What is it?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Spacing Guild

What is it?

Post by Spacing Guild »

Didn't know where to put this, but what is the big round thing on the mainstream current Chapterhouse cover supposed to be? The no-ship? A worm's ass?
Corpus Luminis Praenuntiantis
Quilibet, Quolibet, Quandolibet
Apjak

Re: What is it?

Post by Apjak »

the No-Ship
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
lotek

Post by lotek »

Apjak wrote:the No-Ship
No-Shit !

:character-spamcan:

(please don't hate me, the leprechauns made me do it)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I thought it might be Spam too, but I searched his past posts, and just decided it was a n00b. I'm jus' trying to be a nice guy.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ow no I was talking about my own post, even if the question does sound a bit weird ^^
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

I've always wondered what the round thing on the cover was too. Very unique design for the no-ship. It looks like a fat eye with sandworm skin, or a cycloptic blob with a concave eye with worm skin. I liked the design of the planet's surface, too. It looks like the no-ship is sitting in the middle of an existential/futuristic/nightamarish Mexican, or Texan, flat desert. I always found that image haunting, because it was just that blob lying in miles of flat desert and scattered stones under a red sooty sky. Before I even read all the Dune chronicles, covers like this one made me wonder what surreal direction Herbert had taken from th first book. Once I finally read Chapterhouse, the novel turned out to be not as nightmarishly existential as the cover, but the novel was definitely existential.

While writing in the 80s, Herbert took the Dune series towards a crazier direction than the reader of the first book would have expected. In the last three books, you got pages of incredibly dense and complicated philosophical dialogues, unceasing gholas of Duncan Idaho, the Bene Gesserit becoming the focal point and heroines (or anti-heroines) of the series, Arrakis undergoing intense environmental and religious changes over the centuries, new villains who are the supreme antithesis of the Bene Gesserit, explicit sex scenes between gholas and Matres/Gesserits, Arrakis being destroyed and replaced, a new breed of Face Dancer, and hints of a bigger threat we still don't know about. The abstract covers of the last three books don't hint at any of those crazy details, but they still suit the mood of Herbert's dark and uncertain future of Dune.
It still amazes me how Herbert developed the concepts for those books.

Back to the covers, I think it's fascinating that cover art for sci-fi novels in the 70s and 80s had that abstract, existential feel to them. The fact that the latter covers were designed by the same guy who did the earliest illustrations and cover art for Dune fascinates me even more, because of how much his art style has altered over time. :)
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I thought the cover was innaccurate because the landing flat was near Chapterhouse Central and the orchards and farms. I believe it took Odrade three days to get to the desert from there whereas it was just a short trip from central to the no-ship.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Who did the artwork by the way?
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

lotek wrote:Who did the artwork by the way?
I think it was the same person who did the cover art and illustrations for the Dune series since the very beginning: John Schoenherr.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've got that paperback at home, I'll look and see if it gives a credit.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

It is indeed art by John Schoenherr.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Back to the covers, I think it's fascinating that cover art for sci-fi novels in the 70s and 80s had that abstract, existential feel to them. The fact that the latter covers were designed by the same guy who did the earliest illustrations and cover art for Dune fascinates me even more, because of how much his art style has altered over time. :)
You should read this article by sf author Charles Stross about cover artwork; in short, you can be the most stuffy, dry existentialist science fiction author, and a publisher may still decide to adorn your book with a bright red spaceship and a scantily-clad woman holding a ray gun, just to make it draw attention to itself on a bookshelf.

So don't presume that the change in style is a reflection of a change in his personal taste, or evolving artistic insights; it's more likely that he simply painted what the publisher's marketing department wanted him to paint.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.arrakis.co.uk/books.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

John Schoenherr.
thanks everyone :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Love that page, the Bruce Pennington still win the prize for me.
Spacing Guild

Post by Spacing Guild »

Does anyone have the panorama pic of the New English Library series of all the Dune covers stitched together? I found it before online but can't anymore it seems.

Or is it the Berkeley Trade Paperbacks? I know one of those two series form a continuous image when put together.
Corpus Luminis Praenuntiantis
Quilibet, Quolibet, Quandolibet
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It's the mid 80s NEL paperbacks you're thinking of, and if memory serves it was only the 1st 5 books that were designed that way, their cover for Chapterhouse: Dune is a mess, futars in a cage and a big building.

edit, Oh and the pic's about somewhere, chiggy posted years ago. I think he got from http://www.arrakis.co.uk/ or http://www.usul.net/, somewhere like that.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Googling the words, dune panorama found this on the 1st page of results.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

sorry for the size.

edit: Image linky no worky. http://www.djabbic.co.uk/BookCovers/Ima ... norama.jpg
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

OK now the image loads fine, I'm fucking losing it here.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:Googling the words, dune panorama found this on the 1st page of results.

Love those covers.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

That's the latest set I got :)
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Looking at them, I like this Brazilian cover for God-Emperor; it's cleverer than most other illustrations.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ Why do you think that, it's a generic lynchian worm rearing up against a cliff face. Seems phoned in to me.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omph, can you host this as the server/domain seems wonky.

http://www.djabbic.co.uk/PanoramaDetail ... alEntrys=4