Byron's Own Words

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

Byron's Own Words

Post by Mr. Teg »

For those of you still clinning to the fence by a fingernail regarding Ol'Dune Pussy, here is a recent quote from dumbnovels concerning the fate of the Sardaukar in God Emperor of Dune:

Schu's Post...
Frank didn't tend to dwell on battles and such. Not unless they were important to the plot or big picture or tone. I can't see the annihilation of the Sardaukar being terribly important in the big picture.
Byron's response...

I found it a bit sad, though, that the Corrinos and their elite fighters kind of ended in a fizzle rather than a bang. I would've hoped for a more active struggle. But, alas, we've got what we've got.
Sound familiar?
Can there be any doubt he actually likes the Pinky and Brain approach to Dune?
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Re: Byron's Own Words

Post by lotek »

now does he like it for what it is or for what he gets from it?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I doubt you'll find out since he won't admit reading it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

He also said he wanted to know more about Gurney Halleck, and to me KJA and BH's bastardization of Gurney Halleck is one of their worst offenses. But they debase all the characters they work with. They should just stay away from it all together.

Also, I feel like I know quite a bit about Gurney by the end of Children of Dune. I know that FH's Gurney definitely didn't have the background KJA and BH gave him.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The "wanting to know more" thing is the sickness at the root of all EU nonsense, both in the McDune-iverse and elsewhere.

The problem being that no one ever gets to "know more." There isn't a "more." There's just officially licensed fanfic.

Intelligent people grasp this intuitively; sadly, SF/F fandom is not exactly bursting with this sort of person. More typical is the "read anything with the correct logo" reader and the obsessive completist.

Continuing with Gurney as an example, none of us will ever "know more" about him, short of Frank's notes being released by the HLP. And even then, those would just be notes. Unpublished. Lacking context. But they'd still be 1,000 times more official than anything Spanky and Bobo have ever written; they're just two idiots working at the McDune Factory, cranking out an annual piece of fanfic for a paycheck.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

lotek wrote:now does he like it for what it is or for what he gets from it?

I think it's now apparent he definitely likes it for what it is or you can say he definitely doesn't not like the mcdune approach.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Post by lotek »

enough with the double negatives already :lol:

I read bits of my new Dune Encyclopedia, and I did find some stuff that was a bit off the mark but it still conveys a general feeling of respect for the original.

To claim the DE was to be ignored so it wouldn't confuse the two idiots is bollocks... it would have been a good example of what to do if you were to mess around with canon.
There are other ways than barging in and trying to force the big round shape in the big square hole!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

lotek wrote:I read bits of my new Dune Encyclopedia, and I did find some stuff that was a bit off the mark but it still conveys a general feeling of respect for the original.
I suppose that HLP logic here is that, since BH is FH's son, respect for the original is kinda redundant... :roll:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

MrFlibble wrote:
lotek wrote:I read bits of my new Dune Encyclopedia, and I did find some stuff that was a bit off the mark but it still conveys a general feeling of respect for the original.
I suppose that HLP logic here is that, since BH is FH's son, respect for the original is kinda redundant... :roll:
But, but, but they own the copyright!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:
But, but, but they own the copyright!
Which to them equates to adequate research and consistency with the originals.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Freakzilla wrote:Which to them equates to adequate research and consistency with the originals.
Rather, the attitude is, "if the new books are inconsistent with the originals, the worse for the originals!" Way to go, guys!

BTW, judging by the recent posts in a Russian Dune forum I sometimes visit, this very attitude offended people who were initially more tolerant of the McDune books, viewing them as a "nice read, even though not on par with the originals". People also note the new books are boring and repetitive, and some have been very disappointed with the suspension of the "Heroes" series as well. BH and KJA seem to be losing their ground at a fast pace...

[Edit] After reading SandChigger's blog I realized that I made a mistake calling the "inquels" "the "Heroes" series", for which I apologize. I should have said "the "Heroes" books that are absolutely not tied into any sequence whatsoever, and are completely standalone works of nearly polished prose". Sorry for any misunderstandings that could have arisen because of my careless choice of words! I repeat, there is no such thing as "the "Heroes" series" (unless the expression is used to refer to the Heroes of Might and Magic game series, that is).
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

MrFlibble wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Which to them equates to adequate research and consistency with the originals.
Rather, the attitude is, "if the new books are inconsistent with the originals, the worse for the originals!"
Princess Irulan in Paul of Dune wrote: FUCK the originals.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

MrFlibble wrote:
Rather, the attitude is, "if the new books are inconsistent with the originals, the worse for the originals!" Way to go, guys!

