The HLP: many are HERBERTS

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Oh my, this is too rich! :lol: :lol: :lol:

First, the poo-poo defense on Arrakeen.

(I specifically pointed out in a post on Arrakken the hyprocisy of his statement that the OH's didn't want to discuss the issues, when he had just finished a pogrom of post deletions and banning members to which he responded by not responding except that I was a poo-poo.)

Now, the cyperstalker defense!
Byron wrote:Hi Freak. The above link is an example of laws being passed in light of such online activities. I don’t want to sound like I’m whining, but this has got to stop somehow, somewhere, before it gets out of hand. Thanks for listening.
Before it gets out of hand...?

Um, putting other legal implications aside for the moment, before what gets out of hand, the general public becomes aware of the marketing fraud behind the new books?

Well, thanks Byron for responding to the name calling and so dramatically validating Loremaster's earlier post:
Byron wrote:Don't know how many times I need to say this; guess it still hasn't sunk in, so I'll repeat it here
loremaster wrote:I have to admit, Byron never seems to respond to a single valid criticism, preferring to jump on the several posts which instead can be answered (usually by squealing "Flame Bait", or crying to Mods, or similar).

WITHOUT (and this is important) noticing that the only reason flame-baiting occurs (and all the general hilarity of the insults) is because he doesn't answer the legit posts.
Last edited by Mr. Teg on 18 May 2008 02:03, edited 5 times in total.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

I really want to know what is considered a "personal attack" here.

One other comment. PM complaints to the mods here are immature cowards IMO. If you don't have the courage to post openly with a complaint/problem/whine/insult/etc, we are no better here than Arrakeen.

Most posters here are mature, intelligent people. If someone is being unfairly abused, we will police ourselves.

:endrant
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

HoosierDaddy wrote:Most posters here are mature, intelligent people. If someone is being unfairly abused, we will police ourselves.

STOP FEEDING THE PIG

:lol:

There's something about the juxtapositioning of comment and imagery there....
Last edited by SandChigger on 18 May 2008 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Blindfold by KJA is listed as #9 on his list.

No, I'm not going to rip on it. It's a personal list so I don't care one way or the other, but I think it does finally answer the old question about Byron's stance regarding the new books and Kevin.

If THAT book is number nine on his list, it is safe to say at this point Byron does support and endorse Kevin's writing style and the new Dune books.
CHOAM
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Spice Grandson wrote:
...but somehow I doubt it will.
bryanvdk wrote: i think that means that he's blackmailing them and part of the deal is they can't discuss HLP matters...
:roll: I must be prescient.
Do you think this little exchange somehow disproves my earlier criticism? Infact it just reinforces it.

You answered the post you could answer. And now it appears you're crying another defence.... Legal Action.

Isn't Omph something vaguely legal? I really cannot wait to see what he makes of this. I suspect, having googled UK Protection From Harrassment Act 1997, Malicious Communications Act 1998 and some common Case Law from the UK then, should United States Law be similar, harrassment:

a)does not apply to business. Criticisms of companies, (such as the HLP) as well as organisations, charities and political groups are not covered by this act.

b) does not mean criticisms which are valid. An example might be someone who fraudulently claims to have or know something and is repeatedly rebuked on forums etc.

c)can be avoided, and the harrassed must have taken some simple precautions in order to avoid harrassment (Again, I suspect joining a forum which was set up to criticise your own and your employers views might not fall into this category).

Indeed, i think YOU have chosen to join both Arrakeen AND Jacuturutututututu after chigger, Are you sure you're not harrassing HIM?
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
orald

Post by orald »

HoosierDaddy wrote:I really want to know what is considered a "personal attack" here.
Umm...pussy pussy pussy? :roll:

Can we sue KJA for harassing, molesting and raping Dune, and Brian too for being a knowing observer at the least, and not informing the law authorities?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

"Your Honor, have you read all of the Dune books? I rest my case."

"I rule in favor of the plaintiff."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

HoosierDaddy wrote:I really want to know what is considered a "personal attack" here.
Name calling, insults of a personal nature, that kind of thing.
One other comment. PM complaints to the mods here are immature cowards IMO. If you don't have the courage to post openly with a complaint/problem/whine/insult/etc, we are no better here than Arrakeen.

Most posters here are mature, intelligent people. If someone is being unfairly abused, we will police ourselves.

:endrant
I prefer members to try to work things out on their own and contact the staff as a last resort.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

loremaster wrote:...harrassment:

a)does not apply to business. Criticisms of companies, (such as the HLP) as well as organisations, charities and political groups are not covered by this act.

b) does not mean criticisms which are valid. An example might be someone who fraudulently claims to have or know something and is repeatedly rebuked on forums etc.

c)can be avoided, and the harrassed must have taken some simple precautions in order to avoid harrassment (Again, I suspect joining a forum which was set up to criticise your own and your employers views might not fall into this category).

