Mentats as programmers?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

DragEgusku

Mentats as programmers?

Post by DragEgusku »

Perhaps the title of the topic is stupid, but I'm really curious if Mentats would be good programmers.
I know that Mentats do not need computers, but as programmers, they would be very capable in this area. That's what I think, but not sure.
For example, I think that the Ixian Navigation Machine was programmed by Mentats.
That would make sense, at least for ixians.
A related question: is still valid Butlerian Jihad's interdiction on computers during the events of Chapterhouse Dune?
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: Mentats as programmers?

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

DragEgusku wrote:Perhaps the title of the topic is stupid, but I'm really curious if Mentats would be good programmers.
I know that Mentats do not need computers, but as programmers, they would be very capable in this area. That's what I think, but not sure.
For example, I think that the Ixian Navigation Machine was programmed by Mentats.
That would make sense, at least for ixians.
A related question: is still valid Butlerian Jihad's interdiction on computers during the events of Chapterhouse Dune?
Considering how well developed the minds of Mentats are, I think they are more than capable to know how to create uber-advanced programs with ancient DOS machines.

I'm a little confused by your last question, but I'm pretty sure Mentats are experienced programmers next to being assassins and advisers.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

DragEgusku wrote:A related question: is still valid Butlerian Jihad's interdiction on computers during the events of Chapterhouse Dune?
The Bene Gesserit never stopped using computers.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DragEgusku

Post by DragEgusku »

That I understood. But I was referring to human society in general. In Chapterhouse of Dune are mentioned robots (meeting between Bene Gesserit and Honored Matres on Junction), which makes me think that this interdiction was raised.
If the Bene Gesserit have always used computers, I wonder where they have these computers, because the manufacture of computers was strictly prohibited.
Perhaps Ixians have made ​​those computers, but it means that each was the other's hand (mutual blackmail?).
And if we add the Mentats, we get an interesting picture.
Perhaps Frank Herbert wanted to show that nothing is black or white, but a combination of the two.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I got the impression those robots were from The Scattering, where pretty much anything goes. Besides, I believe they were automations, non-thinking.

The BG used computers for their archives and breeding records, I believe.

Having Other Memory, I'm sure they could have built their own computers.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Being a programmer myself (and not actually a mentat) I'm not so sure. Mentats seem to think in grand intuitive leaps; Computers force you to think in small, logically sound steps.

On the other hand, the admonitions to shed preconceptions are frighteningly familiar.

I've been reading Daniel Kahnemann's "Thinking: Fast and Slow" recently, a pop-sci book that summarizes his and others' psychological research into thinking, and the errors we're prone to make. It's quite surprising how much it resonates with the stuff Frank wrote.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I imagine they would excel at the design stage of programming.
~Pink Snowman
DragEgusku

Post by DragEgusku »

@Naïve mind:
I agree that they (Mentats) has intuitive thinking. But also they are able to perform tasks of a purely logical. After all, they are the embodiment of logic, as expressed Ms. Jessica.
For example, they can work as accountants, statisticians and mathematicians.
So I think they would be very good programmers in software design and implementation.
In other words, I do not think they think only intuitive, as you leave the impression.

Freakzilla, you believe that in The Scattering were created intelligent robots?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DragEgusku wrote:Freakzilla, you believe that in The Scattering were created intelligent robots?
No, I believe those robots on Junction were brought from The Scattering, but they were obviously not intelligent.

Allthough, I wouldn't be suprised if they were, somewhere.
~Pink Snowman