maybe cliche, but favorite/least favorite character?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

endisbegun27

maybe cliche, but favorite/least favorite character?

Post by endisbegun27 »

due to most of my own friend thinking reading is lame, im able to have very few nerdy conversations, especially about dune :geek:
so, as cliche of a topic as it is, who was everyones favorite and most hated character in the series?

My own favorite would be Duncan, something always has been really appealing to me about the sterotypical heroic knight. Duncan goes down (the first time anyways) as a huge pimp, taking out all those Sardaukar and sacrificing himself for paul and jessica, that always struck me as being so noble, showing that ultimate loyalty to the atreides. Also, he was so badass, even the fremen respected him. Time and again as hes brought back hes still showing that dedication to the atreides, whether he knew he was doing it or not (poor hwi), AND he was good enough to be tegs protoge. everything about duncan is just great!

My least favorite would be Dr Yueh. Maybe its a kneejerk reaction to him betraying everyone, but Ive always just hated the guy. Frank gave him an extremely valid reason to betray everyone, I'm not saying he isn't well written, but man oh man I hate the guy, its always so satisfying to see him die at the barons hand. He also makes trips to the dentist extremely disappointing, as they will never give me a poison tooth

opinions?
until i see franks "notes" for myself, im still convinced they found a post-it that had the word cinnamon on it
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: maybe cliche, but favorite/least favorite character?

Post by SandRider »

after all these years, I still find Bijaz the dwarf the most intriguing character ....

least favorite(s) would be anybody in Heretics & Chapterhouse ... take your pick ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I don't have a least favourite character. The book is a unity and every character has a role to play. Take out some characters and the book will suffer.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Favorite: Leto II
Least Favorite: Duncan Idaho
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Leto II / GodEmperor favorite.. was the binding force across the 6 books.
Miles Teg a closed second.

Duncan/Duncan Ghola's Least favorite for many different reasons.

But like it was said, if you remove any of these, the series just wouldn't
the same.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I just got tired of Duncan's constant whining in the last two books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Dr. Kynes, comes to mind first. I also came to appreciate Bijaz after a couple of readings.
I really wish Uncle Malky had a larger appearance, Herbert does a great job setting him up as the opposite of Hwi I can't wait to meet him.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
trang

Post by trang »

Just the overuse of the character. Across what 5000+ years, across millions of planets, and galaxies, he is the only one who could be used for the Atreides line? (this thru GEOD)

Then the last two books, as a secret sex weapon?? never did follow that really, but again why did he choose Duncan?

Continuity? Who knows, could be that simple, maybe not. I thought the GodEmperor and the GP were enough.

Anyway back to Least and Most Fav...
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:Just the overuse of the character. Across what 5000+ years, across millions of planets, and galaxies, he is the only one who could be used for the Atreides line? (this thru GEOD)

Then the last two books, as a secret sex weapon?? never did follow that really, but again why did he choose Duncan?

Continuity? Who knows, could be that simple, maybe not. I thought the GodEmperor and the GP were enough.

Anyway back to Least and Most Fav...
I think I read somewhere that he brought Duncan back in the latter books by popular demand.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Leto II might be FH's greatest achievement. I really like Fenring, personally.

Least favorite: Hwi Noree
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

favourite character : Leto II, at first I liked him as the unstoppable superhuman, as a teenager I craved heroes but I was already tired of flawless characters, and then later it became evident to me I would never come close to understanding what was the GP without understanding the clues left by Leto II (and so by Frank of course)

least favourite : I'd be tempted to say Brian... otherwise I always found the rabbi annoying, I saw the point of this but I still found the guy's negative attitude worthy of Rebecca's witty rebuffals. Is it Joshua the guy who repairs the air pump and gets told off because it's not properly recycled ? Anyway, Leto II, cool ; rabbi,obnoxious.

That's kind of funny I never really thought of trying to find the least favourite character, but yeah it's a whole and every one plays its part according to the dance, you can't move a piece because it's a game where the pieces can't be moved.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Fav is Paul, hands down. Leto II was awesome, one of the greatest characters ever written, but Paul's rise and then downfall was epic to put the word epic itself to shame, and perfectly believably written.

Least favourite, I don't know. They all have their purposes, Jessica just annoyed me to no end though, she'd probably be the character I'd least like to meet out of the bunch.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I never liked Nayla, big ugly lummock.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

inhuien wrote:I never liked Nayla, big ugly lummock.

Yeah, Nayla's biggest character trait was that she was unthinkingly devoted to her "god-emporer".
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Apjak wrote:
inhuien wrote:I never liked Nayla, big ugly lummock.

Yeah, Nayla's biggest character trait was that she was unthinkingly devoted to her "god-emporer".

I know people like that.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You know people who are like that? Or you know that people (in general) like (prefer, approve of) that? :P

I always liked the fact that she would orgasm at the drop of a... rope. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I know people who are fanaticaly devoted to their god emperor.
~Pink Snowman
endisbegun27

Post by endisbegun27 »

hahaha bijaz!
thats funny, i didnt think anyone would mention him, he was always one of my favorites as well
hell, i even liked how they portrayed him in the children mini series

and yeah by least favorite i certainly didnt mean the book would be better without them. just if i was a character in dune id sure as shit wanna take them down. franks writing is so masterful hes just amazing at manipulating the readers emotions, its just ridiculous

im suprised some people didnt like duncan! i can see where youre coming from though, hes always just been the biggest pimp in the galaxy to me. im also surprised no one mentioned murbella, shes a hell of a character!

on a side note, did it kill anyone else seeing leto II in the new xmen movie? "next thing you know ill be going BALD, herrrr durrrr"
until i see franks "notes" for myself, im still convinced they found a post-it that had the word cinnamon on it
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Favorite: Paul, followed closely by Leto II, Dune Messiah Scytale and Miles Teg (Miles Teg is the only 'ideal' character in the book - the only one whose views were probably always matching with my own.)

Least Favorite: Last Duncan who wouldn't quit whining about being a stud, many of the BG from the last two books and also possessed Alia (perhaps just because I loved Alia from DM).
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Possessed Alia was a really tragic figure for me. The last scene with her is :cry:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nietzsche's mustache

Post by Nietzsche's mustache »

Paul Muad'Dib (as the preacher as well) and Leto II as my all time favorite literary characters.

Stilgar is pretty cool too.

Teg and Odrade are my favorites form Heretics and Chapterhouse.

Least favorites... dunno :think:

Duncan does get annoying from time to time, but i believe that is part of his role (purposed function).
But it is the body that is inspired: let us keep "the soul" out of it.
-Friedrich W. Nietzsche in Ecce Homo (1888)

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
-Leto II
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

ok... now I have written and deleted five times, my conclusion -I can not say - it would be the same as having to pick a favorite Pink Floyd record, I can not!
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dark Side of the Moon
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

well... then there's animals - I love this album to bits. The Final Cut, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Meddle etc.. I just can't pick one!
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Meddle? Seriously?

Animals... I'll give you that one.

But aren't you tired of The Wall? I can close my eyes and watch that movie in my head.
~Pink Snowman