Conventional Space Travel

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Michelangelo

Conventional Space Travel

Post by Michelangelo »

Although the Guild had a monopoly on long distance space travel up till the time of the Scattering, are we ever told how much it dominates space travel within planetary systems?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Conventional Space Travel

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, there were smugglers, House Frigates, lighters, etc. So I imagine Guild transport was just for interstellar travel.

But no, it's never really discussed.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Whatever in-system travel there was was indeed probably without the Guild, but I'm not sure that there would have been tons and tons of it going on.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

They did have a say in whether or not Arrakis had weather satellites so they either manufactured them or regulated them somehow.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

I actually assumed the Guild had a monopoly over all travel to certain space regions and Arrakis, being of great importance, was one of these. I don't see the Guild as the type to manufacture much, so it is more likely that they simply regulated them or were blackmailing the Fremen.

Now that I think about it, why didn't the guild crush the Fremen's hopes early on? If the planet was made green there would go their supply of spice.
A Thing of Eternity

They may have thought it was futile, may have not understood what the Fremen were trying to do, and may not have understood the threat.

Spice is extremely poorly understood at the beginning of Dune, Paul himself is surprised when he figures out it has something to do with the worms... which to me was always a little silly, I'd think people would have researched the subject of spice more than just about any other subject in the universe... but hey, FH wasn't perfect. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:They may have thought it was futile, may have not understood what the Fremen were trying to do, and may not have understood the threat.

Spice is extremely poorly understood at the beginning of Dune, Paul himself is surprised when he figures out it has something to do with the worms... which to me was always a little silly, I'd think people would have researched the subject of spice more than just about any other subject in the universe... but hey, FH wasn't perfect. :wink:
I was just reading Dune at the park while the kids played. In the chapter in which Kynes dies, he mentions that the ruling class was always too busy to look up from grubbing for spice to explore the relationship.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Michelangelo wrote:I actually assumed the Guild had a monopoly over all travel to certain space regions and Arrakis, being of great importance, was one of these. I don't see the Guild as the type to manufacture much, so it is more likely that they simply regulated them or were blackmailing the Fremen.

Now that I think about it, why didn't the guild crush the Fremen's hopes early on? If the planet was made green there would go their supply of spice.
The Guild is supposed to be neutral and they always choose the safest path through the future. Besides, if crushing the Fremen was easy the Harkonnens or Sardaukar would have done it.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

PLUS, the Guild was partly responsible for enforcing the Great Convention (Guild Peace).
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:They may have thought it was futile, may have not understood what the Fremen were trying to do, and may not have understood the threat.

I was just reading Dune at the park while the kids played. In the chapter in which Kynes dies, he mentions that the ruling class was always too busy to look up from grubbing for spice to explore the relationship.
Oh I remember it was explained, I just never thought it was a fully realized explanation in my opinion. FH could have done better than that I think, but obviously he was short on space too.

I'd love to know if copies exist of the drafts of Dune before he whittled it down to a shorter length for the publishers.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Also, I don't think the Fremen wanted anyone to know.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Oh I remember it was explained, I just never thought it was a fully realized explanation in my opinion. FH could have done better than that I think, but obviously he was short on space too.

I'd love to know if copies exist of the drafts of Dune before he whittled it down to a shorter length for the publishers.
There are many versions in the Fullerton library. My bro and I are working on a plan to go photograph them all properly.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

There are many versions in the Fullerton library. My bro and I are working on a plan to go photograph them all properly.

I thought that's what some of the chapters in Road to Dune were? Not that I think there couldn't be more.
~Pink Snowman
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

I live within driving distance to visit Fullerton myself. Does anyone know how one would be able to access FH's papers exactly? Would asking a librarian be sufficient?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omph has been there a couple times, he'll be able to tell you.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

If you are interested in going I can tellegret you started. There is a special archive in the library with a dedicated archivist. It's above the main floor of the library.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I can tellegret you started.
Say WTF? :shock:

(Another iPad autocorrection?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

Ah okay. It's in the special collections. I recall while lurking a while back someone mentioned they tried to take as many photos as possible of the collection. Any links per chance?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Michelangelo wrote:Ah okay. It's in the special collections. I recall while lurking a while back someone mentioned they tried to take as many photos as possible of the collection. Any links per chance?
Not here. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Well I think the Fremen were in control the whole time. Their collective consciousness insured that the events that led to Paul would come about. And that meant the Guild never tried to take control. This is my thought as to what the "higher plan" was.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Crysknife wrote:Well I think the Fremen were in control the whole time. Their collective consciousness insured that the events that led to Paul would come about. And that meant the Guild never tried to take control. This is my thought as to what the "higher plan" was.
That's going to freak the newbies out. :D

I'm going to look for evidence of this in my current reading.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I can tellegret you started.
Say WTF? :shock:

(Another iPad autocorrection?)
Yep. Not even I can figure out what I meant.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:in my best Syd Viscious voice:

tellegrets, I've had a few...

Then again, too few to mention.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote::in my best Syd Viscious voice:

tellegrets, I've had a few...

Then again, too few to mention.
Some kind of overly chatty bird??? :D

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Guilty.
~Pink Snowman