The HLP: many are HERBERTS

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

orald wrote:And I just went ahead and quoted the best pirate in thw world. After Maddox, of course(sorry, been watching those movies lately). :P

If you care to define the categories, anyone is part of any number of minorities.

Now more to the point, I think you guys have been pressuring Byron too much. How much say do you think he actually got about what Brian does anyway? Maybe he's legally bound not to talk about the HLP business, and maybe he's also reluctant to bash a relative.
Um, no.
He has avoided far more, which IF everything they claim were true, then there would be no need for the fifth amendment routine.

Now more to the point.
There is still hope for ya Orald if size is an issue. Study Feldenkrais :wink:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

So exactly wtf is The Herbert Limited Partnership? I mean, I know what it is,
but what's its official legal description? I'm assuming it's a legal and binding
business arrangement. Would it or any of it's details be a matter of public
record?
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, as I assume it is some sort of legal person, there should be some information about it which is a matter of public record. In the state of Washington, I also assume. I did a little nosing around online last year but didn't turn up anything interesting. Anyway, the point is that Byron isn't the only possible source of information.

And while he may choose not to discuss the organization or its doings, that doesn't mean we can't.

In the meantime, this is kinda interesting, from a Time interview (Nov 10, 1999):
Brian Herbert: The Dune computer game is a spin-off of the 1984 Universal Pictures movie Dune. I am a managing general partner of the Herbert Limited Partnership, which holds the copyrights to Frank Herbert's works. We had nothing to do with the Dune computer games. We understand that it is very popular, but we do not think that it is close enough to Dune itself.
So Brian is a managing general partner. (Indefinite article "a": indicates possible existence of at least one more.)

The part I have underlined is especially rich, all things considered, no? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh and by the way: stop stealing my bandwidth or I'm gonna sue yer butt. :twisted:

(I'm kidding! :D )
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

SandChigger wrote:
HoosierDaddy wrote:Most posters here are mature, intelligent people. If someone is being unfairly abused, we will police ourselves.

STOP FEEDING THE PIG

:lol:

There's something about the juxtapositioning of comment and imagery there....
WHO PHOTOSHOPPED MY PIG?? AND WHY CAN'T I STOP LAUGHING??

:lol:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Partnerships don't file the same financial and organisational information as corporations. The main reason a business is organised as a partnership is to keep the internal organisational and financial information private. Limited partnerships just mean that most of the partners limit their liability for the partnership's debts, unlike an ordinary partnership where the partners have unlimited personal liability for the debts of the firm. There are tax advantages as well, as profits are only taxed once on the partner's income, rather than the double taxation that happens with corporations with the profits being taxed to the corporation and also to the shareholders' dividends.

I'm not an expert in US law, but from what I understand the HLP could file a certificate of limited partnership in any state and would be recognised and be able to do business throughout the US. The HLP's filing doesn't necessarily need to be in Washington, although I suppose it would make sense to do so. Maybe there are tax advantages by making the filing in certain states.

As for what is happening in this thread, it's a shame it came to this, as I always liked Byron, but sending that PM to Sandchigger with the not-very-veiled threat of legal action is just over the top. It's an internet chatroom, if you don't like what's happening and being said, stop visiting. It's not like Sandchigger is camping outside Byron's house and daubing insulting graffiti on his door.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, I've turned up a bit more info than I was able to before.

I now know, for example, that the original registration of the HLP in Washington, filled in June 1984, is now listed as inactive, although there is a State Department of Revenue database record for an account opened in January 1998.

There's no listing of members online, but according to Washington state law, a list of the general (=full) and limited (=junior) partners must be kept by the partnership's registered agent.

The specific rights of the limited members (one of which I assume is our friend here) are supposedly set forth in a partnership agreement, so there's no way of telling how things are set up or run inside the HLP unless that agreement is also a matter of public record. And that is that.

So it's entirely possible that Byron and the other limited members have no say in what the general members, particularly Brian, decide to do; no voting rights whatsoever. Other than that which is available to almost everyone:

The right to vote with your feet. ;)
orald

Post by orald »

CL wrote:It's not like Sandchigger is camping outside Byron's house and daubing insulting graffiti on his door.
Now don't give him any more ideas. :o
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

Brian, Kevin & Byron
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

orald wrote:
CL wrote:It's not like Sandchigger is camping outside Byron's house and daubing insulting graffiti on his door.
Now don't give him any more ideas. :o
We need a smiley of KJA pulling a tick off of himself.
orald

Post by orald »

Or pulling novels out of his ass...

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

We need one of Herbert rolling out of his coffin, standing up, and yelling at Brian.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:We need one of Herbert rolling out of his coffin, standing up, and yelling at Brian.
Then Brian bending his animated corpse over a rail......

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And Kevin cozying up behind him.

(What do you call that again?)

That was kind of the original design I had in mind for a Pail of Dung cover....
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Every time I read the title of this thread I think.. The HLP: Many are SHERBETS. Just thought I'd get that off my chest :P
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:Every time I read the title of this thread I think.. The HLP: Many are SHERBETS.
Orange sherbets? :P

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Mandy wrote:Every time I read the title of this thread I think.. The HLP: Many are SHERBETS. Just thought I'd get that off my chest :P
There are other things we'd like to see come off your chest :twisted:

Wait.. did I say that out loud?

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

orald

Post by orald »

Hear hear! :D

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Mandy wrote:Every time I read the title of this thread I think.. The HLP: Many are SHERBETS. Just thought I'd get that off my chest :P
That's pretty much how my mind works too.
Orald, yes orange sherbet my friend, orange it shall be. Well I'm out, have to go buy sherb... books, I mean books.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Maybe in this case it'd be rainbow sherbet.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Rocky road!

-Julius Caesar

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Mandy wrote:Maybe in this case it'd be rainbow sherbet.
Yes, that'd probably be a bit more apropriate. Except for me. I get orange, no rainbows here.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I just looked at KJA's myspace page and for a split second thought that his Hellhole blog read: Smellhole.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I CAN'T WAIT for Stephen Youll to get his magical artistic fingers on that one! :twisted:
orald

Post by orald »

You should try though. :wink: