Reading group

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Tyrant

Reading group

Post by Tyrant »

im starting this book on wednesday...anyone considering doin a weekly reading group on with me?....more or less just thoughts and discussions of chapters at a time?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm still on Messiah right now (on page 92). If I make it before Wednesday, I'll try to keep up (but I'm a slow reader).
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm actually up to chapter 39 on all the books, I just have to cut and past the chapter reviews over here.

Dune Messiah is finished.

I will get on that soon, promise.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I finished Messiah. If the Children of Dune reading group hasn't started yet, I can participate.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll post CoD tonight. I'm up to chapter 39 so you can participate at your own pace.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm eager to get reading Children of Dune. Is this reading group still a go?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm eager to get reading Children of Dune. Is this reading group still a go?
Yes, I've posted the summaries I have so far, up to Ch. 39. Hopefully I'll be able to keep ahead of you.

Just post comments or questions as you go.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

How does this whole reading group thing work?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:How does this whole reading group thing work?
Just comment or ask questions about the chapters after you read them to get the discussion going. I'd like to keep the discussion limited to the topic chapter or how it relates to previous chapters or books. Just so we don't spoil it for any potential first time readers.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

sorry..havent started reading it yet..ive been sick this week so havent got around to reading
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well let me know when you want to start.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

this wednesday
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Alrighty.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:Well let me know when you want to start.
You can go at your own pace. Eventually my goal is to have all the chapter summaries up and you just comment as you go. Folks here know the books well enough that we can discuss any chapter.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

We are therefore smug and do special dances...in the moonlight...naked...until the neighbors call the cops.

:shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Edric

Post by Edric »

Freakzilla wrote:
Just comment or ask questions about the chapters after you read them to get the discussion going. I'd like to keep the discussion limited to the topic chapter or how it relates to previous chapters or books. Just so we don't spoil it for any potential first time readers.
Do you compare the differences for each chapter of Heretics & Chapterhouse Dune, regarding the differences between the UK & US editions?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Edric wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Do you compare the differences for each chapter of Heretics & Chapterhouse Dune, regarding the differences between the UK & US editions?
Once I finish, I'll revisit HoD & CH:D to note the important differences.

I've only got a few chapters left on each book, I may just finish CoD GEoD... I don't know...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Edric wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Maybe we should start a topic on the differences?
Edric

Post by Edric »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Edric wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
That'll be cool, I've been waiting ages for some feedback since releasing the composite copies.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Edric wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Edric wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
That'll be cool, I've been waiting ages for some feedback since releasing the composite copies.
Should we do it in the same place that Freak is doing the chapter reviews? So we can keep them physically side by side? Or do it in those same threads, just start a new topic? Or somewhere else?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Edric

Post by Edric »

I think in the same threads in reading group as it would make more sense.

The reading group threads for Heretics & Chapterhouse just won't work unless people are reading the same books.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was planning to go back and revisit HoD and CH:D and add something like a footnote to me original summary denoting the differences.

Unless y'all have a better idea for doing it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You know, if Freak went back and did it in his original posts, then it would be much easier for everyone to comment on them in the manner he first intended. I did nto suggest this because its gonna be a butt load of work. Again. But if you are going to do it, I think that would be better than starting parallel posts or interspersing new posts into your threads.

you could go back and modify the original posts with the new info. That way everying is in one place, and easy to get to.

Anyone who is interested in helping could do a chapter and PM it to you, so you could modify your own post with it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!