Question about the Preborn

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Question about the Preborn

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

This one has always bugged me, and if someone could clear this up for me I'd relly appreciate it. FH goes to great lengths to explain why Alia is born with other memory, but I never really caught why Ghanima and Leto are born with it. I remember reading in CoD that it was due to Chani's spice addiction, but that's the same as all the other Fremen/BG births. I've had to just assume it's because of Paul being the Kwisatz Haderach. Did I miss a chapter?
Please cure my ignorance.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It probably has to do with the poison Irulan was feeding her.
orald

Post by orald »

Because of what Mandy said, she had to take extra spice, and I mean EXTRA extra.

DM is really my weakest link though, so I can't elaborate on it.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:It probably has to do with the poison Irulan was feeding her.
And the spice based cure she took doses of before she delivered the twins. And Atreides genetics. And the Fremen diet and environment.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

I'll buy it, but it does still feel like a weak link to me.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'll buy it, but it does still feel like a weak link to me.
Well, it was consumption of dangerous levels of spice, IIRC the language correctly. Not sure what else you need.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Maybe, but I got the impression in Dune that the unborn child would get OM only as a side effect of the mother gaining OM while pregnant. I'm okay with it being due to a combination of high melange intake and the Atreides genetics, but just being due to the spice without Chani experiencing some effect (OM related effect) is a bit of a stretch for me. Is there anything in the text that might hint at what effects Chani was suffering? I know I'm being nit picky, but this has always really bugged me and I'd hate to have a peev with the story just because I missread something.
orald

Post by orald »

Yea, like I said EXTRA EXTRA dosage. It kinda sped her pregnancy too IIRC, and was what exhausted and killed her.

A Thing of Eternity

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the effect it had on her pregnancy (i'm obviously due for a re-read). That combined with Paul's genetics is enough for me, I'm quite satisfied now.
orald

Post by orald »

Not like you could ever doubt Frank's word on it, right? Right?! :evil:

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It is an interesting question though. There were other drugs besides WoL that could bring on the change...maybe Irulan poisoned Chani with one of them, since Chani was already addicted to the spice it wouldn't work to open OM for her.
A Thing of Eternity

orald wrote:Not like you could ever doubt Frank's word on it, right? Right?! :evil:
I'd sooner doubt my attention to detail than his word on it, but inconsistancies do happen, even to the best of em.
I'm at peace with it now, I wasn't taking into consideration mass overdose of the spice.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Didn't Freak post something somewhere recently about the twins undergoing their own little Agony/Awakening in the womb in response to the poison and massive amounts of spice?

A sort of instinctive response to the toxin. Something they were able to do because of the Atreides + Fremen genes?

Made sense to me. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

I think it was just the spice. The poison was just there as a reason for the increased spice consumption. It's just a poison really.

A Thing of Eternity

I guess it could just be the spice. The BG have their own terminology for the pre-born (abomination) so it must have happened before.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Irulan was secretly administering a contraceptive and Chani was on a Fremen fertility diet that was extremely high in spice. I think the contraceptive and the fertility diet fighting each other created similar conditions to the Water of Life.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

After I hung up the internet last night I remembered that Chani went on a special Fremen diet when she had trouble conceiving.. so she was off the poisonous contraceptive Irulan was giving her while she was pregnant with the twins. There might have been residue of it left in her system though.

I just started rereading the series and am almost finished with Dune, I'll pay closer attention when I get to this part.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I could be that the twins' Atreides genes made them more sensitive to the spice. They were only half-Fremen babies.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Freakzilla wrote:I could be that the twins' Atreides genes made them more sensitive to the spice. They were only half-Fremen babies.
actually only chani's mother was true fremen..liet was the one who was half fremen ....that basically makes ghanima less than half fremen
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Do I hear three-quarters? Three-quarters! Going once-uh...going twice-uh...SOLD!

:shock:
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

AToE, I posted a theory of mine in another thread on why the twins are preborn. Looks like no one is buying it, but read it and see what you think. Here's a link.

http://www.jacurutu.com./viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15
orald

Post by orald »

Tyrant wrote:actually only chani's mother was true fremen..liet was the one who was half fremen ....that basically makes ghanima less than half fremen
So is Ghani still a Jew? No, wait... :?

Be glad I didn't try to turn this into some joke on Nazi race doctrine. :P

Crys, I'll have to reread DM sometime, but your theory makes sense.
I do remember vaguely that she died very quickly.

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I have just read Crys' theory and I do buy it. It is a plausible theory and there are ( as far as I know ) no direct hints that undermine this theory.

I have always thought that Paul indeed decided to let Chani die to prevent her from worse. That he decided to let Irulan give the contraceptive because as long as Chani wasn't pregnant she would not be killed.

Paul prolonged her life this way until Chani found out about the contraceptive herself and switched to the Fremen diet. This decision was her death warrent and Paul knew he couldn't stop it.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Serkanner wrote:I have just read Crys' theory and I do buy it. It is a plausible theory and there are ( as far as I know ) no direct hints that undermine this theory.

I have always thought that Paul indeed decided to let Chani die to prevent her from worse. That he decided to let Irulan give the contraceptive because as long as Chani wasn't pregnant she would not be killed.

Paul prolonged her life this way until Chani found out about the contraceptive herself and switched to the Fremen diet. This decision was her death warrent and Paul knew he couldn't stop it.
Yes, Yes and Yes. However Paul could have stopped it at any point it's just that for the greater good of humanity and and himself he did not. Instead he ran of into the Bled and let his offspring assume the Golden Patth and the Sandtrout skin.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, Crys, forgot about that!

Makes sense. :D