Star Wars & Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Michelangelo

Star Wars & Dune

Post by Michelangelo »

I've looked around older threads, but couldn't find a specific thread addressing Star Wars. What is the general consensus of the Dune community towards Star Wars? Are the artificial resemblances between Arrakis and Tatoonie taken as a welcomed gestured on behalf of Lucas towards Dune? Or is it viewed as being a rip off of an otherwise great setting? Aside from KJA's works, are there any books in the expanded Star Wars literature that are well received? Or is Star Wars considered the poor man's Dune?

I've been rewatching the original Star Wars and Lynch's Dune film, and I'm not quite sure I understand why the former took off but Dune Messiah was never produced as a film. In literate no Star Wars books have come anywhere near the Dune novels. Only the initial Thrawn books seem to be noteworthy within Star Wars literature. Is there a specific reason why Dune has a smaller following despite this?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Star Wars & Dune

Post by Freakzilla »

Tatooine isn't the only similarity: http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a rip-off. I believe FH even contemplated suing George Lucas at one point.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune & Star Wars

Too many similarities to be coincidence.

The Star Wars universe is said to be heavily influenced by the Dune novels. This is a hotly debated topic among fans, as many of the themes present could be said to be archetypes of science fiction and fantasy novels, as well as of world mythology; other fans contend that the Star Wars films are only action films, with almost no deeper meaning. Thus, by this logic any ties between Star Wars and Dune would be very much superficial and coincidental.

The similarities are more common with the early drafts of Star Wars' script. Princess Leia is transporting a crate of spice instead of station plans, the Jedi are identified as Jedi Bindu and the galaxy is divided into great houses. Herbert decided not to sue Star Wars creator George Lucas because the court battle would have gone on for years, making it more costly and troublesome than it was worth.

http://www.squidoo.com/arrakis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Every author gets inspiration from earlier work more or less, but that draft of Star Wars sounds almost outrageous.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It's obvious what Frank thought of Star Wars with his 3-PO wood.

There is a fine line between inspiration and theft. I think young George Lucas and Prequel Lucas are two completely different people. (In fact, I think Young Lucas would hate the prequels.)
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:It's obvious what Frank thought of Star Wars with his 3-PO wood.

There is a fine line between inspiration and theft. I think young George Lucas and Prequel Lucas are two completely different people. (In fact, I think Young Lucas would hate the prequels.)
Just in case someone isn't familiar with the reference:

Harkonnens had grown some of the finest pilingitam, a wood of steady currency,
always valued by the supremely rich. From the most ancient times, the
knowledgeable had preferred to surround themselves with fine woods rather than
with the mass-produced artificial materials known then as polastine, polaz, and
pormabat latterly: tine, laz, and bat). As far back as the Old Empire there
had been a pejorative label for the small rich and Families Minor arising from
the knowledge of a rare wood's value.
"He's a three P-O," they said, meaning that such a person surrounded himself
with cheap copies made from declasse substances. Even when the supremely rich
were forced to employ one of the distressful three P-Os, they disguised it where
possible behind O-P (the Only P), pilingitam.

~Heretics of Dune
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

reminds me of a certain hack of a man doesn't it.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ampoliros wrote:reminds me of a certain hack of a man doesn't it.
only this one went straight to the shit stuff without bothering with being talented first.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Wow, I never realized that Heretics reference...that certainly does not leave doubt as to FH's opinion on SW.
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

The worst thing in my opinion about Dune vs star wars debate is that star wars is very (in)famous. There are many blogs about star wars rip offs and star wars is "trope namer" of many tropes. And Dune film was box office flop...
Remember the alamo!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Big difference though, Star Wars was written as a movie. Dune is almost destined to fail in theaters.
~Pink Snowman
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

The first Star Wars movie also lifts from Hidden Fortress. It's influences are sort of all over the place.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Superdog wrote:The first Star Wars movie also lifts from Hidden Fortress. It's influences are sort of all over the place.

...with some Seven Samurai thrown in.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:Big difference though, Star Wars was written as a movie. Dune is almost destined to fail in theaters.
and now the HLP is here to HeLP do that.
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Of all the novels with the label "Dune" on them I think Butlerian Shithad felt like Star Wars the most when I read it. Maybe they should focus on turning those into blockbusters first?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ULFsurfer wrote:Of all the novels with the label "Dune" on them I think Butlerian Shithad felt like Star Wars the most when I read it. Maybe they should focus on turning those into blockbusters first?

All those special effects won't be free then. :(
~Pink Snowman
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Those books still lack a sidekick for comic relief. Maybe Erasmus could take on that role? He's like a humorless C3PO in current form.
lotek

Post by lotek »

more like
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

ULFsurfer wrote:Of all the novels with the label "Dune" on them I think Butlerian Shithad felt like Star Wars the most when I read it. Maybe they should focus on turning those into blockbusters first?
There were the process of pitching the prequels as movies when Paramount turned around and told them "Real Dune of GTFO". :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

pla·gia·rism
noun
an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author: It is said that he plagiarized Thoreau's plagiarism of a line written by Montaigne. Synonyms: appropriation, infringement, piracy, counterfeiting; theft, borrowing, cribbing, passing off.
a piece of writing or other work reflecting such unauthorized use or imitation: “These two manuscripts are clearly plagiarisms,” the editor said, tossing them angrily on the floor.

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rip-offornot.com/DSW0001.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.dunenovels.com/viewtopic.p ... afe3386dad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember the alamo!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^
Yoda equals Thufir? It must be a male pattern baldness thing.

Image Image
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

lotek wrote:more like
Voiced by Kevin H. Anderson of course.
Remember the alamo!
lotek

Post by lotek »

All lines pre-dictahiked.
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Another similarity:

Crizius

Post by Crizius »

“ To start, the narrative and some other elements draw clear inspiration from an old Akira Kurosawa picture named The Hidden Fortress. The climax, the scene where Luke Skywalker's X-Wing blows up the Death Star, is so similar to the WWII English bomber pic The Dam Busters' endshot, that even Lucas himself admits he copied much of the dialogue and refilmed the scene nearly shot-for-shot from that old war movie. Most notably, Lucas borrowed heavily from the Frank Herbert novel Dune. Such iconic trademarks of the series such as the 'Jedi mind trick,' 'desert planet' Tatooine, the very concept of a genetic pseudo-spiritual-telepathic 'force,' patrilineal space knights (Jedis), ten-story man eating worms, among others, are all pilfered. And that point is not even disputed by either Dune's writer or Lucas. There are plenty of sites online which explain what he recycled in further detail, knock yourself out fanboys. ” -
http://www.imdb.com/list/IUgsThQOjGk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remember the alamo!