Dune covers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

JustSomeGuy

Re: Dune covers

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I'm wondering how all these covers were chosen. Did Mr. Herbert have the final say, or...?
Any response will be appreciated, even if it's just to say you don't know.
I bring nothing to the table.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Did Mr. Herbert have the final say, or...?
I don't think so. Writers rarely, if at all, have any say in the process of finding an illustrator. There is a good reason for this. Writers tend to be very protective of their stories. Illustrators work best when they are separated from this kind of pressure. In order to create the best picture book possible, the illustrator has to be free to add his own voice to the project, and that can’t be accomplished with someone looking over their shoulder.

"The publisher works with the illustrator through sketching, layout, and final illustrations, and may not involve the author much in the process. Authors are often unhappy about that, but it's done to let the illustrator develop his or her own vision.

Any illustrator who may be assigned a manuscript will also be able to think about it visually. Authors and illustrators bring different skills to a picture book, and just as a writer does not need writing suggestions from an illustrator, an illustrator does not need illustration suggestions from a writer. Above all, the illustrator does not need descriptions of a setting or a person; though the author may imagine them one way, it is the illustrator's job to bring them to life. The result can be both surprising and pleasing to the author, as the illustrator takes the illustrations beyond what the writer had been able to imagine."

SOURCE
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Thank you.
      I bring nothing to the table.
      Omphalos
      Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

In foreign editions the author is virtually never consulter; what do thwy know about appealing to a foreign audience, after all? But I know from visits to the FH archives at Fullerton that FH had personal input into the American first edition covers of Dune and GEoD.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
      ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
      Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Omphalos wrote:I know from visits to the FH archives at Fullerton that FH had personal input into the American first edition covers of Dune and GEoD.
      Schoenherr, Di Fate & Marvin covers ? Waw ! You MUST share ! ;)
        Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
        ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Aw sh*t I want.

I've got the Dune reissue edition, and Ace publications DM, GEoD and HoD. DM is prebound, tis my pride.
          When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
          Freakzilla
          Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That was the first box set I bought. They dissintegrated from use.

My first copy of Dune was the movie paperback I picked up in the Shreveport airport.

Who would have thought there was an airport in Shreveport?
          Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
          ~Pink Snowman
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

What's Shreveport.
          When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Demerzel wrote:What's Shreveport.
          http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=shr ... CDwQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
          Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
          ~Pink Snowman
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Never been to the US :|
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Demerzel wrote:Never been to the US :|
          That's no excuse for not knowing where Shreveport is. :hand:
          ~Pink Snowman
          Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

You talk funny.
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

~Pink Snowman
          Nietzsche's mustache

Post by Nietzsche's mustache »

Freakzilla wrote:You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

Goodfellas?
          But it is the body that is inspired: let us keep "the soul" out of it.
          -Friedrich W. Nietzsche in Ecce Homo (1888)

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
          -Leto II
          Nietzsche's mustache

Post by Nietzsche's mustache »

Henry Hill: You're a pistol, you're really funny. You're really funny.
          Tommy DeVito: What do you mean I'm funny?
          Henry Hill: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy.
          [laughs]
          Tommy DeVito: What do you mean, you mean the way I talk? What?
          Henry Hill: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you tell the story and everything.
          Tommy DeVito: [it becomes quiet] Funny how? What's funny about it?
          Anthony Stabile: Tommy no, You got it all wrong.
          Tommy DeVito: Oh, oh, Anthony. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?
          Henry Hill: Jus...
          Tommy DeVito: What?
          Henry Hill: Just... ya know... you're funny.
          Tommy DeVito: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
          Henry Hill: Just... you know, how you tell the story, what?
          Tommy DeVito: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!
          Henry Hill: [long pause] Get the fuck out of here, Tommy!
          Tommy DeVito: [everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

:lol:
          But it is the body that is inspired: let us keep "the soul" out of it.
          -Friedrich W. Nietzsche in Ecce Homo (1888)

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
          -Leto II
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yeah, I'm trying to broaden my movie quote horizons. :D
          ~Pink Snowman
          A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Forget not knowing where this place is, I've never even heard of it, and I live in america's hat!
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:cylon101:

Shreveport is the third largest city in Louisiana. It is the principal city of the fourth largest metropolitan area in the state of Louisiana and is the 109th-largest city in the United States.

Shreveport was founded in 1836 by the Shreve Town Company, a corporation established to develop a town at the juncture of the newly navigable Red River and the Texas Trail, an overland route into the newly independent Republic of Texas and, prior to that time, into Mexico.

Shreveport was established to launch a town at the meeting point of the Red River and the Texas Trail. The Red River was cleared and made newly navigable by Captain Henry Miller Shreve, who commanded the United States Army Corps of Engineers. A 180-mile (289 km) long natural logjam, the Great Raft, had previously obstructed passage to shipping. Shreve used a specially modified riverboat, the Heliopolis, to remove the logjam. The company and the village of Shreve Town were named in Shreve's honor.

During the American Civil War, Shreveport was the capital of Louisiana from 1863–1865, having succeeded, first, Baton Rouge, and then Opelousas after each fell under Union control. The city was a Confederate stronghold throughout the war and was the site of the headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederate Army. Isolated from events in the east, the Civil War continued in the Trans-Mississippi theater for several weeks after Robert E. Lee's surrender in April 1865, and the Trans-Mississippi was the last Confederate command to surrender, on May 26, 1865. Confederate President Jefferson Davis attempted to flee to Shreveport when he left Richmond but was captured en route in Irwinville, Georgia.

As of the 2011 estimated census the population of Shreveport was 215,192. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 41.2% white, 54.7% black or African American, 0.4% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.9% from some other race and 1.5% from two or more races. 2.5% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Now you've heard of it. :D
          ~Pink Snowman
          SandChigger
          KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SALOOT! :dance:
          Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Not only did they have an airport, but it had a copy of Dune for sale in it.

I think that was my point.

:?
          ~Pink Snowman
          Serkanner
          Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A history of a city with a Dune reference ... cool!
          "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
          and wrote a Dune Novel."
          jakoye

Post by jakoye »

Freakzilla wrote:Biggest collection of cover images I've found: http://www.arrakis.co.uk/books.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
          Love those USA Ace Series covers. That was the original set I had (I to IV) and those covers always struck a chord in me. I even remember sketching out the one from CoD, which I think I still have somewhere.

Those Japanese covers are ridonkulous. Dune anime!
          jakoye

Post by jakoye »

Also, there's a discussion thread on the color of stillsuits. Because of the covers on these books, my first exposure to the Dune universe, I was always under the impression that stillsuits were white (which made sense, b/c white garments would be cooler and reflect the sun). But the thread clearly established that stillsuits were described as grey.

Ah, all my childhood dreams, proven false! Next you're gonna say "Alia" should be pronounced "Ah-lee-ya"!