What DIDN'T you like in the original 6?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

waff

Post by waff »

The parts where Leto shares important information are interesting, but the love life of a God Emperor... I just got the CD audiobook of that novel, so I am curious to see how they dramatize Hwi.

Let's see, I love most of HoD, but do find myself chuckling a bit when I read the Miles Teg's Guide to Carbo-Loading Cafes on Gammu section. He needs a restaurant show on the Food Network.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I have a bunch of WAV files I downloaded of someone reading GEoD. It's terrible.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Robspierre wrote:He just got back from Hawaii nd is suppose to get me some pics, he knows they are for Cl, so we'll see if he keeps his word.
:shock:

"Hey, can I have some pix of you without your shirt on...and preferably wearing skimpy speedos. They're for a gay guy I know in the UK."

:shock:

OK...I'm sure that's not how it really, um, went down, but...dayum, Robbo. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I have a bunch of WAV files I downloaded of someone reading GEoD. It's terrible.
what is that site where those are? Freevox or something?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I have a bunch of WAV files I downloaded of someone reading GEoD. It's terrible.
what is that site where those are? Freevox or something?
No, I found them on Bearshare, before they went legit. It really pissed me off when they went all legal on me, I had just renewed my membership for a year.
:x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Actually I think the one Im thinking of is Librivox, but now that I think of it, they are all legal too. :cry:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Bittorrent for the win?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:Bittorrent for the win?
I've been looking for a new file share program... well, I haven't really been looking, I want one.

Why do you like BT and what others have you tried?
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:
I've been looking for a new file share program... well, I haven't really been looking, I want one.

I've tried various P2P clients over the years, but most of them are really limited. Things like Limewire, WinMX, Napster(before it went legal) are limited to a P2P network.

Bittorrent is neat because with just a bittorrent client(there are a lot of them out there), you can download things all over the internet. It's a protocol, not a network of users, so it's more like downloading random files from around the internet, only more useful and focused. I'm not explaining this very well.

The wikipedia article is probably more helpful in describing it than I am.

Plus, there are several sites out there that are dedicated to hosting torrents, so it's not that hard to find just about anything you want.

A good place to start is the Pirate Bay. There's a really good selection of torrents there that's pretty easy to search.

Bittorrent is also nice because the protocol and almost all of the clients are open source, so it's completely free. I think a few torrent hosting sites might charge, but it's usually pretty easy to find an alternative source.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks, P.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I exist only to serve.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:

Isohunt.com
this site indexs loads of BT trackers, You just have you head on and as always, be wary of malware and viruses in anything you download.

Utorrent
This is the best client out there. It can be tricky to setup mainly because you don't install it. Make a folder off C/ (utorrent), Copy the .exe to it, make a shortcut to launch it and your off, and as always remember to seed to 1:1.
orald

Post by orald »

I use EMule for the few downloads I make, but I'm not too savvy.

Edit: How do I actually use torrents? I've looked at Pirate Bay and searched for something, the actual file to d/l(the torrent?) is just 54k...what do I do after? Do I need to d/l some program for it to work?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I use Bit Torrent myself and have a ball getting all the TV shows which aren't broadcast here on cable.

The installation is as easy as it can get and via either ThePirateBay or www.mininova.org I almost always find what I need.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
orald

Post by orald »

Thank, I'll try it later on when I've got a bit more of my brain working.

I was so out of focus for most of my shift today, it's a miracle I actually came out with a nice plus in my end-shift calculations, no accident, missing stuff etc.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
waff

Post by waff »

I stumbled upon some mp3 audiobooks on Rapidfind.org (a forum to find files on Rapdishare) in their audiobook thread. They even have the House books! :lol: Woo hoo.... or whatever! :?

I think they are the old Books on Tape cassette recordings.
Smiley

Re: What DIDN'T you like in the original 6?

Post by Smiley »

I was actually disappointed that the Preacher turned out to be Paul on the first read. Yes, I know the book practically beats you in the head with this before he meets his son, but I was hoping for some reason it would be someone different.

I also disliked Alia getting possessed. It really seems like he was going to interesting places with her and then just dropped them.
lotek

Post by lotek »

The Preacher was there for people like me who did look up to Paul after his victory/revenge, and to me it was necessary to destroy the hero image. And who better to do that than the hero himself.

And Alia's possession I found extremely cool, just for the fact the Baron was back at the very least ^^
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

lotek wrote:The Preacher was there for people like me who did look up to Paul after his victory/revenge, and to me it was necessary to destroy the hero image. And who better to do that than the hero himself.

And Alia's possession I found extremely cool, just for the fact the Baron was back at the very least ^^
Same here.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

lotek wrote:The Preacher was there for people like me who did look up to Paul after his victory/revenge, and to me it was necessary to destroy the hero image. And who better to do that than the hero himself.

