Is Christopher Tolkien Doing It "Right"?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DUNEedain

Is Christopher Tolkien Doing It "Right"?

Post by DUNEedain »

As opposed to Brian "Asshat" Herbert? Of course I mean, editing and publishing his father`s notes and manuscripts?
Lost...somewhere between the Earth and my home...The Geraldine Fibbers
SadisticCynic

Re: Is Christopher Tolkien Doing It "Right"?

Post by SadisticCynic »

The comparison has come up from time to time. It's generally been agreed that Chris' approach is vastly superior. I think you'll find most of us would love to get our hands on Frank's notes etc, if indeed there are any, so that we can judge for ourselves how he might have proceeded with Dune 7.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
DUNEedain

Post by DUNEedain »

SadisticCynic wrote:The comparison has come up from time to time. It's generally been agreed that Chris' approach is vastly superior. I think you'll find most of us would love to get our hands on Frank's notes etc, if indeed there are any, so that we can judge for ourselves how he might have proceeded with Dune 7.
That`s what I thought. I should have known the subject would have come up before. Shame his son couldn`t have written 7 and left well enough alone.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

There is nothing scholarly, respectful, or even thought out about Bobo's approach to his father's literary estate, so no, it does not measure up.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DUNEedain

Post by DUNEedain »

Omphalos wrote:There is nothing scholarly, respectful, or even thought out about Bobo's approach to his father's literary estate, so no, it does not measure up.
For real. I was so excited about the "new" stories, but after reading the "prequels", I couldn`t take a shower hot enough to remove the taint. Bastard.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

You think the prequels are bad? Try reading "Hunters" and "Sandworms." Those two books actually made me angry. It is almost as though KJA and Brian said, "Sorry, Frank, that isn't how it's done. THIS is how you write epic sci-fi." :twisted:

Thank the Maker I haven't read their interquels.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The great tragedy is that Widdle Bwian Hewbewt wanted to be a big best-sewwing witer like Daddy was. Archiving and documenting just isn't nowhere as SEXAY! And besides, he'd had enough of that cleaning up after other people and analysis and writing up all the details when he was a hotel maid and insurance claims adjuster!

Thank gawd he found a prolific writer like Kevin J. Anderson to make all his dweams come twoooooooo! :roll:

(Or, he could be an evil mastermind just using the dumbass hack for his own nefarious purpose: tearing down the life's work of the Daddy whose love he's convinced himself he lacked as a child. Either way, fuck him and all who stand with him.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I wonder...would reading the "Books 7" count as a gom jabbar test? I only read the synopsis and that was bad enough.

I have to agree with wanting more of the notes. The only thing I read by either author that I liked was "Dreamer of Dune" because it gave some actual insights into who Frank was.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

Yes, Chris is doing it right. Notice how he didn't contract the fantasy equivalent of KJA and proceed to crap on every detail in the Lord of the Rings.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

He's doing it right because he understands Step One of the process:

Respect the work.

Everything else is just details. If you ain't got Step One ... well, then you're Bobo Herbert, bending over and grabbing ankle for a useless Rent-A-Hack™.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's asking a big much, isn't it? He thinks of Dune as a "giant sandbox"; has called it that repeatedly.

What cat respects the stuff in the box where it shits?
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

I'm sure he thinks of it as that because of all the sand. I could imagine him being the type to try and erect a jungle gym in the middle of the Sahara.
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Chris T is doing more or less perfect work, I can't really imagine how he could be doing a better job frankly.

I for one would highly NOT recommend reading Hunters and Sandworms. What KJA and BH had done to Dune was something of a joke to me up until Sandworms, then it really hit me emotionally in a very negative way.
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Chris T? Literary trust-fund baby but 100% loyal to his old man's work, also good enough to find the movies sticking in his craw. Still haven't read Children of Hurin yet, seems a bit redundant with what had already been published, but from what I've read at the shops, it is in no way a desecration.

My own negative emotional hit from BH came on the second reading of House Atreides :puke-huge: , first time through I slowly started to see that their lies about 'notes' had no basis, rereading the thing again, the Salusan bullshit was all too clear.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Lolronica wrote:Literary trust-fund baby
Are you forgetting that Christopher Tolkien was almost 40 when Lotr crested.

This is not CT.

:D
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Point taken, though the crest is harder to define. I love CT's work on the sagas of Middle Earth, purely jealous of the easy life, but CT has handled it with great grace, unlike the HLP gang.
DUNEedain

Post by DUNEedain »

Lolronica wrote:Chris T? Literary trust-fund baby but 100% loyal to his old man's work, also good enough to find the movies sticking in his craw. Still haven't read Children of Hurin yet, seems a bit redundant with what had already been published, but from what I've read at the shops, it is in no way a desecration.

My own negative emotional hit from BH came on the second reading of House Atreides :puke-huge: , first time through I slowly started to see that their lies about 'notes' had no basis, rereading the thing again, the Salusan bullshit was all too clear.
CT EXPANDED on the story.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Christopher Tolkien has enriched the world.

Brian Herbert has rubbed the world's nose in the product of a diarrheic hack he let play in his father's "sandbox".
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Well, that's a lovely image... :puke:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

That poor jungle gym....
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"For godssakes, get that diarrheic brat off the swings! Quick!"

:shock:
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Hackerson and Broin had the gall (have the URL somewhere), maybe the same interview cited elsewhere, to claim that their few lame short stories and Spiceworld are to the Dune Universe as the Silmarillion is to Middle Earth. Pull the other one, boys. :violence-stickwhack:
Lost Tales gives you a wealth of detail about exactly where JRT was and what he wrote that wasn't released, still haven't read all 12 volumes, but a truly lovely work, very rewarding to the reader, and absolute proof that CT worked purely from love and respect for his father's creation. Between seeing the commentary here and reading three of their novels, I don't believe the Spiceworld draft really existed, at least in anything like the published form.
DUNEedain

Post by DUNEedain »

As someone who`s read or owns everything that the Great Man has written, (at least, that has seen the light of day), plus all the ancillary books about him and Middle-Earth, plus all the Hildebrant calendars, etc., I can definitely say that CT would no more write a book set in the franchise than he could pull a Balrog out of his ass. Plus, and more importantly, HE WOULD NEVER EVEN CONSIDER IT. That`s why you can tell that Brian saw the moolah pouring into the Tolkien estate and said, "Durr, I can haz too?"
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

How many petitions or attempts have been made to request Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson to release the two safety deposits of Frank Herbert's notes? (If they really do exist, since we suspect that they may not.) Have they given weird rationalities for why they won't release the notes to the public?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No idea, but we had a sign-up/petition thread over on Dune Novels at one time calling for them to release at least the outline. It had over 100 names on it, IIRC.

But they let someone post some shit in the thread that fucked up the format, essentially sabotaging the effort. (Byron or the webmaster probably could have edited the offending post and fixed the problem fairly easily if they had wanted to.) I haven't checked it to see if it's still messed up or not.

These aren't people who are amenable to such requests/attempts, so they're really a waste of time & effort.