Heretics of Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Heretics of Dune

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm currently rereading HoD and something had been bugging me since the one of the first few chapters:

Waff, the Tleilaxu Master of Masters says, "And the ghola on Gammu, this ghola at this time, was worth all of the waiting."

Then, about a third of the way into the book the Tleixaxu attach the Bene Gesserit keep on Gammu with the obvious intention of killing Duncan.

WTF? What am I missing here? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: Heretics of Dune

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm currently rereading HoD and something had been bugging me since the one of the first few chapters:

Waff, the Tleilaxu Master of Masters says, "And the ghola on Gammu, this ghola at this time, was worth all of the waiting."

Then, about a third of the way into the book the Tleixaxu attach the Bene Gesserit keep on Gammu with the obvious intention of killing Duncan.

Perhaps they realized at the last minute that the Duncan ghola had some other super secret of the Tleilaxu's inside him, and wanted to kill him before the Bene Gesserit discovered that secret? There's the obvious secret of Duncan being able to sexual parry any BG who tries to imprint him, but maybe they accidentally put inside of him another secret ability that they hadn't perfected yet or was too embarrassing to be found out by their enemies. The question is, what did the Tleilaxu accidentally put in him?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm currently rereading HoD and something had been bugging me since the one of the first few chapters:

Hmmm ... If this was the Duncan worth the waiting they probably had the possibility to create hem again I assume. Then it would make sense to take this Dunacan away from the Sisterhood.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The only thing I can think of is that something happened inbetween that made the BT decide to assasinate Duncan, and that would be Waff's meeting with the Honored Matre. Since Duncan was a weapon aimed at imprining a BG imprinter, maybe they realized from the NFD's absorbed memories of the HM that Duncan's skills would work against the HMs also and knew that if they found out the HMs would go berzerk on the BT?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

dont remember how many
but i recall that it was mentioned that they had killed over half a dozen duncan ghola's theyd provided the BG which sound like recent events; not some old history

that comment could be seen to include all of them as i dont think we are ever informed about any distinction between these ghola's
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:dont remember how many
but i recall that it was mentioned that they had killed over half a dozen duncan ghola's theyd provided the BG which sound like recent events; not some old history

that comment could be seen to include all of them as i dont think we are ever informed about any distinction between these ghola's
I believe the Duncan in HoD was the twelfth (for the BG). But that's my point, it was made clear that the BT were assasinating them to control the timing of something, I assume the Tleilaxu ascendancy.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

the Tleilaxu thought they were holding somethings so enticing to the Gesserit

that they were going to be able to assimilate them
as the Gesserit late did the Matre

after theyd out manouvered the tleilaxu
distrans

Post by distrans »

there must have been a sckism in theilxu
after the face dancers began imprinting masters

it was barely aluded to
is there any suggestion of how far back this had started to occur?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Damn. I'm clearly going to have to read Heretics again. I've forgotten so much of it, but I really like it.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Something about the ending I've just never really gotten. I know that from the begining the BG state that they suspect the BT have tampered with the ghola. Of course, they have, they've programmed him to sexually bond and kill BG imprinters with secret knowledge brought to them by Tleilaxu returned from The Scattering. All that makes sense.

But... the HM and the BG, at least Taraza seem to have known about this in the end. How? Spies are hinted at both by Waff and Taraza but this is never confirmed and I find it hard to believe in either case, especially in the BG. A Reverend Mother would smell a spy like a fart in church. Murbella and other HMs on Gammu were warned about a the ghola with the sexual bonding knowledge but Waff doesn't seem to know about HM sexual techniques until he kills the HM on the the no-ship and NFDs copy their memories.

In the end, Teg tells Odrade that the whole time Idaho was bait to get the HM to destroy Rakis (and the BT) but he also says that he has to change Taraza's plan and Idaho and Sheana must leave Rakis. This makes no sense to me.

:? :think:
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

when teg said idaho was the bait
isnt he speaking of Tleilaxu plans?

i think the tleilaxu thought the BG would rally to protect rakis
and that they were going to had teg not taken control and subverted their original plan

where does this book fall timewise in regard to the tleilaxu finally producing spice and
when the ixians built machines that could fold space?

i would bet that the guild who had to be keeping a close eye on the tleilaxu
was open to selling the BG "inteligence" on them

not to mention
the way tar handles waff shows such clear mastery of what he thought his secret religion
its always seemed farfetched to me that this was simple based on planting women among them thousands of years back before they stopped allowing their women to have any higher cortex functions
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:when teg said idaho was the bait
The BG we'ren't afraid of the BT.
and that they were going to had teg not taken control and subverted their original plan
Why?
where does this book fall timewise in regard to the tleilaxu finally producing spice and
Seriously? The Ixian Navigation Machine was invented at the end of GEoD. The BT had been producing spice long before this book. I don't believe FH ever says exactly when they started, but it must have been after The Scattering and Famine Times or the HM would not be after BG spice knowledge. However it had been going on long enough for Rakis to be considered a secondary source and severely deflate prices.
The Guild was dependent on the BT for spice and esentially a non-player at this point.
not to mention
the way tar handles waff shows such clear mastery of what he thought his secret religion
its always seemed farfetched to me that this was simple based on planting women among them thousands of years back before they stopped allowing their women to have any higher cortex functions
What? Taraza recognized Islamiat, Sufi and Zensunni in Waff from other memory and Missionaria Protectiva teachings. The BG knew practically nothing about the BT.
~Pink Snowman
distrans

Post by distrans »

forgive the poor manipulation of this format
ivent a clue as to how to manage a concise response that readable
Freakzilla wrote:
distrans wrote:when teg said idaho was the bait
The BG we'ren't afraid of the BT.

never said they were
i said teg saw into their plan and altered plans tar had made NOT being able to see what teg did
Why?

leaving the worm whispering girl on rakis
if the BG plan was to provoke rakis destructions
there would have been much better options to save them than teg happening to drop in out of the blue with a stolen skattering no ship
Seriously? The Ixian Navigation Machine was invented at the end of GEoD. The BT had been producing spice long before this book. I don't believe FH ever says exactly when they started, but it must have been after The Scattering and Famine Times or the HM would not be after BG spice knowledge. However it had been going on long enough for Rakis to be considered a secondary source and severely deflate prices.

and THAT why i asked,
buc i aint the genius whos got it all commited to memory....
The Guild was dependent on the BT for spice and esentially a non-player at this point.

id be interested in the quote here
the guild got alot of spice sacking dune after the god emperor was killed
never heard it posited that they ran faster than the BG after that episode
and before dar found the last of leto's horde
not to mention
What? Taraza recognized Islamiat, Sufi and Zensunni in Waff from other memory and Missionaria Protectiva teachings. The BG knew practically nothing about the BT.

you make my point
recognizing the language and being able to adeptly using it against the devoted eons later are different

the EASE with which tar turns knowing he tongue into knowing the rituals is a rediculousness

simply one of the myriad breaks in continuity franks makes in his crafting of a work
which begs us to fill in the blanks
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

This point's been buggin me since you made it freak and I've not been able to let it be, but in absence of anything to say I haven't.

That may have changed though, When thinking of the Bene T I find it useful to focus of the whole of their History and Psychology (as much as can be deduced) rather than the event its self. So here's me 2pee.

One, the BT were known from the time of Messiah to leave the condemned a route of escape, If the attack on the Gammu Keep was an example of this then it worked.
Two, The BT were not a perfect collective in that there were individuals and packs working towards their own ends, ala inconsistencies in there actions as seen from the outside.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:

This point's been buggin me since you made it freak and I've not been able to let it be, but in absence of anything to say I haven't.

That may have changed though, When thinking of the Bene T I find it useful to focus of the whole of their History and Psychology (as much as can be deduced) rather than the event its self. So here's me 2pee.

One, the BT were known from the time of Messiah to leave the condemned a route of escape, If the attack on the Gammu Keep was an example of this then it worked.
There was a Face Dancer in the courtyard of the Gammu BG Keep blazing at the Idaho ghola with a lasgun... I think the BT were all in on this hand.
Two, The BT were not a perfect collective in that there were individuals and packs working towards their own ends, ala inconsistencies in there actions as seen from the outside.
I don't buy this at all. The BT have obviously been planning this for millenia. Also, the Khel, a small group of Masters seem in control of everything... except to their surprize the New Face Dancers.

I've avoided wanting to say this but this book seems to be the most "rushed" in the series.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:There was a Face Dancer in the courtyard of the Gammu BG Keep blazing at the Idaho ghola with a lasgun... I think the BT were all in on this hand.
hmm, a lone Face Dancer against a full Reverend Mother and a Ghola who's full capabilities were known only by the Tleixaxu themselves. :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:There was a Face Dancer in the courtyard of the Gammu BG Keep blazing at the Idaho ghola with a lasgun... I think the BT were all in on this hand.
hmm, a lone Face Dancer against a full Reverend Mother and a Ghola who's full capabilities were known only by the Tleixaxu themselves. :)
That was just one Teg let get through while he dealt with the main assault, the assault forced Teg, Lucilla and Duncan out of the keep and put them on the run.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
That was just one Teg let get through while he dealt with the main assault, the assault forced Teg, Lucilla and Duncan out of the keep and put them on the run.
Which culminated in the destruction of their culture.
distrans

Post by distrans »

was there ever a hint of them bringing a twisted reverend mother to market?

the bene gesserit survival was extremely unlikely
the tleilaxu were playing a good hand
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

could be wrong, but I thought it was the lost BT from the scattering. The HMs wanted the ghola, and I thought they were ultimately the ones behind that attack.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

distrans wrote:was there ever a hint of them bringing a twisted reverend mother to market?

the bene gesserit survival was extremely unlikely
the tleilaxu were playing a good hand
How would you "twist" a RM?
~Pink Snowman
Sleels

Post by Sleels »

Smiley wrote:could be wrong, but I thought it was the lost BT from the scattering. The HMs wanted the ghola, and I thought they were ultimately the ones behind that attack.
This is what I thought as well. I guess it never specifically says but considering the Honored Matres had BT with them I always assumed it was them. If I remember correctly Schwangyu's last act was to write the warning "Whores" for her sisters
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sleels wrote:
Smiley wrote:could be wrong, but I thought it was the lost BT from the scattering. The HMs wanted the ghola, and I thought they were ultimately the ones behind that attack.
This is what I thought as well. I guess it never specifically says but considering the Honored Matres had BT with them I always assumed it was them. If I remember correctly Schwangyu's last act was to write the warning "Whores" for her sisters
It was. However, I never got the impression that the BT were returning in force from The Scattering. As far as we know, all the returned BT did was arm the Tleilaxu with sexual knowledge for the Idaho ghola.
~Pink Snowman
Sleels

Post by Sleels »

True. I guess it's possible he left it vague on purpose, or perhaps the book is rushed as you've suggested. I enjoyed Heretics a lot and I'm currently re-reading it so maybe I'm biased, but I'm leaning towards the former.

It makes sense to me that some of the BT that went out into the scattering were able avoid being enslaved by the Honored Matre's bonding techniques, and returned the information untainted to the core BT. While the BT ensared by the "Whores" returned and fought for the HM. :geek:

....Although as I'm looking for a quote to support this theory, I found:
"Time to shift his attention to Gammu, Taraza thought. Keep him off balance. She said "Even when you subvert one of us, as you did with Schwangyu on Gammu, you learn nothing of value!"

Waff flared: "She thought to. . . to hire us like a band of assassins! We only taught her a lesson!"

So it appears the Core BT was involved in someway :whistle:
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

Sleels wrote:True. I guess it's possible he left it vague on purpose, or perhaps the book is rushed as you've suggested. I enjoyed Heretics a lot and I'm currently re-reading it so maybe I'm biased, but I'm leaning towards the former.

It makes sense to me that some of the BT that went out into the scattering were able avoid being enslaved by the Honored Matre's bonding techniques, and returned the information untainted to the core BT. While the BT ensared by the "Whores" returned and fought for the HM. :geek:

....Although as I'm looking for a quote to support this theory, I found:
"Time to shift his attention to Gammu, Taraza thought. Keep him off balance. She said "Even when you subvert one of us, as you did with Schwangyu on Gammu, you learn nothing of value!"

Waff flared: "She thought to. . . to hire us like a band of assassins! We only taught her a lesson!"

So it appears the Core BT was involved in someway :whistle:
Ahhh. I stand corrected. Bit thrown off by the warning schwangyu left behind. the whole thing may be more clear on the next reread.