Looking back...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Nebiros

Looking back...

Post by Nebiros »

Looking back over the decades since Frank Herbert first published Dune in 1965, when was the best time to be a Dune fan? I wouldn't know since I have only been a fan since late 2003.

The first decade of the twenty-first century is obviously not the best of times with all this New Dune business. Although the Dune TV miniseries is great. The 90's (including the year 2000) saw the publication first New Dune books but it was not so bad in the sense that the first major lie of Paul not being born on Caladan was not yet written. But the 90's saw the release of the Dune computer games of which I am a big fan as well as some other fanfic which are actually good reads.

Perhaps it was the 80's. Three new Frank Herbert Dune novels, a Dune movie, the first of a lot of fanfic to come and a Frank Herbert Dune Short story. 1984 was for sure a red letter year for all things Dune. The release of Heretics of Dune, the Dune movie and the Dune encyclopedia. Dune fandom was at it's height. But not a very good year for Frank Herbert himself. 1986 however was a sad year when Frank Herbert passed away leaving no way to protect his franchise from a man with a combover and a pig voice.

I don't know much about Dune fans of the 70's though. This decade saw the release of Children of Dune and the first of several Dune merchandise in the form of a board game (to be followed in later years by a card game, a role playing game, computer games, another board game and Dune comic books). Was Frank Herbert more famous in the 70's compared to the mid 60's?

And finally the 60's. Dune was first published in 1965 and Dune Messiah in 1969. I don't know exactly how fast Frank Herbert rose to fame. I know that Dune was actually first released in 1963 in a science fiction magazine. I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.

In my opinion the greatest time to be a fan of Dune was 1984. Maybe this decade will be better than the previous since the New Dune books are declining in popularity.
zacher2005

Re: Looking back...

Post by zacher2005 »

Any excuse given for the changing of Paul's birthlace?

Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Pretty much all roads in nuDune lead back to KJA's claiming that Dune was written by Irulan rather than Frank Herbert, and therefore Dune is the inaccurate text, not the new books.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

Ampoliros wrote:Pretty much all roads in nuDune lead back to KJA's claiming that Dune was written by Irulan rather than Frank Herbert, and therefore Dune is the inaccurate text, not the new books.

wow....just .....wow
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
1995?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.
Yes, I read Dune when I was four. :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
1995?
1685?!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
1995?
1685?!
Oh, fir the love of God! Have I no warned you people before no to read the shit I write?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked being a Dune fan back in 1596, before the dark times, before the empire.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

Freakzilla wrote:I liked being a Dune fan back in 1596, before the dark times, before the empire.

I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Nebiros wrote:I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.
Yes, I read Dune when I was four. :P
Three times that year, IIRC.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Nebiros wrote: But the 90's saw the release of the Dune computer games of which I am a big fan
I'm a part of that era, first read Dune in the 90's and the computer games made me cream my jeans. Or it might have been all the pot I was smoking while I was playing the video games.
Nebiros wrote:as well as some other fanfic which are actually good reads.
Ah yes, fanfic.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

inhuien wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
1995?
1685?!
Oh, fir the love of God! Have I no warned you people before no to read the shit I write?
2525?
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

zacher2005 wrote:I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.
"That new kid is an abomination!" the balding hack said. "His mother deserves a punishment greater than anything in history. Death! It cannot come too quickly for that child or for the one who spawned him!" The asshat pickle fucker pointed a finger at zacher2005. "Get out of my work!"

"TRL?" the BoBo whispered. He snapped his attention back to zacher2005. "By the Great Father!"

"You don't understand, you Herbert doofuss," the hack said. "He's in my book! He's like the one before us, the one who gave us this legacy to rape! He stands in the background of our books like your father! He cannot be there, but he is! Waving his hand at us, not just his middle finger, like your father!"

"What!?" the BoBo said. "What's this nonsense about Frank Herbert, my father?!"

The hack straightened, lowered his pointing hand. "I've said too much!"
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

SandChigger wrote:
zacher2005 wrote:I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.
"That new kid is an abomination!" the balding hack said. "His mother deserves a punishment greater than anything in history. Death! It cannot come too quickly for that child or for the one who spawned him!" The asshat pickle fucker pointed a finger at zacher2005. "Get out of my work!"

"TRL?" the BoBo whispered. He snapped his attention back to zacher2005. "By the Great Father!"

"You don't understand, you Herbert doofuss," the hack said. "He's in my book! He's like the one before us, the one who gave us this legacy to rape! He stands in the background of our books like your father! He cannot be there, but he is! Waving his hand at us, not just his middle finger, like your father!"

"What!?" the BoBo said. "What's this nonsense about Frank Herbert, my father?!"

The hack straightened, lowered his pointing hand. "I've said too much!"

*golf clap
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Nice one, Chig! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie