... ;)

TIMELINE CONVENTIONS:

?? (88 B.G. ~ 1 A.G.) = The date for this event is uncertain, but thought to have occurred sometime between the parenthetical dates.

201 ~ 108 B.G. = The event took place between the dates indicated.

?11000 ~ ?8000 B.G. = The event (change, development) is thought to have taken place over the period between the dates indicated, which are speculative.

Something like that, perhaps?

People using a resource need to first familiarize themselves with any conventions used in it. I see no reason to cater to or coddle those who can't be bothered.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Duuuuuh. OK!

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:People using a resource need to first familiarize themselves with any conventions used in it. I see no reason to cater to or coddle those who can't be bothered.
So the preeks don't read Dune because of the appendixes? :o

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

fantomas wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
fantomas wrote:

???? B.G.

AWESOME NEW SITE!!! I can't believe it's so wonderful! I'll never be the same!
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Nekhrun wrote:
fantomas wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
fantomas wrote:

???? B.G.

AWESOME NEW SITE!!! I can't believe it's so wonderful! I'll never be the same!
Not available but I carted Dreamer of Dune.

8)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Fantomas wanted some Cliff's Notes
They have used copies. Two years ago I bought an ebook version of it from said website.