Alternate Sequels for DUNE

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Alternate Sequels for DUNE

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Here's a hypothetical situation: If the Dune sequels, from Dune Messiah to Chapterhouse: Dune had never been written, which direction would YOU have preferred the Dune series to take it's course? How would you have wanted Frank Herbert to write the alternate following installments for Dune? What would they have been about? How would you have wanted the stories to be like? How would have wanted the story of Paul Atreides to be continued? What would the titles be for the alternate Dune installments? Who would the villains be? Which direction would the story have taken? Etc.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
DuneFishUK

Re: Alternate Sequels for DUNE

Post by DuneFishUK »

I'm glad that FH wrote DM ... but...

I would have definitely liked a pure Jihad book - a sidequel that splits off and does not feature Paul or any of the main characters from the first book (except maybe a cameo by Stilgar or Gurney). A pretty much standalone story that details a conquest or two, and gets a feel of how Muad'dib's vision changed the universe.

IMHO, there are so many possibilities for something like this, it makes you wonder how on earth they managed to make PoS so terrible... and boring. :?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Alternate Sequels for DUNE

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I in all total honesty wouldn't want anything that was in any way different than what FH gave us, up until Heretics anyways. For me those last 2 books aren't as important, but the other ones cover everything of importance really.

I don't really know what the point of other stories would have been. I'm sure FH would have made them into something meaningful, but really, Messiah, CoD and God Emperor cover all the main bases.

Maybe something between GEoD and HoD would have been decent. The rest I don't really have any interest in.