JustSomeGuy

Re: "Brown Repose" Epigraph

Post by JustSomeGuy »

:lol:
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think most of the discussion of how we came to that conclusion is in that thread that was linked too in the first reply, I'll see if I can find anything else though.

If I remember right it's something we deduced, not something explicitly spelled out in the Dune novels. The book made it clear the CET event was on Earth, and on an Island, but beyond that my memory gets fuzzy.
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

HAHA someone already has. The first thing I got was a link to a discussion about everything. But since I didn't know what the C.E.T. was I didn't know what I was looking at, and thought someone was just making some joke I didn't understand or something. The internet is a rush of info, and we have to filter out a lot of it. Again, I'm not used to it and I've had a hard time learning what to filter-out. Know what I mean?

Okay, I understand if nobody comments again. BTW, Ironically, I do have an emotional disorder that I'm trying to work through but not being internat savvy combined with that in a bad way. I basically exposed myself to be everything I damned in my wierd temper.
A Thing of Eternity

Meh, we've seen a LOT of people with emotional issues come through here, most of them just blow up and continue blowing up, it takes a mature to admit when you've blown up though. I know I even had a hard time admitting it a couple times I made an ass of myself when I first joined!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

You know, everyone has their quirks. There was a little misunderstanding, but now we can all move past that.
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

Me: What's Brown Repose about?
Forum: it's all here: (link to a page with damn good arguments about why it's about Hawaii)
Me: I don't know what the Earl of Sandwich has to do with anything...
Forum: um, cos of Hawaii.
Me: Hawaii hawaii hawaii! God, if you don't know just admit it!
Forum: Huh?
Me: I HATE YOU I HATE YOU
Forum: .......

Then I realised all my questions were answered in the first reply. Ugh. I have to get a grip.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Out of those first ecumenical meetings came two major developments:
1. The realization that all religions had at least one common commandment:
"Thou shall not disfigure the soul."
2. The Commission of Ecumenical Translators.
C.E.T. convened on a neutral island of Old Earth, spawning ground of the
mother religions. They met "in the common belief that there exists a Divine
Essence in the universe." Every faith with more than a million followers was
represented, and they reached a surprisingly immediate agreement on the
statement of their common goal:
"We are here to remove a primary weapon from the hands of disputant
religions. That weapon -- the claim to possession of the one and only
revelation."

~Appendix II: The Religion of Dune

That in combination with the hints in the poem...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

I see it now. It looks like huge hint with the clues split just enough to reward readers who figure it out. I should read the appendices now that I'm an (alledged) adult. Thanks a lot. It's answered a question I've carried for over a decade. I'm glad I came here, and I apologize for my reactions again. And thanks for having the patience.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It is understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person such as yourself. :wink:

No big deal, well played. :clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:cylon101: Oh, yeah... you REALLY need to read the appendices.
~Pink Snowman
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

SandChigger:
"This is going to be one of the fun parts of the upcoming Shitterhood of Dune book or "Great Stools" trilogy, to see if The Hacks understood and how they manage to hold the C.E.T. on a nuke-blasted Earth. Can't wait to see what Anderhack pulls out of his ass! :laughing-rolling: "

I stopped reading the "new" books after the first two or three. They're of a very different callibre and it all seemed very arbitrary and cashcow-ish. If the son and Anderson have messed up the Dune timeline then I'm not surprised at all. I can't remember any parts of their books that "felt" right or even uncontrary. It all felt very Hercules/Xena low-budget, if you know what I mean. I don't think Brian has yet earned the right to continue his father's work, harsh as that sounds. I haven't read the finale and I never will, as I consider the work of the son and Anderson to be inferior fan-fiction. Hope that doesn't sound too awful.
A Thing of Eternity

Streaksy wrote: I stopped reading the "new" books after the first two or three. They're of a very different callibre and it all seemed very arbitrary and cashcow-ish. If the son and Anderson have messed up the Dune timeline then I'm not surprised at all. I can't remember any parts of their books that "felt" right or even uncontrary. It all felt very Hercules/Xena low-budget, if you know what I mean. I don't think Brian has yet earned the right to continue his father's work, harsh as that sounds. I haven't read the finale and I never will, as I consider the work of the son and Anderson to be inferior fan-fiction. Hope that doesn't sound too awful.
:lol: Nope, sounds like you'll fit in juuuust fine! Half of what you just said could have been right out of the mouths of any of us here! (On this website most of us were kicked off of the official Dune forum because we refused to stop pointing out errors and weak writing in the new novels).
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

":lol: Nope, sounds like you'll fit in juuuust fine! Half of what you just said could have been right out of the mouths of any of us here! (On this website most of us were kicked off of the official Dune forum because we refused to stop pointing out errors and weak writing in the new novels)."

Hah. Brilliant. I once wrote am Amazon review of one of their Dune prequels, and it began with "Brian herbert and co-rapist Kevin Anderson..." It never got approved. :P

By the way, you might notice I don't know how to do that quote-box thing. I can't see a button for it, but I do have special browser settings which annoyingly hides quite a lot. If anyone has strong photosensitivity they'll be accutely aware that most of the internet is stark white. If you override site colours (Firefox is the only browser I know of that allows that). Doing that also makes most buttons and images invisible which is infinitely frustrating. Overriding Windows colours is a pain because EVEN MICROSOFT APPS have lazy colour settings... meaning if I set my text to be white and my backgrounds to be black, most apps seem to observe the white text but keep the background white at all times so I can't see a damn thing. Even at the back end of 2011 the internet is so disability unaccessable. ;/ Sorry about the rant, but it sheds a little light on why I miss things and why I'm not the average user. So yeh, I can't see any "quote" options...
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

There is a quote button at the bottom right of each post. Also, if you are replying, you can scroll down to see previous posts in the thread; the button is there also. Finally, you can get quote tags using the buttons just above the reply box (as in, the one you type into).

Alternatively, you can write the tags thusly:

Code: Select all

[quote="Name"] [/quote]

On topic: As much as I like the idea of reclining in the arms of a pretty brown Polynesian woman, it strikes me that it may be more likely that brown repose refers to getting a tan, lying on the beach all day.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

SadisticCynic wrote: As much as I like the idea of reclining in the arms of a pretty brown Polynesian woman, it strikes me that it may be more likely that brown repose refers to getting a tan, lying on the beach all day.
I thought it's probably as simple as "brown people reposing", or "reposing the brown way".

Incidentally I did the quote thing the manual way, typing the thingies myself. ;/ If it didn't work it's all your fault because I don't see an edit button either. :P

EDIT: Found it by moving the mouse around until a tool-top appeared. Also, I now think you're right about the tan thing.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

BBCode tags reference

There may be a better page out there, but this is the one I keep on standby for when I need to do something I'm not sure about.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Streaksy wrote:Sigh. Forget it. Someone delete this post. Wasting my time here.
Hey, I know I'm late to the game here but maybe this will help...Go Fuck Yourself. :roll:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Hey, I know I'm late to the game here but maybe this will help...Go Fuck Yourself. :roll:
Oh, my! Now, Nukhrun. Just where is the sensitivity that makes this website so famous? Really!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Oh, my! Now, Nukhrun. Just where is the sensitivity that makes this website so famous? Really!
Oh, was that not helpful? :wink: I would think that people going out of their way to discuss this for him would've been welcoming enough. Then he turns all pissy on everyone and wants his post deleted. Maybe he should run over to DN and see how much this topic of discussion can generate.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Now, now. He apologized, we should give him another chance.

Next time, it's a crysknife in the eye though.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Now, now. He apologized, we should give him another chance.

Next time, it's a crysknife in the eye though.
Ok, ok. We're buddies again. :whistle:

Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

Pithy.
Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

I get the impression you read up to my misunderstanding then stopped reading. It WAS a misunderstanding and I come in peace. I've got a lot to learn about the internet and forums, and even, I'll concede, people. But I'm a good person and just monumentally misinterpreted things. Read past my outburst and if you still want me to fuck off I will.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Streaksy wrote:I get the impression you read up to my misunderstanding then stopped reading. It WAS a misunderstanding and I come in peace. I've got a lot to learn about the internet and forums, and even, I'll concede, people. But I'm a good person and just monumentally misinterpreted things. Read past my outburst and if you still want me to fuck off I will.
No problem. We've seen a lot of people leave like that though only to come back and keep starting shit, so if you're here to have fun and talk about Dune that's great. The more the merrier (in most cases).

Streaksy

Post by Streaksy »

Yeah. I realised my misunderstanding, appologized sincerely and thanked everyone for their virtuous patience. Then you gave ME shit out of your own misunderstanding. We're cool now but I'm just saying go easier on the next guy. I'm not everyone else you've had experience with.