A Frank Herbert-approved Dune Timeline?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Krazy Kwisatz

A Frank Herbert-approved Dune Timeline?

Post by Krazy Kwisatz »

Hello,

Does anyone know of a timeline of Dune historical events that is purely FH canonical (in that it doesn't have Dune Encyclopedia or Prequel info)?

I've seen the following timeline, but I think it has encyclopedia influences in it.

http://www.usul.net/books/timeline.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DuneFishUK

Re: A Frank Herbert-approved Dune Timeline?

Post by DuneFishUK »

Short answer... no.

You're right on the one you linked - it is the timeline from the Encyclopedia.

The only other officially released one is the Torkos one, but that includes McDune events.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Krazy Kwisatz

Post by Krazy Kwisatz »

Thanks. It seems like 90% of the DE was made up by its author. And as for McDune, well, it's a non-factor for me.

I was looking for canon info on the order of key events (like the discovery of Arrakis, and the formation of the spacing guild, etc), and how close these events were to each other.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Krazy Kwisatz wrote:Thanks. It seems like 90% of the DE was made up by its author.
Remember that with the Encyclopedia it's authors: there were 43 of them, including editor/compiler McNelly. :)

And I don't know if the percentage of original material is as high as 90%, but it's definitely high.
I was looking for canon info on the order of key events (like the discovery of Arrakis, and the formation of the spacing guild, etc), and how close these events were to each other.
There's no definite canon date for the discovery of Arrakis, and the most information on the chronology for the formation of the Guild is probably in the "Religion Appendix" ("Appendix II: The Religion of Dune") of Dune itself. (But keep in mind that the Terminology and all the appendices are in-universe documents and therefore potentially erroneous, although the "Religion Appendix" is presented as an academic essay, with references to Duniverse authors & their works.)

Frank Herbert left a lot of things indefinite (it's fashionable these days in the "in" Dune circles [of circle-jerkers?] to refer to these as "gaps" and "blanks"), so there's quite a bit of wiggle room for crafting your own interpretation of events. There's no need to accept the sphincter-pinched "everything important happened within a couple hundred years and then nothing changed for ten thousand" bullshit of McDune.

But it sounds like you already know that. ;)

(See the C.E.T. thread in the Religion forum for recent discussion [and speculation] on when that event took place in comparison with the end of the Jihad and the Battle of Corrin.)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say Chigga, why don't you work on one ?

like the spice cycle thing, I'd take your assumptions/conclusions over anybody else ....

(Sorry Freak; you've got more Dune Lore in your melon than anybody else,
but the SandChigger is just plain smarter ...)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(That was plain rude. If I'm so damned smart, how come I ain't rich and don't live in a big castle somewhere. :lol: )
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I thought you did, another illusion shattered:/, next you'll be telling me you don't shit marble!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nope, sorry.

But it does feel that way sometimes, if that helps? :?