How to recognize a first edition?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

bgscholar

Re: How to recognize a first edition?

Post by bgscholar »

Omphalos wrote:
EDIT: Now that I think about it, is that the T(A)U member who wrote a dissertation on feminist issues in the Dune series? I wonder. Have not heard back from that person in a while, and don't even remember his (her?) id over that, but something makes me think it is.
Yes, it's mine. According to GoogleWebmaster tools, apparently people have been finding and discussing it. I had long forgotten about it until a few weeks ago. I guess you were never able to track down that one paper from that person you were attempting to email. Would have been nice for my paper, but oh well.

How have things been going lately?
"Even Dune's historians were shockingly slow to recognize that the real Dune story is Jessica's."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

bgscholar wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
EDIT: Now that I think about it, is that the T(A)U member who wrote a dissertation on feminist issues in the Dune series? I wonder. Have not heard back from that person in a while, and don't even remember his (her?) id over that, but something makes me think it is.
Yes, it's mine. According to GoogleWebmaster tools, apparently people have been finding and discussing it. I had long forgotten about it until a few weeks ago. I guess you were never able to track down that one paper from that person you were attempting to email. Would have been nice for my paper, but oh well.

How have things been going lately?
The Tai Estopy paper? I got in touch with someone (in like, 2008) at Tai's university who said he would forward a letter for me, but I long ago forgot to send it off. Oh well. Something for the next generation of Dune hunters to find.

I'd still like a copy of your paper for our archives. What do you say?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

There is a store called Third Place Books by where I live, at one time they had a third edition hardcover of Dune, autographed for $600. I didnt buy it at the time and am still kicking myself, however I saw another third edition on ebay not too long ago for $75. Has anyone ever seen similar prices for later editions? The only first ive ever seen is at the sci-fi museum in the EMP. Paul Allen probably bought it for fun one day. A DAMN good place to look for autographed Dune books is thrift stores, as long as you're not picky about the books being paperbacks.
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

About 2 months ago 1st printing in good condition was sold for around $900 and our member rakishoard lost it in last minute.
My personal record was to buy 8th printing (not ex-lib) for $7.62 few years ago. I've bought also 1st printing ex-lib without DJ for $50. So now I have two 1sts - one for me and one for my Chani ;)
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

75 bucks for a third print is a good deal - if the jacket is in a nice condition. Early prints do certainly come up occasionally at low prices and you just gotta have a lot of patience to grab deals. I think my record in finding a 1st print copy in a good 1st state jacket for $375 is hard to beat.. unless you find it in a thrift store for $1. :-)
just_kyle

Post by just_kyle »

Does anyone have any information on identifying the UK first edition hardcovers?
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

I have those in my collection.
This is a fast and uncomplete list of details indicating 1sts:

Dune - Gollancz, black cover, 1966, price 30/-
Dune Messiah, Gollancz, yellow cover, 1971
Children of Dune, Gollancz, 1976, P3.95
God Emperor of Dune, Gollancz, 1981, P6.95
Heretics of Dune, Gollancz, 1984, P8.95
Chapterhouse: Dune, Gollancz, 0-575-03576-5, Mar 1985, P8.95
just_kyle

Post by just_kyle »

Kwisatz wrote:I have those in my collection.
This is a fast and uncomplete list of details indicating 1sts:

Dune - Gollancz, black cover, 1966, price 30/-
Dune Messiah, Gollancz, yellow cover, 1971
Children of Dune, Gollancz, 1976, P3.95
God Emperor of Dune, Gollancz, 1981, P6.95
Heretics of Dune, Gollancz, 1984, P8.95
Chapterhouse: Dune, Gollancz, 0-575-03576-5, Mar 1985, P8.95
Thank you, that will help as I work on my collection.
The_Antiquarian

Post by The_Antiquarian »

Kwisatz wrote:As I said earlier today in another topic about our FH collection I'd like to share my knowledge about all 9 printings of Dune by Chilton.

1: 1965. $5.95 (blue boards) (Philadelphia, Toronto Ambassador Books). Only first edition stated, with no indication of the printing, this could be a spelling error in Muad'Dib (Maud'Dib) title of 2nd part of novel (but according to Fullerton Archives that was a working title of Dune). This 'error' is in all 9 printings (BCE has the correct version though). Grey endpapers (only in 1st printing), 4 lines on the bottom of back flap (only in 1st). No ISBN number.
2: April 1968. $5.95 (green boards) (Philadephia, Ontario) - Second printing - stated below first edition text, 2 lines on the bottom of back flap. No ISBN number.
3: November 1970. $5.95 (red boards) (Philadephia, Ontario) - Third printing stated below text of second printing. ISBN number: 0-8019-5077-5 (only on copyright page).
4: Dec 1972 $5.95 (red boards). Forth printing stated below third printing text. Rest details the same as in 3rd printing.
5: 567890 432109876 $7.95 (red boards) (Radnor, Pennsylvania). Only stated 'first edition' and number line below with no indication of printing in text. ISBN number also on front flap, 2 lines on the bottom of back flap but different from the printings 2-4.
6: 67890 43210987 $7.95 (red boards) (Radnor PA, Don Mills). No text 'first edition', only number line (the same case in printings 7-9). Added location in copyrights - Don Mills). Rest the same as in 5th printing.
7: 7890 43210987 $7.95 (red boards) (Radnor PA, Don Mills). Added 'ISBN' text to the front flap. Added ISBN number on the bottom right of backcover.
8: 890 43210 $10.95 (red boards) (Radnor PA, Don Mills). Apart of number line and new price - rest is the same as in 7th.
9: 9012345 7654321 $12.95 (red boards) (Radnor PA, Don Mills). New layout of the copyrights, new price and number line obviously.

Rest is history!
Greetings Kwisatz!

First of all, it is an honor to meet someone who is so passionate about collecting Herbert's works! I myself am a collector of books (Tolkien, George R. R. Martin, and bunch of economics books) and as a collector, looking at your collection has been a trust feast for my eyes.

I am just starting to collect Dune and I have a question regarding the info you posted.

You state that there are only 2,200 Dune 1st Edition 1st Printing published. May I ask for the sources? Is this number definite and verifiable?
I ask, because a dealer that I inquired states that half of the initial run of Dune 1st Edition 1st Printing was "pulped" due to defects. I wanted to know exactly how many books were circulated initially!

Also, have you ever come across a PROOF/ARC that precedes Dune 1st Edition 1st Printing? I understand that several books were submitted for review, but besides the loose slip that says "Review Copy," the book itself is same as Dune 1st Edition 1st Printing?

Thank you very much for your time!