Even though he did many a bad thing after his victory of the Harkonnens, and even though he got killed by Alia's guards in an unheroic fashion, I still regard him as a hero.

I think I'll one day end up living as a blind man in the desert like him, shouting ravings about the worms and the desert claiming the Earth.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

As for the Preacher, I totally agree. Just was not fond of it on the first read. That's all.

I was thinking that Frank had made a very fascination character with Alia, how she was in the first two books. And I suppose it was meant to be tragic and for me not to like.

One other thing that always bugged me about Dune, though was only Paul seemed to have a secret name. Usul. No one else seemed to have one. Chani had pet names that Paul would call her, and all the Fremen knew the name Liet.

Personally, I like to think Stilgar's secret name was Binky.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

1.) I don't like the Bene Gesserit. I didn't like them in Dune, DM, or CoD, the books in which they apparently were in an antagonistic role. And I still didn't like them in HoD or CH:D, even though they were the protagonists. I think Miles Teg said it best when he told Darwi Odrade that she "... wasn't really human" and Leto II in his spice horde message when he said all the Order's powers were for nothing if they didn't change.

I'm also unsure how the Bene Gesserit were to fit into the Dune universe post-Ch:D. According to the Norman Spinrad interview, Frank was going to finish the series with a transition from feudalism into a more democratic system. The Bene Gesserit wouldn't fit into a democratic structure, IMO. Maybe Frank had something cool planned that I'm unaware of, like the Bene Gesserit sharing their secrets with humanity instead of hording them so they could rule from the shadows?

2.) I thought the sexual imprinting in HoD and CH:D was kind of ridiculous. I still really enjoy those books, though.

3.) I also didn't like how Jessica abandoned Alia, basically leaving her to rule the Imperium alone. To me, Jessica seemed like an unsympathetic character in CoD.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Frybread wrote:1.) I don't like the Bene Gesserit. I didn't like them in Dune, DM, or CoD, the books in which they apparently were in an antagonistic role. And I still didn't like them in HoD or CH:D, even though they were the protagonists. I think Miles Teg said it best when he told Darwi Odrade that she "... wasn't really human" and Leto II in his spice horde message when he said all the Order's powers were for nothing if they didn't change.
Not that this will make you like them better, but I'd like to suggest that the BG are meant to be an example of a group that thinks they are well-intentioned but that have a fatal flaw: they want to control the future. They think their ability to control the future will give them the ability to improve things for others (so they claim), but they spent millennia under a delusion that it took Paul a very short time to figure out - that having centralized power for the purpose of controlling the future is simply a trap that prevents you changing and locks you down. I think FH meant them to be an example of the thinking of people who believe they need to control others for noble purposes; they end up only helping themselves. Leto II showed that the only way power can have a noble end is to use it to end the ability for future people to have that same power. I think the BG are meant to be 'so close' to being a worthy group, but their one stumbling block is the ultimate stumbling block, which is why when Jessica goes back to them after Dune she seems somehow less human.
I'm also unsure how the Bene Gesserit were to fit into the Dune universe post-Ch:D. According to the Norman Spinrad interview, Frank was going to finish the series with a transition from feudalism into a more democratic system. The Bene Gesserit wouldn't fit into a democratic structure, IMO. Maybe Frank had something cool planned that I'm unaware of, like the Bene Gesserit sharing their secrets with humanity instead of hording them so they could rule from the shadows?
I think you're right that they were going to have to change their ways in order to stop being just another faction. It seems like that was already beginning to happen in the last two books, as we see some BG that are quite colorful compared to what we had before. I'd say Odrade is probably a 'next-level' BG in terms of changing their ways, and who knows where they could go from there.
3.) I also didn't like how Jessica abandoned Alia, basically leaving her to rule the Imperium alone. To me, Jessica seemed like an unsympathetic character in CoD.
I suspect this is intentional, as we're meant to see how different she was than the rest of the BG when she left them for Leto, compared to now when he's gone and she's back with them. She's almost a different person, which, I think, is supposed to illustrate just how powerful a force love can be even for someone with BG deep training.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Speaking of the post-Chapterhouse Duniverse, I was just reading CH:D and FH refered to all of the different organizations within the BG as "denominations".

What if the BG secrets do become public in the future, but in the form of a religion? :shock:
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Freakzilla wrote:Speaking of the post-Chapterhouse Duniverse, I was just reading CH:D and FH refered to all of the different organizations within the BG as "denominations".

What if the BG secrets do become public in the future, but in the form of a religion? :shock:
I do wonder if the BG would have done something like sharing their training with the public? Maybe religion would be the easiest and fastest way to do so at first?