Indeed, i think YOU have chosen to join both Arrakeen AND Jacuturutututututu after chigger, Are you sure you're not harrassing HIM?
I have no problems with any of those points.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

orald wrote:
Umm...pussy pussy pussy? :roll:
The third time is a charm :wink:
CHOAM
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

HoosierDaddy wrote:

STOP FEEDING THE PIG

:lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

There's not a judge or jury in the world that would put Chig in jail or find any civil liability for hurting old Spice Grandson's widdle feewings. I love how Byron comes here and claims he's being stalked.

And if this is a proxy by KJA, I love that he can't say it himself, and I love that Byron seems to dense to articulate that.

I tell you what, Byron is lucky that Freak is so even-keeled. If that had happened at T(A)U, I would know exactly how to solve the problem. As in, Toodeeloo, you litigious bastard!

And finally, I think that Chig is exercising the better side of valor and backing off. It just shows that he is really not intending to "stalk" or hurt Byron because he obviously can back down when Byron fails to man up. Oh! Sorry if that is not sufficient legalese for anyone. What I mean by "fail to man up" is "interact in ordinary on-line society." Kudos to you, Chig!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

Omphalos wrote: And finally, I think that Chig is exercising the better side of valor and backing off. It just shows that he is really not intending to "stalk" or hurt Byron because he obviously can back down when Byron fails to man up. Oh! Sorry if that is not sufficient legalese for anyone. What I mean by "fail to man up" is "interact in ordinary on-line society." Kudos to you, Chig!
I second that, i dont think i`d let go if someone sent a pm to me such as can be found on your website (which, by the way, i fully applaud, I know it is a PM, but the idea of some "sacrosanct" PM where you are forbidden to disclose anything within it even when it hurts yourself is, IMO, ludicrous).

Much applause.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. :roll: You can't follow the OH around to their forums and then claim they are stalking you. Threatening legal action is one of the few things I think a person should be banned for.
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

No doubt byron will try to pretend he hasn't threatened legal action... But having read the (presumably unedited) copy of the PM on Hairy Ticks, i think the threat is implicit enough. I would suggest everyone view the PM at hairy ticks, however, before commenting.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I have been following this like rubbernecking through an accident scene. I
can only surmise that criticism of the HLP must be attaining new heights and
be coming from quarters heretofore unseen. To think that a relatively small
but vocal minority of Dune fans have caused a fringe member of the HLP to
threaten legal action is beyond belief.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

The poop must flow! :)
orald

Post by orald »

Oi there, who you be callin' small and minority? :x

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:Oi there, who you be callin' small and minority? :x
I think that would apply to you twice over :wink:
orald

Post by orald »

My vessel is magnificant, and fierce, and huge-ish!

Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Spicelon wrote:I have been following this like rubbernecking through an accident scene. I
can only surmise that criticism of the HLP must be attaining new heights and
be coming from quarters heretofore unseen.
I was wondering about that, too. If everything was so great then our comments shouldn't really matter.
CHOAM
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:My vessel is magnificant, and fierce, and huge-ish!
Ha, I was actually joking about "minority" applying to you twice. Thrice if you count being OH :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:My vessel is magnificant, and fierce, and huge-ish!
Yeah? Well I'm a frickin' top-secret military research lab.

I'm talking MASSIVE ENDOWMENT. :D

( :shock: I can't believe I've used that one again.)
orald

Post by orald »

And I just went ahead and quoted the best pirate in thw world. After Maddox, of course(sorry, been watching those movies lately). :P

If you care to define the categories, anyone is part of any number of minorities.

Now more to the point, I think you guys have been pressuring Byron too much. How much say do you think he actually got about what Brian does anyway? Maybe he's legally bound not to talk about the HLP business, and maybe he's also reluctant to bash a relative.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

IIRC Byron is a junior member of the HLP board. His mother and Brian are the only senior members AFAIK. So I figure he has very little say over what Brian does.

The problem is, it appears that no one else, including the whole HLP, does either.
Spice Grandson wrote:I won't discuss HLP business matters. Contracts, membership, etc. is no one's business outside of the HLP.
Byron, if you got burned for answering our questions before, well, I really am kinda sorry.

If your personal opinions on various matters that have been brought up are different from what you present and you are being coerced, by whatever means, from revealing them publicly, well, then I am genuinely and doubly sorry.

I don't expect a reply to this, but what I simply cannot understand is how you other members of the HLP have failed to exercise any control over the content of the books being written and published under your uncle's and Kevin's names.

(That no such control is in effect is made amply clear by Kevin's descriptions of the writing process in his blahgs. At no time has he mentioned their outlines being submitted to the board for review or comment. Is such review actually taking place and he's just omitting that detail so he can grandstand more? He didn't seem to mind admitting that he had to submit to review by DC when doing his Superman book.)

FWIW.