1978 Dune Calender Signed By Frank Herbert

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jeremiah Leathart

1978 Dune Calender Signed By Frank Herbert

Post by Jeremiah Leathart »

Greetings,

This is my first post so be gentle. I just picked up a 1978 Dune calender signed by Frank Herbert. It even came in it's original box which is also in mint condition. I was wondering if any of you chaps could tell me a bit about this. I know it's incredibly rare, but even so, I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about it. I work at a used book store in Seattle that gets the coolest stuff which is where I found this treasure. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: 1978 Dune Calender Signed By Frank Herbert

Post by Freakzilla »

The art is by John Schoenherr.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

*Pics!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

lotek wrote:*Pics!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1978+Dune+Calender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1978+Dune+Calender" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love that site.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Omphalos wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
I love that site.
:D ... this was the first time I remembered to use it.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Jeremiah Leathart

Clearly I did a thorough Google search. I simply couldn't find any relevant information on a signed calender. Here are a couple pics for y'all.
Attachments
20140508_215307.jpg
20140508_215307.jpg (149.99 KiB) Viewed 12240 times
20140508_215256.jpg
20140508_215256.jpg (251.04 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Jeremiah Leathart wrote:Clearly I did a thorough Google search. I simply couldn't find any relevant information on a signed calender. Here are a couple pics for y'all.
It is an awesome find. Keep it safe!

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Jeremiah Leathart wrote:Clearly I did a thorough Google search. I simply couldn't find any relevant information on a signed calender. Here are a couple pics for y'all.
Congratulations on the find.

If all the information that comes up on a basic Google search (even misspelling "calendar") isn't what you were looking for, you'll have to be more specific about what you want to know.
Jeremiah Leathart

Thanks, y'all. It's certainly a piece I will never sell. As far as the search goes, I'm computer savvy, there simply isn't much on the signed calendars. I guess this is just a puzzle that will take time. The only thing I've been told buy a Dune expert is that he knows of only two signed calendars that have sold; both went for upwards of $1000. Myyyyy goodness....
Jeremiah Leathart

Also, I'm not quite sure why my spellchecker is misspelling calender. For what it's worth, when I swype my name--which is Jeremiah--it comes out 'yog sporta'. Sounds like a martial art or a yogurt or something.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

Jeremiah Leathart wrote:Thanks, y'all. It's certainly a piece I will never sell. As far as the search goes, I'm computer savvy, there simply isn't much on the signed calendars. I guess this is just a puzzle that will take time. The only thing I've been told buy a Dune expert is that he knows of only two signed calendars that have sold; both went for upwards of $1000. Myyyyy goodness....
Is there a puzzle, though? I don't see why there has to be any more to it than "someone at some point got Frank Herbert to sign their Dune calendar." Because apart from the signature, the calendar is no different from the regular (though still quite rare) ones, is it?

This is what I meant when I said you have to be more specific. Are you looking for an estimate of value? Whether anyone else has a signed one? Someone who might have been present at an occasion when FH signed calendars?

Edit: Because of this thread I ended up (re)reading a few articles about John Schoenherr, so I might just post three of the ones I liked best:

http://omnireboot.jerrickventures.com/2013/dune/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bpib.com/illustra2/schoenherr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bpib.com/illustra3/Schoenherr/Draft.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(The last two are by the same author but cover somewhat different material.)
Jeremiah Leathart

I would say my search would encompass all those things. Perhaps, as you say, I should have been more specific regarding what I was looking for with my inquiry here, I though it was clear--any information along those lines would help. Here's to me not laying that out with more clarity. Yeeeaaaahhhh....
lotek

Post by lotek »

Serkanner wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
I love that site.
:D ... this was the first time I remembered to use it.
Cheeky!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

[col]It’s the start of a new year and, accordingly, you’re in need of a new calendar. The better organised among you probably sorted this out back in December. But the really well-organised person could do one better: they could go back and dig up one from 1978 – which happens to have exactly the same day and date sequence as this year....

Years with same starting weekday and equal number of days to 2017 are : 1978, 1939, 1933, 1922 ....|[/col]
    meme 1978-2017.png