Dune Planet and Prophet of Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

tenfingersofdoom

Dune Planet and Prophet of Dune

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

originally posted on Dunenovels.com:
I was reading on wikipedia that when frank originally serialized dune in magazines he took the 8 novellas and rewrote them to publish dune in novel form. I was wondering if anyone had read the original novellas and knew of any important or existing differences. it would be cool to have a real rough draft of dune instead of the one we got in The Road to Dune. If there were major differences it might be a good project to transcribe them.

I can't find the damn things anywhere, nor a complete set on eBay, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this would be a project worth starting?
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
Visigoth

Re: Dune Planet and Prophet of Dune

Post by Visigoth »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:originally posted on Dunenovels.com:
I was reading on wikipedia that when frank originally serialized dune in magazines he took the 8 novellas and rewrote them to publish dune in novel form. I was wondering if anyone had read the original novellas and knew of any important or existing differences. it would be cool to have a real rough draft of dune instead of the one we got in The Road to Dune. If there were major differences it might be a good project to transcribe them.

I can't find the damn things anywhere, nor a complete set on eBay, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this would be a project worth starting?

Which magazines?
ImageImageImage
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Dune was initially published in two parts spread out over several issues of the "Analog" magazine. First book was "Dune World" published in issues Dec '63 to Feb '64. The second book "The Prophet of Dune" came out in Jan-May '65 issues. I'm not sure how big the differences are between those and the first coherent edition published by Chilton, but there are other members here who could answer that.

You could try searching for these using for example http://www.vialibri.com or http://www.bookfinder.com, which are both excellent tools. Ebay is another place to go fishing. I'm not sure, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong; but I think there may be different sizes of these magazines printed simultaneously.

Good luck hunting!
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

someone on eBay usually has the normal and oversize editions of Analog together in a bulk lot.
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.