The word Sardaukar

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Zedwardson

The word Sardaukar

Post by Zedwardson »

Just curious, does anyone know where Frank found/developed the word Sardaukar?
I hear the wind blowing across the desert and I see the moons of a winter night rising like great ships in the void.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: The word Sardaukar

Post by Serkanner »

Perhaps form this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
jakoye

Post by jakoye »

Zedwardson wrote:Just curious, does anyone know where Frank found/developed the word Sardaukar?
Don't know, but I've always loved the word itself and the concept behind it. Which is why their depiction in the Lynch movie was so very disappointing. Dudes in hazmat suits that (seemingly) couldn't shoot straight? Blech!

I don't remember how they were portrayed in the miniseries. Gotta be better than hazmat suits, though I'm certain no depiction has yet matched how I see them in my head. :)

[Edit: "Dudes", not "Dude's"]
Last edited by jakoye on 01 Jul 2012 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingersofdoom

Post by tenfingersofdoom »

in the miniseries they looked like sous chefs, Sousdaukar!
Kevin J. Anderson is so stupid he thinks he invented The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen since he wrote the movie tie-in.
jakoye

Post by jakoye »

tenfingersofdoom wrote:in the miniseries they looked like sous chefs, Sousdaukar!
Ugh. I just saw a pic of that. :puke:

Why are costume designers obsessed with hats? Where in the text does it say anything about Sardaukar (or anyone else) wearing hats? I always pictured them as bare-headed, myself. And really, why would you need a hat/helmet when you have a shield?

And these are supposed to be the most feared troops in the entire galaxy, but so far in their two depictions they've looked like extras from Contagion and Chef Boyardee. WTF?! C'mon, people!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

jakoye wrote:And really, why would you need a hat/helmet when you have a shield?
To keep your head warm and to keep the sun out of your eyes.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
jakoye

Post by jakoye »

Freakzilla wrote:
jakoye wrote:And really, why would you need a hat/helmet when you have a shield?
To keep your head warm and to keep the sun out of your eyes.
Well that's why *I* wear a hat. :) (though, living in Seattle, it's more to keep the RAIN out of my eyes!)

I'm just miffed that no one yet has shown the Sardaukar as completely bad-ass as they were in the books. Sure, they got pwned by the Fremen, but the Fremen had home field advantage and the Sardaukar were said to be worth ten Landsraad soldiers at their peak (drop that down to maybe five by the time of Paul's ascension due to, as the Dune glossary states, overconfidence and declining faith in their warrior religion).
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think they should have looked something like Nazi SS. Those were stylish uniforms.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
jakoye

Post by jakoye »

Freakzilla wrote:I think they should have looked something like Nazi SS. Those were stylish uniforms.
That's an interesting thought, since the SS definitely had their own "warrior religion", just as the Sardaukar are supposed to have had. There are certainly a ton of parallels between the Sardaukar and the SS, especially the part about freely using cruelty to intimidate your enemies.

The SS were completely inhumane, of course, and rightly despised, but Sardaukar modeled along those lines would certainly nail down the "intimidation factor" better than guys in hazmat suits or angry chefs.