BTW, judging by the recent posts in a Russian Dune forum I sometimes visit, this very attitude offended people who were initially more tolerant of the McDune books, viewing them as a "nice read, even though not on par with the originals". People also note the new books are boring and repetitive, and some have been very disappointed with the suspension of the "Heroes" series as well. BH and KJA seem to be losing their ground at a fast pace...

[Edit] After reading SandChigger's blog I realized that I made a mistake calling the "inquels" "the "Heroes" series", for which I apologize. I should have said "the "Heroes" books that are absolutely not tied into any sequence whatsoever, and are completely standalone works of nearly polished prose". Sorry for any misunderstandings that could have arisen because of my careless choice of words! I repeat, there is no such thing as "the "Heroes" series" (unless the expression is used to refer to the Heroes of Might and Magic game series, that is).
Even if there are no direct ties the inter-equals were clearly a series, they are meant to bridge the gap from the end of the House series to the beginning of Dune by bringing every character into the right place. re: Dr. Yueh joins the Atreides at the end of WoD, and we are left with an unresolved plot line regarding Shaddam's ghola army.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Superdog wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:

Even if there are no direct ties the inter-equals were clearly a series, they are meant to bridge the gap from the end of the House series to the beginning of Dune by bringing every character into the right place. re: Dr. Yueh joins the Atreides at the end of WoD, and we are left with an unresolved plot line regarding Shaddam's ghola army.
I think KJA would know a series when he saw one :snooty:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Superdog wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:

I think KJA would know a series when he dictahiked one :snooty:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

MrFlibble wrote:[Edit] After reading SandChigger's blog I realized that I made a mistake calling the "inquels" "the "Heroes" series", for which I apologize. I should have said "the "Heroes" books that are absolutely not tied into any sequence whatsoever, and are completely standalone works of nearly polished prose". Sorry for any misunderstandings that could have arisen because of my careless choice of words! I repeat, there is no such thing as "the "Heroes" series" (unless the expression is used to refer to the Heroes of Might and Magic game series, that is).
:lol: Russian sarcasm at its best! :D

(Is that the forum I joined after seeing a link from it in my access logs?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

SandChigger wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:[Edit] After reading SandChigger's blog I realized that I made a mistake calling the "inquels" "the "Heroes" series", for which I apologize. I should have said "the "Heroes" books that are absolutely not tied into any sequence whatsoever, and are completely standalone works of nearly polished prose". Sorry for any misunderstandings that could have arisen because of my careless choice of words! I repeat, there is no such thing as "the "Heroes" series" (unless the expression is used to refer to the Heroes of Might and Magic game series, that is).
:lol: Russian sarcasm at its best! :D
:lol:
SandChigger wrote: (Is that the forum I joined after seeing a link from it in my access logs?)
Yeah, that's the one :) I'd dare say it's generally rather... deserted :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe I should hang out there more often then; maybe I could see a ghost! :D
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

SandChigger wrote:Maybe I should hang out there more often then; maybe I could see a ghost! :D
You're always welcome! :D Would be neat to spice up things out there too :lol: (There's that guy who posts stuff like "I like the new books, very much" whenever opportunity arises :P )
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mmmm... someone itching to have their water taken! :twisted:
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

And poured onto the sand, I hope...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

More Byron Words!!! http://forum.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/view ... 1782#71782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boardadmin wrote:
arnoldo wrote:
boardadmin wrote:A lot of fans have asked for the audio versions of the books. Guess a lot of people like to listen to them while they commute. Audible.com and MacMillan have the books available on audio CD. I've listed the links below for convenience.

Dune (Audible.com)

Dune (MacMillan Audio)

I downloaded this audiobook via audible.com and was disappointed that this supposedly "unabridged" version was missing the Appendices. Does the CD format of this audiobook have the four appendices?
Good question. It's been a while since I listened to it so i don't recall. I loaned out my audio CDs and haven't gotten them back yet.
Way to act on the behalf of the HLP. You're a fountain of knowledge. :roll:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

google ain't Merritt's friend, either ..... :roll:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I would never have expected to hear the appendicies on the audio book. Would you?

I'll have to check on that when I get home.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:I would never have expected to hear the appendicies on the audio book. Would you?
No. I listen to a lot of audio presentations, and I've never yet run into things like appendices, footnotes, endnotes, or whatever actually being read out.

Although, in the case of Dune, they would certainly be a welcomed addition, I wouldn't expect them to be there.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.