Frank Herbert Lives by Byron Merritt

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

lotek

Frank Herbert Lives by Byron Merritt

Post by lotek »

http://www.sffworld.com/authors/m/merri ... ives1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here we go :lol:
My first clear memory of my grandpa was when he lived in Port Townsend on Ivy Drive near a wooded cove surrounded by pines and water. It was June of 1972 and I was seven years old.
"Do you know what those big white letters on the cover say?" he asked.
I scanned the book's surface and saw the letters he was referring to. "Fffrrrannnk Herrrbbberrt," I said, then looked up in astonishment. "That's your name!"
No wonder he can't understand Dune if at 7 he read like a 4 year old :)
My memory spun back to the meeting in Grandpa's study when I was seven. "I write." I had no idea what that truly meant... until now.
I believe it is "until then" ;)
Unless... no he can't have meant what now means :(
I spent several summers with Grandpa after that and learned a lot from him. I took him stories I'd written and watched as he meticulously went over them. He would give me pointers on plot structure, the use of adjectives, and many other things that helped me weave tales. But I could never create a world as complex as his no matter how hard I tried. It seemed an impossible feat to create, as my Uncle Brian Herbert said of the original Dune novel in his Afterword to Dune: House Atreides - "a magnum opus that stands as one of the most complex, multilayered novels ever written." How did Grandpa do it? What grain of sand wafted into that brain of his, creating such an incredibly textured universe?
again poor understanding of how art works in general, it is not some form of spontaneous creation, talent needs research and work to create a masterpiece(otherwise you're just a hack with delusions of grandeur)
After Grandpa's death, I still hadn't realised how important he was. I missed him terribly, an emptiness that one feels when a family loses someone close to them. What I hadn't realised was how it would affect others
wow...
almost felt empathy there, but...
he last Dune novel Grandpa wrote, Chapterhouse Dune, ended on a cliffhanger, promising something greater and more profound in the final book. [...] Besides, [Brian] didn't know exactly where his dad was going with the Dune series before he died.
After more haranguing by agents and publishers, Brian was contacted by an editor who introduced Brian to [...] best-selling author Kevin J. Anderson, and they began throwing ideas around. After months of painstaking research and deliberation, they decided to start setting the groundwork for three prequels to the original Dune (Dune: House Atreides, Dune: House Harkonnen, and Dune: House Corrino), but still had no clear idea how the final book should end. What did Frank Herbert have in mind for 'Dune 7'?
Next Page
:puke:
"Just keep a backup copy of everything you write off premises," Brian told me he had said to his father on several occasions. "It was the insurance agent in me talking," he recalled later. "Fire, flood, or any number of disasters could have ruined his work if he wasn't careful. Little did I know he would take my advice to the extreme." Brian's advice would bear fruit he couldn't have imagined.
did the housemaid in him advise Frank to clean up his notes?
In the middle of June 1997, my own mother (Penny Merritt) called me. There was an air of excitement in her voice. We went through the usual 'how are you' and 'I'm fine how are you' type conversation, then I finally had to ask:
"What's going on?"
"What do you mean?" she asked, trying to sound calm and collected, but failing miserably.
"Mom. What's going on?"
"Oh honey, it's just wonderful," she said in a quavering voice.
"What is?"
"We've found notes for a seventh Dune book. They were discovered in a safety deposit box in Seattle after all these years."
and you know what that means dontcha?
Kaaching'!!

The rest is history!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Frank Herbert Lives by Byron Merritt

Post by Nekhrun »

I'd like to see what those tips about adjectives were that he gave Byron. Maybe we could forward them on to Keith.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That whole story has changed so many times. Keith and the HLP should just put "Professional Liars" on their business cards.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Nekhrun wrote:I'd like to see what those tips about adjectives were that he gave Byron. Maybe we could forward them on to Keith.
Well spoken :lol:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

MrFlibble wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:I'd like to see what those tips about adjectives were that he gave Byron. Maybe we could forward them on to Keith.
Well spoken :lol:
Yes.

It's so frustrating.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say, quit bumping up that cocksucker's view count and making him think somebody
other than us pays any attention to his babbling .... read all Merritt's bullshit
here, and bump the archive's viewcount ...

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewforum.php?f=623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't think that's view4all, is it? :?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Indeed it tis.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Then why is the T(A)U board insisting I log in first? :?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you've pissed off The Tidwell ..... :dance:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ah! Probably has to do with permission settings, and not that I've hidden it. I obviously need to set it so that unregistereds have the right to see. Will figure it out later tonight. This damn board is a lot more sophisticated than the last one. I always miss shtuff like that.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!