Lasguns and Shields

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuckAtreides

Lasguns and Shields

Post by DuckAtreides »

FH never attempted to explain why lasguns and shields caused such a big bang when the two of them intersected, did he? He didn't try to retcon an explanation did he?

I mean, light and shields intersect every time you switch your shield on. What makes coherent light such an explosive addition to a Holtzmann shield?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Lasguns and Shields

Post by Freakzilla »

It seemed to me that FH intentionally tried to eliminate most of the usual flashy technology typical in science fiction, like computers and this is another example of that. It was just a tool to keep from being space opera.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I remember the Dune Encyclopedia had a decent explanation of it, but that's not FH so :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I agree with Freak, but I also think that something about all Holtzmann tech is supposed to be special in a way that goes beyond it just being another piece of futuristic setting. Between shields, the space folding drive, and Duncan's realization about Holtzmann's theories in CH:D, I think the physical basis making all of these techs possible (which no one alive understood, even though they could make use of it) is highly relevant to the thematic material in the series, so having lasguns interact with it in that way may say something about what forces Holtzmann tech uses in its employment on a regular basis.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

This is also an example of FH not spoon feeding us. He doesn't really explain in detail how anything works, you have to use your imagination to fill in the gaps. He leads you up to the curtain but you have to peek through yourself.
~Pink Snowman