Doing research on Dune, need help!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Doing research on Dune, need help!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

The first is pretty obvious what the bonus might be, the third also makes some sense - but the 2nd and 4th are fairly unclear as to what they do, and also as to what their inspiration is from the books (Baronny is obvious what the inspiration is, but the name of a city rather than an action/quality is confusing - I'm sure it makes sense to you because you know what caused you to come up with these and what they actually DO for the player, but for me reading them they're not so clear!).
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Thanks for taking the time to answer aToE :)

Don't worry about the unclear rules yet, they're not streamlined, just trying to give a basic idea on what the ability does.

About the fourth (Harkonnen), I wanted to give the impression that the Baron is ordering other units to do his bidding, since I've noticed that the Baron is not actively involved in the book but mostly gives orders. The name was an issue, trying Underling, Commandment, Slave, Ordering and such. In the end I thought that the title, perhaps as a noun, would be a good choice. I suppose there is confusion because Baronny is both the title and a location? Perhaps just Baron would be better? Something else? What do you think?

About the Spacing Guild, I was considering a game mechanic direction 'spend money to make money', but I don't know yet how thematically accurate it is. Still, there has been mention that the Spacing Guild consumes spice in order to do business (thus making more money). I was again in lack of a name, I suppose I'm bad at names. Suggestions?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Moonleaf wrote:Thanks for taking the time to answer aToE :)

Don't worry about the unclear rules yet, they're not streamlined, just trying to give a basic idea on what the ability does.

About the fourth (Harkonnen), I wanted to give the impression that the Baron is ordering other units to do his bidding, since I've noticed that the Baron is not actively involved in the book but mostly gives orders. The name was an issue, trying Underling, Commandment, Slave, Ordering and such. In the end I thought that the title, perhaps as a noun, would be a good choice. I suppose there is confusion because Baronny is both the title and a location? Perhaps just Baron would be better? Something else? What do you think?
"Baron" is a title the Harkonnens have "bought" through their CHOAM company dealings, meaning pretty much they became so powerful financially the Emperor gave them royal title. Like the barons of midieval Europe. Baron Vladimir doesn't do any of his own dirty work (well, maybe a little in the bedroom), he is the Patriarch of House Harkonnen.
About the Spacing Guild, I was considering a game mechanic direction 'spend money to make money', but I don't know yet how thematically accurate it is. Still, there has been mention that the Spacing Guild consumes spice in order to do business (thus making more money). I was again in lack of a name, I suppose I'm bad at names. Suggestions?
You haven't finished Dune yet, have you? That's a spoiler. :naughty:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

Hahaha, OK, avoid the spoilers. I am speaking my mind with what I have so far, so as not to miss and forget ideas.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The spice is very important, how is revealed in the third act of Dune.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Moonleaf

Post by Moonleaf »

I got down to write some achievements for Atreides, which are of course debatable and open to change as I read more of the book. I'm open to additional achievements as well. I'd love to hear opinions:

Name / Prerequisites / Bonus
Lockdown / All your dice are guarded (at least 3) /After you roll, you may guard any 6
Death of Leto Atreides / A 6 is removed by an opponent / Attack abilities cost 2 less
No more intrigue / Your last die is removed from a conflict / You may place your first counter revealed if military, it gets +2 to its result
Rule with the consent of the ruled / Have a 4M, 4P and 4E at resolution / When you have a die of each type in resolution gain +5