• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Looking back...

    Image
      Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Looking back...

    Postby Nebiros » 15 Mar 2011 23:04

    Looking back over the decades since Frank Herbert first published Dune in 1965, when was the best time to be a Dune fan? I wouldn't know since I have only been a fan since late 2003.

    The first decade of the twenty-first century is obviously not the best of times with all this New Dune business. Although the Dune TV miniseries is great. The 90's (including the year 2000) saw the publication first New Dune books but it was not so bad in the sense that the first major lie of Paul not being born on Caladan was not yet written. But the 90's saw the release of the Dune computer games of which I am a big fan as well as some other fanfic which are actually good reads.

    Perhaps it was the 80's. Three new Frank Herbert Dune novels, a Dune movie, the first of a lot of fanfic to come and a Frank Herbert Dune Short story. 1984 was for sure a red letter year for all things Dune. The release of Heretics of Dune, the Dune movie and the Dune encyclopedia. Dune fandom was at it's height. But not a very good year for Frank Herbert himself. 1986 however was a sad year when Frank Herbert passed away leaving no way to protect his franchise from a man with a combover and a pig voice.

    I don't know much about Dune fans of the 70's though. This decade saw the release of Children of Dune and the first of several Dune merchandise in the form of a board game (to be followed in later years by a card game, a role playing game, computer games, another board game and Dune comic books). Was Frank Herbert more famous in the 70's compared to the mid 60's?

    And finally the 60's. Dune was first published in 1965 and Dune Messiah in 1969. I don't know exactly how fast Frank Herbert rose to fame. I know that Dune was actually first released in 1963 in a science fiction magazine. I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.

    In my opinion the greatest time to be a fan of Dune was 1984. Maybe this decade will be better than the previous since the New Dune books are declining in popularity.
    Nebiros
     
    Posts: 315
    Joined: 23 Apr 2008 01:55
    Location: Cedon

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby zacher2005 » 15 Mar 2011 23:08

    Any excuse given for the changing of Paul's birthlace?


    Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    zacher2005
     
    Posts: 81
    Joined: 04 Mar 2011 20:03
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Ampoliros » 16 Mar 2011 00:51

    Pretty much all roads in nuDune lead back to KJA's claiming that Dune was written by Irulan rather than Frank Herbert, and therefore Dune is the inaccurate text, not the new books.
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
    User avatar
    Ampoliros
     
    Posts: 2516
    Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
    Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby zacher2005 » 16 Mar 2011 07:39

    Ampoliros wrote:Pretty much all roads in nuDune lead back to KJA's claiming that Dune was written by Irulan rather than Frank Herbert, and therefore Dune is the inaccurate text, not the new books.




    wow....just .....wow
    zacher2005
     
    Posts: 81
    Joined: 04 Mar 2011 20:03
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby inhuien » 16 Mar 2011 08:38

    zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Freakzilla » 16 Mar 2011 08:58

    inhuien wrote:
    zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.


    1995?
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18061
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby SandChigger » 16 Mar 2011 09:05

    Nebiros wrote:I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.

    Yes, I read Dune when I was four. :P
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby SandChigger » 16 Mar 2011 09:06

    Freakzilla wrote:
    inhuien wrote:
    zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.


    1995?

    1685?!
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby inhuien » 16 Mar 2011 10:57

    SandChigger wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:
    inhuien wrote:
    zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.


    1995?

    1685?!

    Oh, fir the love of God! Have I no warned you people before no to read the shit I write?
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Freakzilla » 16 Mar 2011 11:17

    I liked being a Dune fan back in 1596, before the dark times, before the empire.
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 18061
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby zacher2005 » 16 Mar 2011 11:28

    Freakzilla wrote:I liked being a Dune fan back in 1596, before the dark times, before the empire.



    I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.
    zacher2005
     
    Posts: 81
    Joined: 04 Mar 2011 20:03
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Omphalos » 16 Mar 2011 12:52

    SandChigger wrote:
    Nebiros wrote:I wonder if there are any pre-1965 dune fans out there.

    Yes, I read Dune when I was four. :P


    Three times that year, IIRC.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6572
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby merkin muffley » 16 Mar 2011 14:47

    Nebiros wrote: But the 90's saw the release of the Dune computer games of which I am a big fan


    I'm a part of that era, first read Dune in the 90's and the computer games made me cream my jeans. Or it might have been all the pot I was smoking while I was playing the video games.

    Nebiros wrote:as well as some other fanfic which are actually good reads.


    Ah yes, fanfic.
    "I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
    User avatar
    merkin muffley
     
    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 23 Apr 2010 15:18
    Location: War Room

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Eyes High » 16 Mar 2011 14:58

    inhuien wrote:
    SandChigger wrote:
    Freakzilla wrote:
    inhuien wrote:
    zacher2005 wrote:Also what was the short story Frank herbert wrote about?
    1885's Eye had a short called The Road to Dune.


    1995?

    1685?!

    Oh, fir the love of God! Have I no warned you people before no to read the shit I write?

    2525?
    What fear is there in the night?
    Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
    User avatar
    Eyes High
    Patience Personified
     
    Posts: 2320
    Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
    Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby SandChigger » 17 Mar 2011 02:09

    zacher2005 wrote:I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.


    "That new kid is an abomination!" the balding hack said. "His mother deserves a punishment greater than anything in history. Death! It cannot come too quickly for that child or for the one who spawned him!" The asshat pickle fucker pointed a finger at zacher2005. "Get out of my work!"

    "TRL?" the BoBo whispered. He snapped his attention back to zacher2005. "By the Great Father!"

    "You don't understand, you Herbert doofuss," the hack said. "He's in my book! He's like the one before us, the one who gave us this legacy to rape! He stands in the background of our books like your father! He cannot be there, but he is! Waving his hand at us, not just his middle finger, like your father!"

    "What!?" the BoBo said. "What's this nonsense about Frank Herbert, my father?!"

    The hack straightened, lowered his pointing hand. "I've said too much!"
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby zacher2005 » 17 Mar 2011 07:34

    SandChigger wrote:
    zacher2005 wrote:I was a fan of dune in the years 86 BG, bust that. I'll be in Sisterhood of Dune waving in the backround like I am outside of TRL.


    "That new kid is an abomination!" the balding hack said. "His mother deserves a punishment greater than anything in history. Death! It cannot come too quickly for that child or for the one who spawned him!" The asshat pickle fucker pointed a finger at zacher2005. "Get out of my work!"

    "TRL?" the BoBo whispered. He snapped his attention back to zacher2005. "By the Great Father!"

    "You don't understand, you Herbert doofuss," the hack said. "He's in my book! He's like the one before us, the one who gave us this legacy to rape! He stands in the background of our books like your father! He cannot be there, but he is! Waving his hand at us, not just his middle finger, like your father!"

    "What!?" the BoBo said. "What's this nonsense about Frank Herbert, my father?!"

    The hack straightened, lowered his pointing hand. "I've said too much!"





    *golf clap
    zacher2005
     
    Posts: 81
    Joined: 04 Mar 2011 20:03
    Location: Colorado Springs, CO

    Re: Looking back...

    Postby Tleszer » 17 Mar 2011 08:12

    Nice one, Chig! :lol:
    DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
    User avatar
    Tleszer
     
    Posts: 2161
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02


    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests