Doing research on Dune, need help!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Doing research on Dune, need help!

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:As a side note, I heard from people who have read the book that the original Frank Herbert english version is quite hard to read (at least to non-native speakers) and that he uses difficult language. I bought the Greek version because it was more readily available (I had to order the english one) and because I heard that it is easier to read for us.

Are the rumors true about FH's language?
Yes, it is not an easy read. Take your time.

I started reading it in the Summer when I was thirteen and finished just before the movie came out in December.

By contrast, I also read Asimov's Foundation series that summer, about a book a week.

Use my reading group to help you along.

(I'm a slow reader)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

as opposed to some other "writers", a word I do use in a very general sense, FH never catered for the lowest common denominator, and didn't try to make it easy but to make it compelling, insteresting, complex...

Let's pick a random bad example

Talking like an idiot makes you an idiot in my book, no pun intended.

But don't feel ashamed to read it in your own language though.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Just a quick question before I continue watching the video: What gave Brian the right to continue writing his father's books? Was there something in writing giving him that right, or was it enough that Frank Herbert was his father?
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Who's Brian looking at? I think Kevin's probably making eye contact with the interviewer. Brian's looking... somewhere.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

All that time he had no interest in pissing on his father's work, and then, when he met Kevin, "the two of us had this incredible enthusiasm and energy for the Dune universe."
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Oh, goodness...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Just a quick question before I continue watching the video: What gave Brian the right to continue writing his father's books? Was there something in writing giving him that right, or was it enough that Frank Herbert was his father?
I believe he holds the copywrite.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Frank Herbert called it Dune 7, but they knew better...
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

"he didn't tell us, he didn't tell the fans, and so it was up to Kevin and me to figure out what that solution was, and we found notes that told us..."
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Ohh...
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah you see now...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

This is probably just my own wicked imagination, but I saw this look on Kevin's face when Brian was talking about the notes. I'm not gonna go back and watch the video right now, but it was kind of like this look that said, "Yes, that's it. Just what we went over. Good boy!" That's just me though.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:This is probably just my own wicked imagination, but I saw this look on Kevin's face when Brian was talking about the notes. I'm not gonna go back and watch the video right now, but it was kind of like this look that said, "Yes, that's it. Just what we went over. Good boy!" That's just me though.

You're not the first to notice this.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

OK, I've been through about 3 chapters of the book. There has been a mention that Carthag has been the place of rule for Harkonnen while they were on Arrakis, and that Leto chose Arrakeen for his seat of power.

Should Harkonnen have a bonus if they do battle in Carthag, while Atreides have a bonus in politics while in Arrakeen (or something similar)?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Hard to say, if that's something that would help with the mechanics of the game then I'd go for it, here's nothing hugely wrong with that idea or anything - but it probably doesn't make any real sense as per the book, the Harkonnens were hated where ever they were on the planet, I guess you could argue that they'd maybe know their way around the place better so it'd be a little easier for them to fight there - but the Atreides had just gotten to Arrakis so they don't know their way around anywhere anyways.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Moonleaf wrote:OK, I've been through about 3 chapters of the book. There has been a mention that Carthag has been the place of rule for Harkonnen while they were on Arrakis, and that Leto chose Arrakeen for his seat of power.

Should Harkonnen have a bonus if they do battle in Carthag, while Atreides have a bonus in politics while in Arrakeen (or something similar)?
Yes.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Hard to say, if that's something that would help with the mechanics of the game then I'd go for it, here's nothing hugely wrong with that idea or anything - but it probably doesn't make any real sense as per the book, the Harkonnens were hated where ever they were on the planet, I guess you could argue that they'd maybe know their way around the place better so it'd be a little easier for them to fight there - but the Atreides had just gotten to Arrakis so they don't know their way around anywhere anyways.
In the mini-series there was a scene with Paul's mother giving free water to beggars. I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet but I suppose it holds some basis on the book.

The factions don't start with these abilities, they acquire them during the game. So I think it's a sound way to represent the book's(?) later event in a game mechanic. Something like:
"Generosity" - 2P: When on Arrakeen, gain an additional political die

I'm getting closer :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Water-seller has prostitute try to seduce Paul +3 boner.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:Water-seller has prostitute try to seduce Paul +3 boner.
Paul successfully rolls a save against hoes; preserves his "water deposit" for Chani!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Roll Pauls cha at -2 to maintain nit-nit else suffer penalty for 'early deposit.'
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

D Pope wrote:Roll Pauls cha at -2 to maintain nit-nit else suffer penalty for 'early deposit.'
As in premature ejaculation? That's constitution, not charisma.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

I see there are some D&D fans around, cool :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Now that you're reading it I'll bet you can see what we meant by "really, you just have to read it!". You're only a short way in and already you've found multiple things to use in your game, there's just so much depth there that it's really hard to serve it up on a plate.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Omphalos wrote:
D Pope wrote:Roll Pauls cha at -2 to maintain nit-nit else suffer penalty for 'early deposit.'
As in premature ejaculation? That's constitution, not charisma.
I stand corrected!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

I'd like to hear opinions on some early thoughts.

I'm going to give each faction a keyword mechanic that only exists for that faction, something that represents their playing style.

Current contenders:
Fremen: Ambush, you may use an Ambush and another ability during your turn (instead of using just one)

Spacing Guild: Overtime, you may use this ability again by paying 1 spice (normally you can use an ability once each turn)

Atreides: Leadership, you may use this ability with a Guarded die

Harkonnen: Baronny, use another lower-numbered die instead of this one