re-release of Chronicles hardcovers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This is from a blog by Kim Herbert. So far they have released Dune and Messiah. IIRC they are badged as Ace, which Penguin owns. I looked through the hardback of Dune, which is a retread of the trade paperback that came out a few years ago. I saw a few typos, and its hard to read. But it is a new hardback and will look stunning on one's shelf!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Kim's father is Brian Herbert. He wrote introductions to the Messiah, and presumably will be writing intros for the other four as they are published. I dont remember if he wrote an intro for Dune. It was published some time ago, so he may not have. I think it may even have been published before the first House book came out, and they are just getting to the rest now. I know I have seen that Trade paperback for some time now.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ah. Its just an introduction. I have only read it once in Messiah, but IIRC there is a bit of self-fulfilling back-patting in there. Nothing really new either. Kind of like, "here's a book by my dad (did I mention that he left us some disks to find after he died?)

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I was going to say, is there any reason to suppose, based on the books that have appeared under his and Kevin's names, that he has any particular insight into his father's books?

At least they have thus far kept the hack out of it.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lets not go that far until we have had a chance to read them, wot say?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK...WHO are you and WHAT have you done with Omphalos?! :evil:

You mean it's too early to know for sure that Kevin hasn't had a hand in the writing, right?

(It's late here and maybe I'm having a "senior moment". For a second I almost believe you were suggesting Brian might have something relevant to say about his father's works. :shock: )
orald

Post by orald »

Just goes to show that not everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I don't plan on buying them because it puts more money in the HLP's greedy paws. Plus, I just don't have room for them.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

bryanvdk wrote:KJA infestation

/agree best description I've heard of it.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Mandy wrote:I don't plan on buying them because it puts more money in the HLP's greedy paws.
I am with you on this one Mandy.

Besides, I don't see the added value to a new hard-back when I already have all the first editions in hard-back. There is nothing that Brian can utter that is remotely interesting.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Mandy wrote:I don't plan on buying them because it puts more money in the HLP's greedy paws. Plus, I just don't have room for them.
I don't buy anything Dune or FH new anymore. I'd rather the money went to a used book shop. Plus I prefer having cool vintage copies that look worn and have some charactor. On this note, I finally found used copies of "Songs of Muad'dib" and "The NoteBook of Frank Herbert's Dune" Which as far as I can tell are just sad money grabs by Brian (they're really just repackaged Dune quotes aside from some prevously unpublished poetry by FH) but they are a necessary addition to my collection (which will not include the preqs).
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:OK...WHO are you and WHAT have you done with Omphalos?! :evil:

You mean it's too early to know for sure that Kevin hasn't had a hand in the writing, right?

(It's late here and maybe I'm having a "senior moment". For a second I almost believe you were suggesting Brian might have something relevant to say about his father's works. :shock: )
No. Im saying that until I read the new hardbacks, Im not going to presume that tweedledum and tweedledumber have not retconned issues into them. I was answering the second sentence of your post about "keeping the hack out of it." For example, a few sentences about Norma in Dune?

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:For example, a few sentences about Norma in Dune?
BH: Here is Leto II's vision in Jacurutu we see foreshadowing of the events which will take place in Sandworms of Dune*explains how it relates*... Many have missed on that because my father, Frank Herbert, has made it very vague so as to surprise his readers in his epic climax which he sadly couldn't write due to his death, but as instructed in his secret notes...

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:No. Im saying that until I read the new hardbacks, Im not going to presume that tweedledum and tweedledumber have not retconned issues into them. I was answering the second sentence of your post about "keeping the hack out of it." For example, a few sentences about Norma in Dune?
OH JESUS EFFING CHRIST RUNNING UP AND DOWN GOLGOTHA WITH A MILKMAID IN HIS ARMS! :shock:

While I've mentioned that a few times as one of my biggest fears, I have never seriously entertained it as a possibility, that they would stoop that low. By "keeping the hack out of it" I just meant keeping Kevin from contributing to any fore- or after-words.

THAT HACK'S NAME DOES NOT BELONG ANYWHERE IN ANY EDITION OF THE ORIGINAL BOOKS. (BYRON, ARE YOU ... PEOPLE FUCKING PAYING ATTENTION? It's bad enough you let the weasel worm his way into a co-producership on the movie. WAKE THE FUCK UP.)

If they were to do something like that, I'm afraid it would be time to start consider taking the game to a whole new level of play. The one where you call in Orald as a "consultant". :twisted:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:While I've mentioned that a few times as one of my biggest fears, I have never seriously entertained it as a possibility, that they would stoop that low. By "keeping the hack out of it" I just meant keeping Kevin from contributing to any fore- or after-words.
Not me man. I always have seen this as a realistic fear. A "new and improved Dune," if you will. Maybe even sold side-by-side with the originals. For a while anyway. But I dont see this as a remote possibility at all.

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:If they were to do something like that, I'm afraid it would be time to start consider taking the game to a whole new level of play. The one where you call in Orald as a "consultant". :twisted:
"Hot tallow on the back, perhaps, or on the eyelids," Piter said. "Perhaps on other portions of the body. It's especially effective when the subject doesn't know where the tallow will fall next. It's a good method and there's a sort of beauty in the pattern of pus-white blisters on naked skin, eh, Baron?"

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Serkanner wrote:
Mandy wrote:I don't plan on buying them because it puts more money in the HLP's greedy paws.
I am with you on this one Mandy.

Besides, I don't see the added value to a new hard-back when I already have all the first editions in hard-back. There is nothing that Brian can utter that is remotely interesting.
Totally agree. Any money that goes into buying FH books now goes into Brian's bank account.
orald

Post by orald »

HoosierDaddy wrote:Totally agree. Any money that goes into buying FH books now goes into Brian's bank account.
Even worse- it goes to Ms.&Mr. Brian and Kevin Anderson's shared acount. :wink:

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

They'll probably retrofit their own inventions into the original books, like re-writing the Appendices to make it clear to slow-witted people that the Butlerian Jihad was fought against a bi-curious robot and brains in jars.