Dune Word Pronounciations

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Streaksy

Dune Word Pronounciations

Post by Streaksy »

I sometimes wonder if words are intended to be pronounced as I assumed.

The first exposure I had to Dune was the PC game. Then the Lynch film (point-missing award winning). Then the books. Then the series thing. (not quite as bad as the film but ugh. It took a LONG time before I could watch past the Gom Jabbar scene because when he recites the litanny agaisnt fear, she (the supposed BG megamind) says "YES! PREY!" AGH!! Either take it out or don't gratuitously stifle the whole point of the scene, as only the ficklest Dune fans could abide that. And I think we're all here because we're not fickle.

Oops. Back to topic..

So, in the movies stuff, there are several words pronounced different to how I imagined. Here's how I always hear some of them.

Yueh: Surely it's Yoo-Eh, not Yoo-Ee
Gesserit: I thought the G was said normally, not like a J
Muad'Dib: I thought it was dib, not deeb, but at least that one makes sense
Sietch: Seetch
Tabr: Taber
Irulan: Ih-roo-l'n, emphasising the U, not the A
Caladan: Only emphasising the first A, not the middle
Giedi Prime: Jee-edd-eye prime. A bit like Jedi. Wouldnt be surprised if it was among the things Lucas ripped off from Dune
Piter: I thought it was a sonanym of Peter. Just a different spelling. I'm prolly wrong there.
Thufir: This was before I knew that -ir was said as -eer. Thought it sounded like Thoofer.
Harkonnen: Only the "hark" emphasised, and the rest said with underplayed vowels. Can't see why the O would be so drawn-out.
Rautha: Rawtha
Suk: Suck, not Sook/Suke

I don't know what research was done by the film makers.

Quick note. The novel says that Grandpa Vlad the fat pedo weighs about 200 but only carries 50 on his feet, meaning he walks normally. The screenplays have him swirling around the sky all fancy-free. His suspensors are just support!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune Word Pronounciations

Post by Freakzilla »

Straight from the horses mouth: http://usul.net/books/sounds.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

:O He doesn't sound like a bearded, patronly man-of-the-world at all! He sounds like a Dungeons & Dragons player! Didn't know he'd even been recorded. I don't even know what he looks like. :P Scared to look now. Thanks a lot. How do you know about all this stuff??
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Streaksy wrote:I don't even know what he looks like. :P Scared to look now.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2621&hilit=the+master" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How do you know about all this stuff??
I've been a Dune fan since 1984, and this is my forum, so... :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

Oh its your forum!? Love the title :P Very apt since I hear the official Dune sell-out crew aren't your biggest fans.

I was 4 in 1984. ;P I didn't read the books until I was 17 in 1997. I've tried Dune forums a couple of times in the past and it was all idiot posers. Coming here has sparked my fascination again. All I've done in the last 8 hours is read Dune. Hence writing that list of Dune words from early in the book and posting my pronounciations of them a few hours ago.

Frank doesn't look like how he sounds. Authors reading aloud from their own books seem to be irritated and scolding, or is it just me..
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Streaksy wrote:Oh its your forum!? Love the title :P Very apt since I hear the official Dune sell-out crew aren't your biggest fans.
Nobody said they were smart. :wink:
I've tried Dune forums a couple of times in the past and it was all idiot posers.
There can be only one.
Coming here has sparked my fascination again. All I've done in the last 8 hours is read Dune.
Mission accomplished! :D
~Pink Snowman
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

I always thought Chani was Chaa-nee and not Chay-nee. Also I disagree with some of the pronunciations in that linked page by Freakzilla here as I live in a place where names similar to those exist.

I'm disappointed that it's deeb and not dib in Muad'Dib. Muahd-dib was what I expected. You know, clear your throat while saying it the Arab way :S.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

WAIT WHAT THOSE ARE FRANK'S WORDS? All hail. I bow down in submission.

I agree with Streaksy. Are you sure that isn't his faggot grandson who has the HLP rights to use Frank's name?
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Demerzel wrote: Are you sure that isn't his faggot grandson who has the HLP rights to use Frank's name?
That's Frank's voice, I know it well as I have a collection of vinyl of him speaking (which is where some of those come from).

Also, the faggot was his son Bruce, who sadly died from AIDS some while ago. His grandson Byron I'm pretty sure is straight.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Demerzel wrote:WAIT WHAT THOSE ARE FRANK'S WORDS? All hail. I bow down in submission.

I agree with Streaksy. Are you sure that isn't his faggot grandson who has the HLP rights to use Frank's name?
I don't think "faggot" is the proper nomenclature. :naughty:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Demerzel wrote:WAIT WHAT THOSE ARE FRANK'S WORDS? All hail. I bow down in submission.

I don't think "faggot" is the proper nomenclature. :naughty:
I'll take this one, leave it to me. :wink:
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Slipped out -.-

Flowerpot + maggot = faggot!
A Thing of Eternity

Flowerpot? :?
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Streaksy wrote::O He doesn't sound like a bearded, patronly man-of-the-world at all! He sounds like a Dungeons & Dragons player! Didn't know he'd even been recorded. I don't even know what he looks like. :P Scared to look now. Thanks a lot. How do you know about all this stuff??

We know because we are THE Dune forum.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

You know, these things:

Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

He sounds totally different. He's a StarCraft Battle Report commentator in pronunciation guide.
A Thing of Eternity

Demerzel wrote:He sounds totally different. He's a StarCraft Battle Report commentator in pronunciation guide.
Different mic positions/processing applied afterwards. The pronunciation guide is him 100% for sure, I have the recordings in my possession that many of those clips were taken from, he just has a kinda high pitched funny voice.
A Thing of Eternity

Demerzel wrote:You know, these things:

Well yeah! :lol: I just wasn't sure what flowerpots, in combination with maggots, had to do with Byron! :lol:
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

^ That's how I like my authors. Eccentric and weird in their own way.

Also, I apologize for the word. I come from more raucous forums.
A Thing of Eternity

Demerzel wrote:^ That's how I like my authors. Eccentric and weird in their own way.
Oh FH has that in spades!
Also, I apologize for the word. I come from more raucous forums.
Not a worry, we're far from polite or watching our language here, that's just one particularly offensive word. You might as well have called Byron a nigger, which would be equally innaccurate and offensive! :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I love my dead, gay son!

Name that movie...
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I love my dead, gay son!

Name that movie...
Damnit, I almost have it, but I can't quite remember... bahhhhh!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

People make a big deal about sexual orientation, but I don't see what the big deal is. It's like this whole military thing. Yeah, gays should have the right to serve, but why the need to tell everyone you're gay, or straight, or whatever. Hmm... Sometimes I type up comments like this, but then end up not posting them. I'm afraid someone'll take offence, but, you know, fuck it.

The pronunciations: I think I was pretty much spot on on most of them. The ones I was getting wrong (off the top of my head) were "Chani" and "Atreides."

I really like the way Frank Herbert tied the Atreides back to Atreus and his cursed line. So epic...
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

JustSomeGuy wrote:People make a big deal about sexual orientation, but I don't see what the big deal is. It's like this whole military thing. Yeah, gays should have the right to serve, but why the need to tell everyone you're gay, or straight, or whatever. Hmm... Sometimes I type up comments like this, but then end up not posting them. I'm afraid someone'll take offence, but, you know, fuck it.
Ha, no that's not offensive - the issue with the military thing is that they shouldn't have to hide the fact that they're not straight, it should be a non-issue. Obviously it isn't, but one day it will be.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I love my dead, gay son!

Name that movie...

Heathers. Kurt & Ram's repressed homosexual suicide pact.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!